Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Fat Recipes Tried and True

Default Low Fat Recipes Tried and True

Sometimes I get into kind of a rut with low fat recipes, nothing new that sounds good or I make something new and we don't like it.

So how about a thread with your tried and true low fat recipes?? I would love to try some new ones!

Here is one of my new favorites, we have it at least once a week as a side dish for chicken or pork.

RICE PILAF

INGREDIENTS

1 medium onion, chopped

1/2 cup bulgur

1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice

1/2 cup uncooked broken vermicelli (1-inch pieces)

2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth

1/3 cup water

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

SERVINGS 6

DIRECTIONS

In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, bulgur, rice and vermicelli in butter for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown. Add the broth, water and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFO

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 183 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

And here's one of my favorite Thanksgiving ones that I posted on another thread. Of course I top mine with homemade whipping cream but it's still alot healthier than pumpkin pie, right?

Pumpkin Custards

INGREDIENTS

3 egg whites, lightly beaten

2/3 cup sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Dash ground cloves

1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk

SERVINGS 8

DIRECTIONS

In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites, sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Add pumpkin and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into eight ungreased 6-oz. custard cups.
    Place the cups in a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan; add 1 in. of water to pan. Bake at 325 for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or chill. Yield: 8 servings.

Nutritional Analysis: 1 serving equals 125 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

psst would you mind defining "low" fat recipes so I know what to add.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    psst would you mind defining "low" fat recipes so I know what to add.
    I don't have specific criteria. We just try to eat healthier as a family so really anything that you would consider "low" fat.

I just love to get other people's healthy recipes that they have tried out and know produce good results. For example, that yummy cheeseburger and fries casserole that you posted, my kids LOVE that one!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Ok wasn't sure if there was a definition or not. I'll think about it some and get back to this thread. Everything I've tried lately hasn't been too hot so I don't want to promote it too much ya know.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post
    Sometimes I get into kind of a rut with low fat recipes, nothing new that sounds good or I make something new and we don't like it.

So how about a thread with your tried and true low fat recipes?? I would love to try some new ones!

Here is one of my new favorites, we have it at least once a week as a side dish for chicken or pork.

RICE PILAF

INGREDIENTS

1 medium onion, chopped

1/2 cup bulgur

1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice

1/2 cup uncooked broken vermicelli (1-inch pieces)

2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth

1/3 cup water

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

SERVINGS 6

DIRECTIONS

In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, bulgur, rice and vermicelli in butter for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown. Add the broth, water and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFO

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 183 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
    Oh, this sounds like it'd be lower in sodiu,m than prepared mixes.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
    Oh, this sounds like it'd be lower in sodiu,m than prepared mixes.
    Ok, so of course I had to check this out after you said that!! The suspense was killing me! (I am a big nerd!) But here are the stats for Rice a Roni pilaf:

1 cup serving = 310 calories, 9gm fat, 2 gm Sat Fat, 52g carbs, 1gm fiber, and 1180 mg of sodium.

Wow, can you believe the difference in the sodium??!! You were totally right Hedy!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

Ok I apologize. I haven't been cooking lately. I will be cooking this weekend so I will post what turns out good
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    Ok I apologize. I haven't been cooking lately. I will be cooking this weekend so I will post what turns out good
    Ok, we're going to hold you to that!!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post
    I don't have specific criteria. We just try to eat healthier as a family so really anything that you would consider "low" fat.

I just love to get other people's healthy recipes that they have tried out and know produce good results. For example, that yummy cheeseburger and fries casserole that you posted, my kids LOVE that one!
    Would you mind reposting the cheeseburger and fries recipe or direct me to where it was originally posted? Thanks!
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES