Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me make a decision on resort for this weekend!!!

Default Help me make a decision on resort for this weekend!!!

Okay heading down Friday night staying at Pop (why waste money on a mod/deluxe to literally only sleep!). Now the problem...........I have a reservation for the next night at the Polynesian.......I love it there but it is very pricey and I usually splurge for 1 or 2 nights per trip there and then move over to a DVC resort (we will be staying at Old Key WEst Sunday thru Friday). Well I had my contact check around for a room thru DVC (disney vacation club) because even though weekend rates are higher at DVC properties, they are still cheaper than a deluxe any night. Just found out that a room at OKW opened up for Saturday night and it is 1/2 less than Polynesian..........my realistic, frugal side says cancel Poly and stay at OKW, but my dreaming side says take Poly and suck up the difference (my girls just love this place and we weren't doing parks on Saturday........can you see where I am heading!!!) I know that right thing would be to take OKW and then I could use the extra savings for christmas.........and I could buy the meal plan for that night and it would only cost me $60 for the girls and I to eat and I would still be a savings of $150!!!)

Okay let the advice begin!!!
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards

I am a cheapie.....I would probably stay at a VALUE the WHOLE time because I am TOO frugal....er....down right cheap.

That being said, I would LOVE to stay at the Poly. That is definitely a dream. However, I will probably never stay there because, you guessed it, I am too cheap. The only way we'd stay there is if DH surprised me.

If money is not tight, and you have the whole day to spend there....hmm....I am torn on this one too.

I say GO FOR IT!!! (Hey, it is not my money! HEE HEE!)

Good luck with your decision. It is a hard one. I will be wondering what you decide!
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards

Magical JenK is offline I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!

Aggghhhh...that's quite a pickle you are in Pamela! See, now I'm a dreamer and the Poly is a dream of mine...but at the same time I'm a realist...IF you've already been to Poly & want to save money, then I say take the OKW room & do the dining plan...HOWEVER, since you were already financially planning on staying at the Poly & your girls love it...will they miss out on the dining plan for the night?

My vote, keep the Poly ressie.

Let us know what you decide!!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800

Quote Originally Posted by pbhall13 View Post
    Okay heading down Friday night staying at Pop (why waste money on a mod/deluxe to literally only sleep!). Now the problem...........I have a reservation for the next night at the Polynesian.......I love it there but it is very pricey and I usually splurge for 1 or 2 nights per trip there and then move over to a DVC resort (we will be staying at Old Key WEst Sunday thru Friday). Well I had my contact check around for a room thru DVC (disney vacation club) because even though weekend rates are higher at DVC properties, they are still cheaper than a deluxe any night. Just found out that a room at OKW opened up for Saturday night and it is 1/2 less than Polynesian..........my realistic, frugal side says cancel Poly and stay at OKW, but my dreaming side says take Poly and suck up the difference (my girls just love this place and we weren't doing parks on Saturday........can you see where I am heading!!!) I know that right thing would be to take OKW and then I could use the extra savings for christmas.........and I could buy the meal plan for that night and it would only cost me $60 for the girls and I to eat and I would still be a savings of $150!!!)

Okay let the advice begin!!!
    Are you a DVC member? I'm just thinking if you are, you could stay at OKW and since you're not doing a park on Saturday, pool hop to the Poly and spend the day there? Save the money by sleeping at OKW but enjoy the Poly during the day!
    Sunshine Rewards

Alright ladies.......my practical and frugal side kicked in and I canceled my Poly reservation...........I have been trying for a code to bring down the Poly price but nothing was available..........let's just that one night at the Poly is only a few dollars less than what I am paying to stay at OKW for 5 nights!!!!! Totally gross amount of money, but I was going to 'treat' us.....that being said....I have been able to 'treat' us on the last 2 trips to WDW by staying at Poly (nov 06 for 2 nights...comp. upgrade to Concierge and 1 night in May 07 comp upgrade to MK view)....see how they enticed me into wanting to go back.......BUT the savings will come in handy for christmas....because alas the money tree I planted in the spring did not bloom!!!!

Although my oldest will be a bit dissappointed I will remind her that she is going to be at Disney and we can take the boat over to downtown disney and shop at the candy store to her hearts content....I am sure at 8 that will hold her!!!

Thanks for responding!!!! Maybe I will win a night at the castle for my great frugal decision!!
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards

I am glad you went that route. I was going to say cancel the ressie. I would love to stay there but if you already have then the savings this time of year are so important.
    <Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Me too, the frugal side plus time of year would have made me cancel.
    Heck kids are in Disney, tell me that they won't be exicted enough over that!
    Sunshine Rewards

Good for you. Think of all the $$ you saved! We are a family of 5 and stay at POR because it is THE cheapest. We almost did 2 rooms at value, but it would have cost us $400 more. Next time we will get 2 rooms. (I say that now, however, when I start doing numbers, I will see what I could save at POR!) I will be nice to have 2 bathrooms and more space for our luggage. Plus, we have never stayed at Pop or Movies. Would like to try different resorts.
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

You have already made your decision, and being a cheapie, I would have probably gone the same way. But, my dream is to stay at the Poly. And, just reading about someone having stayed there just made me want to say oohhh, aahhh...

Angela.......you really should look into DVC point rental.........you could get a one bedroom at OKW probably close to what you would pay for POR and have so much more space........I would highly recommend it!! If you have any questions you can always PM me and I can give you some advice.

My dd8 was sad when I mentioned that I changed the Poly ressie to OKW, but I reminded her of how much she loves OKW and I told her how expensive one night at the Poly was going to be (I don't ever talk about money with her in this manner, but she is very interested in money and savings so I thought it would really let her appreciate the savings that we would have)....being the good little girl that she is.....she started to get excited about all that OKW has to offer and decided that the switch was great!

I on the other hand am really going to miss not staying at the Poly, but my wallet will not miss it one bit!!!! My new plan is to start saving for a longer stay at the Polynesian (this will take me a bit, but I really do want to be able to stay there for at least a week to really feel like I STAYED at the Poly)

Looking forward to my trip......and I promise to do a trip report when I get back!!
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards