Thread: "Double Dipping"????

Default "Double Dipping"????

We need a new lawnmower...not NOW...but soon. So, I found the one we'd like at Home Depot. I am wondering, can I order gift cards to cover the cost and then use the same gift cards to pay for the order? I guess I'm wondering if you get credit for a purchase if you use a gift card to pay for it. I know that most merchants will give you the credit if you pay with a gift card, but they do not give you credit for a purchase of a gift card. Home Depot does credit for purchases of gift cards so I am wondering if I am able to "double dip". I certainly do not want to break any rules so that is why I am asking. Like I said, we are not in a huge hurry so I have the time to go through the whole process.

I don't know about Home Depot, but some merchants will give you credit for the purchases made with a gift card and some won't. It's really a crap shoot.

If it were me, I'd give it a try. You don't have anything to lose -- but if it doesn't credit, I don't think you can file a TT for a purchase made with a gift card. It may credit, it may not, but you won't know until you try.
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Hedy did a great blog post about this once. I don't know if she mentioned Home Depot or not. Maybe this title will catch her eye.
    Sunshine Rewards

I didn't think merchants gave credit if you used a GC? I know Kohl's won't, and Staples doesn't give credit if you use your Staples rewards on it.

I'm not sure if this counts or not, but I cashed out to Paypal, then used that to make a purchase thru Ebay. I got credit for somethign i didn't even have to pay for! Liked that!
    Jennifer -

Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

I know that Old Navy will give credit for purchases made with gift cards, but I don't know about other places!

We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.

Quote Originally Posted by 29apr00 View Post
    I didn't think merchants gave credit if you used a GC? I know Kohl's won't, and Staples doesn't give credit if you use your Staples rewards on it.

I'm not sure if this counts or not, but I cashed out to Paypal, then used that to make a purchase thru Ebay. I got credit for somethign i didn't even have to pay for! Liked that!
    I just got credit for a purchase from Kohl's made with a gift card. Gift card didn't cover whole purchase, but I got credit for full purchase amount.

Quote Originally Posted by 29apr00 View Post
    This is why I was wondering about Home Depot because, like Kohl's, they DO give you credit for buying a gift card. I thought maybe they'd prevent double dipping by not crediting purchases that were paid for with a gift card.

When i made a purchase from Kohls with a gift card, I didn't get credit for it. And Dh uses his Bass Pro Shops gift cards all the time, and we never get credit for those either.
    Jennifer -

Bumping this up after doing a forum search.....

I need a cheap router because my internet has decided it doesn't like me switching the plug between my computer and the Wii. I have $12 in Staples Rewards right now and I see they sell routers. I see someone else didn't get credit for paying with Staples Rewards, but since the cheapest router they sell is $30, would I get credit for the part NOT covered by rewards?
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards