Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good place for pet supplies?

Default Good place for pet supplies?

My beagle has itchy skin several times a year and I need to buy her something like a neck cone and maybe some vitamins.
    Any SR shopping site suggestions?
    Any general dog related suggestions?
    Sunshine Rewards

Have you tried Pet Care RX? They have a lot of stuff and once I ordered from them, they keep sending me coupons in the mail.

Thanks! Now I am trying to figure out what to try first.
    Sunshine Rewards

Do you already use flea prevention? I ask because I used to work in a vets office, and I'd say 80% of dogs who would come in for itching/scratching, would end up having fleas - and the owners always SWORE they didn't have them, or at least the owner had never seen them. But they're sneaky little buggers!!! A good test is to use a flea comb (or as fine a comb/brush as you have) on the dog as it is standing over white paper towels. When you are done, look for "pepper" on the paper towel. If you find ANY, then the dog has fleas. The pepper is actually dried flea poop If you take the paper towel and moisten the pepper slightly, you'll see it turn red - dried blood! Sorry if it's too much info for some, but I hate to see dogs a-scratching all the time when it could easily be fixed!! If your dog doesn't have fleas, then I'm afraid I'm not much help to you Could be seasonal allergies, though a vet may be your best bet then!! Good luck to you!!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

We're pretty sure it isn't fleas, but I will check her the way you described to be safe. She had trouble last year around this time to so I was thinking it was allergies. Thanks!
    Sunshine Rewards

Not to talk too bad about petcarerx but there is another thread going on about them right now. I personally will not buy from them again because of this other thread. I am not sure where else to buy from though.
    <Sunshine Rewards

Ive used petffoddirect.com for pet stuff and i *think* they prescription stuff too.They are also participating with sunshine.
    SunshineRewards
    Thanks KinziePooh!

I recommended Pet care Rx earlier, but I suggest you read the other thread about them. I wouldn't buy from them now either.

Sorry for the confusion!

Quote Originally Posted by luvdisney00 View Post
    I recommended Pet care Rx earlier, but I suggest you read the other thread about them. I wouldn't buy from them now either.

Sorry for the confusion!
    I wouldn't patronize PetCare RX anymore either. As for the beagle...

Several years ago we switched our VERY ITCHY lab to Purina ONE for sensitive systems. His fur changed almost overnight. The formula with salmon helped him a lot. We have to get prescriptions for him occasionally - steroids, special shampoo, and some other stuff - but the food has really helped.

My little beagle had a rash this weekend on her tummy from trying to chase the labs around the field, and I just gave her a bath with my Arbonne shampoo (wonderful stuff for adults, kids, and the pets!!) and she was fine two days later.

I have had good luck getting pet supplies online from Petco and Petsmart -- both through Sunshine.

Sounds like allergies are quite a possiblity with your beagle since its seasonal. My guess is not food allergy or it would be year round. Even one flea bite can send a dog that is allergic to flea bites into a fit of scratching and itching. Is your dog experiencing any hair loss or thinning at towards the base of his tail. Thats usually where flea pattern allergy starts. It could be just an allegy to thinks like pollen, or oak or whatever happens to be blooming around your house this time of year. A little benedryl can help with that, though it may make him a bit drowsy. Are his eyes running, or nose real moist, any cough or do you hear any raspy breathing? I could tell you a hundred things that you could use to help like prednisone, or a dextamethasone shot, or kenalog shot, but if the allergy is really bad, you may want to make a quick visit to your vet for evaluation. Usually once its determined what the cause is, then all you have to do is call your vet yearly to get whatever meds they prescribe. Always use flea control this time of year.