Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good place for pet supplies?

I feel so dumb, and like such a bad doggie mom!
    Brownie has fleas! Well, she had them. We checked her last night, and found some, so we got her some shampoo and a new box of the flea control drops at Wal-mart. I can't believe I have been letting her scratch for the last week and didn't notice it was fleas. We had just bathed her a couple of weeks ago and she seemed to be fine, but I guess they just cropped up somewhere she goes.
    We will treat the yard and keep treating her. I hadn't thought about her being allergic to the fleas, I will keep that in mind.
    Thanks, everyone, for all the great suggestions.
    Sunshine Rewards

I'm not a vet but if i were you i'd think twice about using flea drops purchased OTC, like Hartz. Theyve been linked to serious side effects.
    http://www.hartzvictims.org/index.php
    SunshineRewards
    Thanks KinziePooh!

Most definately do not buy your pet flea products at Walmart. First off, the ones you apply to your back in liquid form have pesticides in them, and I have seen them do quite a bit of damage to small dogs. You may pay a little more for frontline or advantage, but they are definately worth it in risk factor. As for flea shampoo, Dawn dish detergent is probably the best flea killer you will find, and good for those greasy coated dogs, but do use a cream rinse after, even a persons will do. Let your dog soak for about 10 min after soaping him up, you will be amazed at the amount of fleas you get off. Remember,to use a wash cloth to clean around the face and eyes, if possible, put mineral oil in the eyes first to avoid getting soap in them. If you start washing in the middle of you dog, all the fleas are going to run into the ears, eyes and butt end, so start at the back and front and work into the middle.

We did buy Hartz, thanks for the warning. She doesn't have a negative reaction to their products, except for the fact they don't work very well. We will order some Advantix online for long-term use. She is temporarily flea-free (try typing that, it's hard!) and we promise to better doggie parents!
    Thanks again for all the advice!
    kelly
    Sunshine Rewards

I just ordered Advantix from Petco online. I'm a good mommy!
    Sunshine Rewards

Where is the cheapest place to order the flea control and heart worm meds online or even in person ? Sence moving 2 months ago we have not treated our 2 dogs and we need to sence now we have a HUGE back yard that they are always playing in . thanks for the help !

Sarah
    Sarah~Mama to David, Emma, Ashlynn-grace and Peyton Alise 10-4-07Lilypie Breastfeeding PicLilypie Breastfeeding TickerSunshine Rewards