Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Those of you earning Disney GC's for Disney Vacations...

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

I don't actually carry any gift cards in to the parks with me. That is why I use my KTTK card for everything. I know if I lose it I can walk to guest services and have the old one cancelled and a new one printed. I don't have to worry about trying to replace gift cards. My gift cards stay in my room and I charge to my KTTK. The night before check out I go and get a print out and compare it to my reciepts but you could go every night or every other night if it is more comfortable for you. This gives me a chance to check for wrong charges and get them fixed before I pay for them. Then I go to the counter and give them my gift cards (in this case it will be a $500 one) and pay off the charges to my room so nothing gets charged to my room. I like not having to carry by debit card or gift cards to the parks. I have one card to carry for each of us and I use that key all day long for fast passes, to pay for food and merchandise and for my dining plan so I know immediately if it is gone. I track my expenses very well so I don't over spend and I keep all of my reciepts in a zip pouch that attaches to my lanyard with my card and the kids' cards and the fast passes and my photopass cards. This may not work for others and is just how I prefer to do it. I agree that you have to do what feels comfortable to you otherwise you will be a nervous wreck the whole trip worrying about things. I also like that it doesn't cost me anything to get the $500 card. I have always done $200 at a time before which came in 2 $100 cards. This was fine but after the last time that I had a hand full of cards and the desk lady had issues getting the application of that many right I decided just to go for the big one this time! I will probably cry when I finally have that $500 baby in my hands LOL!
    Sunshine Rewards

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
    I don't actually carry any gift cards in to the parks with me. That is why I use my KTTK card for everything. I know if I lose it I can walk to guest services and have the old one cancelled and a new one printed. I don't have to worry about trying to replace gift cards. My gift cards stay in my room and I charge to my KTTK. The night before check out I go and get a print out and compare it to my reciepts but you could go every night or every other night if it is more comfortable for you. This gives me a chance to check for wrong charges and get them fixed before I pay for them. Then I go to the counter and give them my gift cards (in this case it will be a $500 one) and pay off the charges to my room so nothing gets charged to my room. I like not having to carry by debit card or gift cards to the parks. I have one card to carry for each of us and I use that key all day long for fast passes, to pay for food and merchandise and for my dining plan so I know immediately if it is gone. I track my expenses very well so I don't over spend and I keep all of my reciepts in a zip pouch that attaches to my lanyard with my card and the kids' cards and the fast passes and my photopass cards. This may not work for others and is just how I prefer to do it. I agree that you have to do what feels comfortable to you otherwise you will be a nervous wreck the whole trip worrying about things. I also like that it doesn't cost me anything to get the $500 card. I have always done $200 at a time before which came in 2 $100 cards. This was fine but after the last time that I had a hand full of cards and the desk lady had issues getting the application of that many right I decided just to go for the big one this time! I will probably cry when I finally have that $500 baby in my hands LOL!
    You make some really good points but on another note...I like to keep the charges on my Disney Visa so that I accrue points to be able to purchase our two AP every year which is what it is used for, if I pay off my charge then I don't get the points. So, there are all ways of looking at this and everyone has their own method to the madness, no one way is right or wrong, just personal preference.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

I agree with all of the above!!!

I have been cashing out for $500 GF for the past couple of years - we really haven't taken any trips to WDW during this time - we have been taking Disney Cruises and you can't use the GC's on board - you have to charge everything to your KTTW card and then I go to the Front Desk a couple of times during the week to check room charges and apply my GC's.

Right now I have one $500 GC in hand and am nearing cashing out for another $500 GC - these will be used to pay for our Annual Passes to Disneyland as we live about 40 minutes away! and we have no cruise or WDW trip planned for at least another year.

When I did cash out for smaller amounts and used them at WDW - it was a problem sometimes in keeping track of the ones I had used and what the balances were - but there have been some good solutions suggested in this thread.

So I will continue to cash out for my $500 GC's and you will do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable!!! Whatever choice you pick will be the right one for you!!

And that's my story and I'm sticking with it!!!
    Karn
    Sunshine Rewards

Member #4187

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
    Me too!
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

I think everyone's ideas are great! No one way is perfect for everyone but all these ideas give me lots of differing ways to pay.

I have a question. I am going with another family but the reservations are under my name. When we get our KTTK cards, I know we each get one, but will they separate the families? If they do, I might just use the KTTK card and leave the TC at the hotel and pay back at the hotel.

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

The room charges will be by room so if you will all be in the same room they will all be bunched together. However, when you get your print out you will be able to see what card charged the item. Each of the cards have a different ending number so if you have seven people in your room you will see the numbers 1 through 7 as the ending numbers. Now, the children will not have charging priviledges so that means you won't see any charges with their cards. If you have 4 adults and all 4 are charging you just go down and pay for the charges made on your card and let them go down and pay for the charges made on their card. I think you would have to look at the printout first and total your charges and do the same for them. I look at the charges line by line anyway and compare them to my reciepts before I pay them so it wouldn't be a problem for me but you may not want to have to worry about breaking the printout down.

Also if you will be staying in seperate rooms but all in your name you will be able to charge to your room and they will be able to charge to their room as long as they are listed on the reservation to the other room their room keys will be issued for it.
    Sunshine Rewards

i usually try and get the biggest card I can so i dont have to pay the .44 cent charge for each one to ship, like others said also easier to carry around 1 card than many.

if you are going end of jan, i would suggest like oct, nov, cash out as big as yo ucan, then try and get enough to get another before you go, good motivation at the end.

Sunshine Rewards

this has been interesting reading! I have cashed out for two 50.00 gc's so far. I am saving up for a bigger one this time or perhaps using a paypal cashout.....can anyone verify what the fee is on paypal? I only have a personal acct, too, so will I even be able to do a paypal cashout? I haven't looked into it yet.....
    My thoughts re: the paypal thing are that I can go all the way up until Aug. 31st and then cashout and have it hit my paypal Sept. 30th (If I understand it correctly?) but if I cash out gc's then I would have to cut off by mid august to make sure they arrive by my Oct. 11th deadline. I do not want it to be a nailbiter waiting for gc's to get here right before I leave, kwim?
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Heather
    Dreaming of our next trip......Nov 3-13, 2012!!

I have a question about the .44 charge - I'm going to cash out for $150 soon, so it'll have to be 1 - $100 and 1 - $50. Will I have to pay the .44 on each, or is it once per order? I'm getting really close & can't wait to hit the cashout button, so that could make a difference on when it gets hit

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

Quote Originally Posted by momof3lovebugs View Post
    this has been interesting reading! I have cashed out for two 50.00 gc's so far. I am saving up for a bigger one this time or perhaps using a paypal cashout.....can anyone verify what the fee is on paypal? I only have a personal acct, too, so will I even be able to do a paypal cashout? I haven't looked into it yet.....
    My thoughts re: the paypal thing are that I can go all the way up until Aug. 31st and then cashout and have it hit my paypal Sept. 30th (If I understand it correctly?) but if I cash out gc's then I would have to cut off by mid august to make sure they arrive by my Oct. 11th deadline. I do not want it to be a nailbiter waiting for gc's to get here right before I leave, kwim?
    With a personal acct, there is no fee. I cashed out and had the money transferred over into my bank acct a couple days after the money hit my PayPal acct. Being able to wait a little longer is part of why I went with PayPal. Work as been so busy that I have really slacked off, this yr, in doing surveys, so I wanted to wait as long as I could to build up my money. And since I had already paid off my vacation, I wasn't sure that I wanted my money all tied up in Disney gcs.