Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: personal info

Default personal info

A couple of weeks ago I took a survey about a specific product and where I would buy this product and within a week received mail from the specific store about that specific product. I thought this was odd but didnt think anything about it until I took a survey on appliances and gave my favorite brand I wanted to buy and the next day received an email about a special offer for people in my area because they wanted opinions on this specific product. Today I received a discount email from a company I took a survey on yesterday. I am very cautious with my email ect because I hate getting overloaded with junk mail.
    I am wondering if all the survey companies keep our info private? I know that recently we had to start putting more info in at the beginning but was sure it said they would not use this info. Is this correct for all 6 surveys? This might just be a coincidence but it was just seeming strange that these mailing are so specific.

Anyone else notice this happening?
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by KimCh View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I took a survey about a specific product and where I would buy this product and within a week received mail from the specific store about that specific product. I thought this was odd but didnt think anything about it until I took a survey on appliances and gave my favorite brand I wanted to buy and the next day received an email about a special offer for people in my area because they wanted opinions on this specific product. Today I received a discount email from a company I took a survey on yesterday. I am very cautious with my email ect because I hate getting overloaded with junk mail.
    I am wondering if all the survey companies keep our info private? I know that recently we had to start putting more info in at the beginning but was sure it said they would not use this info. Is this correct for all 6 surveys? This might just be a coincidence but it was just seeming strange that these mailing are so specific.

Anyone else notice this happening?
    Are you seeing these from a specific survey company? I've only ever talked to Greenfield about it and was under the impression that they do not pass the information along. But I wonder if maybe one of the others is??
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

(if this is happening) I have an idea who I took these surveys for but cant be sure 100%. It is not GF. The mail/email comes from the specific store or store that sells that product. I didnt know if they submited all info with survey results. I know that GF has it on their page that its kept private but guess I never paid attention on the others.

I don't have an answer for this, but did notice something odd when I was on vacation. We were in Disney for a week in May, so during that time I couldn't do any surveys. Usually I have to clear out about 10-15 junk emails out of my special SR email address each day. While I was NOT taking any surveys that week, I was only getting about 1-2 junk emails each day. As soon as I came back home and started with the surveys again, junk emails went way back up. It doesn't bother me so much since it's a separate email that I use for this, BUT it does kind of bother me that it seems at least one of the companies is using/ selling email addresses...I just keep clearing them out several times a day...
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by lkat View Post
    I don't have an answer for this, but did notice something odd when I was on vacation. We were in Disney for a week in May, so during that time I couldn't do any surveys. Usually I have to clear out about 10-15 junk emails out of my special SR email address each day. While I was NOT taking any surveys that week, I was only getting about 1-2 junk emails each day. As soon as I came back home and started with the surveys again, junk emails went way back up. It doesn't bother me so much since it's a separate email that I use for this, BUT it does kind of bother me that it seems at least one of the companies is using/ selling email addresses...I just keep clearing them out several times a day...
    I have noticed this as well. I use my main e-mail address for surveys but another e-mail for freebie offers (when I do them). My junk e-mail has gone way up since the new survey companies were added. I think I know which one it is - I am contemplating using my freebie e-mail address for that company to see if it changes my junk e-mail to my main account. I almost never got any spam at that e-mail when I just used it for GF, but now I get several daily.

Quote Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'smom View Post
    I have noticed this as well. I use my main e-mail address for surveys but another e-mail for freebie offers (when I do them). My junk e-mail has gone way up since the new survey companies were added. I think I know which one it is - I am contemplating using my freebie e-mail address for that company to see if it changes my junk e-mail to my main account. I almost never got any spam at that e-mail when I just used it for GF, but now I get several daily.
    Can you tell me which one and I will check with them to see what is up? I hate telling our members that when they take the survey offers their info will not be sold if it really is.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Love the Smurfs

I haven't noticed more spam than usual or extra junk mailings, but I do get several extra survey offers in a week from survey companies that I have seen in some specific ones of the 6 surveys offered, something I didn't get before....I didn't join any of them or ask to be sent followup surveys either. But that's all I've seen.....I don't really look through my bulk mail/spam folder though to see what's new or if it relates to surveys I have taken.

We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    Can you tell me which one and I will check with them to see what is up? I hate telling our members that when they take the survey offers their info will not be sold if it really is.
    It's just a guess. Do you want me to post it or PM one of the mods?

Quote Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'smom View Post
    It's just a guess. Do you want me to post it or PM one of the mods?
    Go ahead and post it. I'm interested to see if others are seeing the same thing.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Love the Smurfs

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    Go ahead and post it. I'm interested to see if others are seeing the same thing.
    Just a guess, but I think it is Surveyhead. And here's why:

I use the same e-mail address for GF, the SM survey, and SH. I use that same e-mail for e-mails from SR and most of my shopping. I use a different e-mail for AMP and for the rare freebie. I don't think SSI or MV have ever asked me my e-mail address to complete a survey.

I've been an SR member for over 3 years. During that time, my main e-mail address has received very little spam (the AMP/freebie one gets tons, but I think that is the freebies rather than AMP). Over the past couple of months, the spam in my e-mail has increased a lot - I am getting e-mails for Yoshiblade, Smoking Relief (or something like that), Elizabeth Jackson (work at home or something?). When I look at the e-mail address, I get bursts from different domains - I'll block those domains and new ones will pop up. I get similar offers from each domain like the address was sold to a distributor who uses a certain domain for several different offers. I might block the domain, but then I get the same e-mails under a slightly different domain.

Looking back through my history, I don't see any new merchants that I might have used for that address, but I do see the SH surveys starting. It could very well be something else (maybe a newsletter I signed up for or something), but it does seem to go in spurts as I complete surveys. I'm tempted to either stop SH surveys for a week or so or change the e-mail to my other e-mail address to see if the same spam starts showing up there.

SH may be completely innocent, but it is a strange coincidence. I don't really know enough about how addresses are sold to know for sure. But I don't think I have seen more e-mails for products I evaluated - I think it is just generic spam.