Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rain, Heat and Meltdowns- a typical June day at Disney

Quote Originally Posted by catnapfan View Post
    On the way to dinner we stopped in the UK so DS could call the red phone booths from his cell phone. He waited until a family was near the phones and then he called. The dad answered and DS asked the guy if they were enjoying their vacation and a few other questions. The dad wanted to know who was calling and DS said "look across the street, I'm the teenager in the yellow shirt" once the guy saw him he laughed and waved and actually walked over by us to ask for the phone number so his family could call and surprise someone.
    So, how do you call the red phones? Been to Disney a ton but never done that and my kids would get a kick out of it!

BTW...Love your trip report!
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

Day 3
    Thursday, June 17th

This was our Animal Kingdom day. We arrived at the park for rope drop and then headed straight for Expedition Everest- grabbed a fast pass for later and pretty much walked right on the ride in the stand by line. Next up was Kali (another walk on) where DH and I got completely soaked, DS stayed dry because he insisted on wearing his poncho. Fortunately the temp was already in the 90s so we dried off pretty quick. Then we did the safari which by that time was a 20 minute wait and then back to Everest to use our fast passes. By now it was 11:00 so we grabbed lunch at Pizzafari (guys had pizza and I had a sandwich) and then watched Festival of the Lion King. Next we strolled through the Discovery Island trails which we had never taken the time to do in the past- this was a very nice change of pace. We decided to skip Dinosaur and the Nemo show and head back to the hotel, which turned out to be a good idea because the daily rain came right when we got to the Boardwalk. DH and I took a nap and DS was very happy to spend his down time talking to his girlfriend on the phone.

AK rope drop

Tree of Life from the Discovery Island trails

Dinner this night was at the Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club. It was still raining lightly so we threw on our ponchos and walked on over. This is a seafood buffet that we all were looking forward to but it ended up being everyone's least favorite meal. The food was actually pretty good but the lines at the buffet got very long and they were having a hard time keeping up and replenishing the food and clean dishes at the buffet. We were there at 5:10 and it was already busy. Our server barely said 10 words to us the whole meal but she kept our drinks filled and cleared our plates so I guess she was adequate.

After dinner we headed to the Magic Kingdom where we rode Small World and Haunted Mansion before securing a spot in Liberty Square to watch the parade. As you probably all know they are running Disney's Electrical Parade for the summer instead of Spectromagic. I was very disappointed in it. It was nice to see the different floats and all the pretty lights but I thought the parade was boring. Of course I'm probably a little biased because I absolutely LOVE Spectromagic. After the parade we headed over to Main Street to watch the new Summer Nightastic fireworks which I really enjoyed- especially the pirates part.

A few Magic Kingdom pics

Next up: morning EMH at Hollywood Studios.
    Last edited by catnapfan; 07-02-2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    So, how do you call the red phones? Been to Disney a ton but never done that and my kids would get a kick out of it!

BTW...Love your trip report!
    I got the numbers off the disboards.

407-827-9861
    407-827-9862
    407-827-9863

We actually called once from home about a month ago and talked to someone but it was more fun to call while there and actually see the people's reactions.
    Robin

Magical JenK is offline I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!

Quote Originally Posted by catnapfan View Post
    I got the numbers off the disboards.

407-827-9861
    407-827-9862
    407-827-9863

We actually called once from home about a month ago and talked to someone but it was more fun to call while there and actually see the people's reactions.
    Oh that is so fun!! Sorry about all the rain, but sounds like you're making it a great trip still!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800

I am enjoying reading your trip. I am way overdue.
    Marilyn

Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

Day 4
    Friday, June 18th

I got everyone up early to make it to early EMH at Hollywood Studios. It took us about 20 minutes to walk to the park from the Boardwalk. As I mentioned before I LOVED that we could walk to 2 of the parks. At rope drop we headed straight for Toy Story Mania just like everyone else. We didn't bother getting fast passes like a lot of the other people just got in the standby line and had about a 10 minute wait. Next it was off to Rock n Roller Coaster where we did grab a fast pass for later and rode standby with only a 15 minute wait. Followed by Tower of Terror which we walked on.

After TOT we rode the Great Movie Ride and Star Tours and then headed back to RocknRoller Coaster to use our fast passes. We were all very pleased that we had 6 rides under our belt by 11:00! We grabbed some lunch at the ABC Commisary then toured One Man's Dream. I really like this attraction and visit it every time we go. I am always amazed at Walt's accomplishments. We even stayed for the short movie there which we normally skip out of. Now it was time to head over to the Lights, Motors, Action Stunt show. We got about half way over there and you'll never guess what happened... yep, you got it- it started to rain. We threw on our ponchos and continued on but then the rain shower turned into a down pour and we took cover over by the Back Lot Tour.

We tried to wait it out but finally gave up. The stunt show was the last thing we were going to do at Hollywood Studios anyway so we just decided to skip it and head back to the hotel. We took the boat back this time instead of walking and got a good nap in before dinner.

Our ADR this night was at Kouzzina right on the Boardwalk. I don't think I mentioned it yet but we were on the dining plan (paid for with SR money) so we really ate a lot more food than we normally would. This was our 1st time at this restaurant, it was very nice and our waitress was wonderful. I had the lamb shank, DH had the whole red snapper and DS had the flank steak. For dessert the guys both had the lava cake and I don't remember what I had but everything was very good.

I had left this night open for DH and DS to decide what to do. Well against my better judgement they chose Magic Kingdom which was having evening extra magic hours. We arrived aroud 7:30 and it was already very busy. We did Carousel of Progress (another of my favorites) rode the TTA, Snow White and did a lap around the park on the railroad before getting some ice cream and heading out of the park around 10pm. It was crazy busy by then, you could barely move and Space Mountain was posting a 200 minute wait. As we passed the turn styles on our way out I could not believe the 100s of people waiting to get into a park that was already very crowded!

It's hard to tell in this picture but the TTA actually had a waiting line at 8pm which I had never seen before.
    Robin

Robin, I love your TR. And you have some great photos. What kind of camera did you use?

Your TR title is perfect.
    Sunshine Rewards

I'm lovin' this!! yay! Getting so excited and we arern't going until Oct! I hate rude people and their drama....can't believe you had to hear so many selfish people's outbursts in such a short time. You have definitely got a good attitude! Brava!
    thank you for posting this...I have been not going to the dis b/c I get sucked in but this is perfect!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Heather
    Dreaming of our next trip......Nov 3-13, 2012!!

The crowd at EMH! It's things like that that make it hard to plan Disney vacations. When you encounter stuff like that, it's best to throw any plans out the window and leave. At least you got to enjoy a few rides so it wasn't a complete loss.

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

I can't believe the line for the TTA! I was there for EMH the Friday before this and it wasn't nearly that busy!
    I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the Electrical Parade. It is one of my fav parades ever - just hearing the music makes me smile.
    We must have had the same server at Cape May. We didn't find it that busy but our server barely talked to us either. I did love the lava cake dessert there. Yum. I'll have to put Kouzina on the list of places to try. That is Cat Cora's new place right?
    Sunshine Rewards