Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Those of you earning Disney GC's for Disney Vacations...

The charge is the main reason that I don't get small ones.

But if you have small cards...each time you use a GC you get a receipt with the balance of the GC and the last 4 digits of the GC number on it. So you can just wrap the receipt around the GC you just used, and in that way keep track. Or bring a little sharpie with you and mark down the new balance on the back of the GC.

All are tricks I've used at DLR...
    Sunshine Rewards

I usually cash out for $100 cards. I'm very paranoid about a large card being lost in the mail or me losing it. I bought a sheet of sticky back paper and cut it into strips, placing a strip on each card. This way I can keep track of balances, just crossing out the previous balance each time I but something. I know I'm obsessive, but it works for me!

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

Quote Originally Posted by secretmoney View Post
    I usually cash out for $100 cards. I'm very paranoid about a large card being lost in the mail or me losing it. I bought a sheet of sticky back paper and cut it into strips, placing a strip on each card. This way I can keep track of balances, just crossing out the previous balance each time I but something. I know I'm obsessive, but it works for me!
    That's a great idea! I have cashed out for all sizes but went with PayPal, last time because I like to use traveler's checks. I know they are probably outdated but it makes keeping up with our money easier. We are on the dining plan so most of our spending will just be for souvenirs, etc. However, I do have a $250 gc so I will use the sticky paper idea, also.

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Quote Originally Posted by mollyeilis View Post
    The charge is the main reason that I don't get small ones.

But if you have small cards...each time you use a GC you get a receipt with the balance of the GC and the last 4 digits of the GC number on it. So you can just wrap the receipt around the GC you just used, and in that way keep track. Or bring a little sharpie with you and mark down the new balance on the back of the GC.

All are tricks I've used at DLR...
    I do this too, wrap the receipt around the card and then when I use it again I wrap the new receipt and toss the old one...very simple system for me.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

Quote Originally Posted by secretmoney View Post
    I was wondering if anyone was worried about that! It's definitely a factor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by arob414 View Post
    That's a great idea! I have cashed out for all sizes but went with PayPal, last time because I like to use traveler's checks. I know they are probably outdated but it makes keeping up with our money easier. We are on the dining plan so most of our spending will just be for souvenirs, etc. However, I do have a $250 gc so I will use the sticky paper idea, also.
    We use travelers checks, too. LOL Except now our new bank charges for them...and our last one gave them for free with an account there...so that's kinda frustrating. But I figured we'd get as much in GC's as possible and do the rest in cash/TCs.
    Married to my soul mate for 6 years. Mama to 3 in arms and 2 in heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by elohcin76 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone was worried about that! It's definitely a factor for me.

We use travelers checks, too. LOL Except now our new bank charges for them...and our last one gave them for free with an account there...so that's kinda frustrating. But I figured we'd get as much in GC's as possible and do the rest in cash/TCs.
    Tricia mentioned that she records the number on the $500 GC that she sends out, so if there is a problem with them getting lost she can get it cancelled. Makes me feel way better knowing that.

We still use TC too but not for Disney, AAA used to have them for free but charge for them now too and our bank charges more for them so I still get them at AAA.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

I don't like the risk of carrying a huge card around all vacation long. For us, it works better to leave the room with a $50 or $100 card and use it for the day...it's usually burned out by the end of the day after meals, souvenirs, so we just toss them as we go. But, to each his own.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by fourfoxesinpa View Post
    I don't like the risk of carrying a huge card around all vacation long. For us, it works better to leave the room with a $50 or $100 card and use it for the day...it's usually burned out by the end of the day after meals, souvenirs, so we just toss them as we go. But, to each his own.
    See that's what I was thinking, too. I like the extra security of knowing I have some of it with me, some of it with DH, and some in our safe in the room.
    Married to my soul mate for 6 years. Mama to 3 in arms and 2 in heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by fourfoxesinpa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elohcin76 View Post
    See that's what I was thinking, too. I like the extra security of knowing I have some of it with me, some of it with DH, and some in our safe in the room.
    This is why you need to do what you feel comfortable doing and not what everyone else likes to do...we like having it with us because we don't like carrying tons of cash, then we have it when we need it as we never know how much we are going to spend that day.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

I have just started to cash out for $250 at a time rather than the $100 ones I was always doing. Yes, I still get charged the stamp fee, but I have no patience waiting for $500 before cashing out, lol. However, I use my gift cards towards down payments on my trip. Last year I handed my TA something like 11 Disney GC's. She was laughing, but it IS a lot of extra work for her to apply so many cards (not that she complained!) I had two $50 ones for extra expenses during the trip and once got the two confused by giving the waitress the empty one. It was very embarrassing and a one-time occurrence. I usually wrap my receipt with the balance around the card to keep me straight and throw the card away when it's empty, just like others have posted.

My advice is to go with what's most comfortable for you. We all have different ways we view using the cards.
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards