Thread: I have to brag....

Default I have to brag....

I have never been an avid bike rider. A few years ago, while my DD's were "small" (ages 2 and 4), I started riding my bike to run errands, pulling them both in the bike trailer. We'd ride to the grocery store and the bank, which are both about a mile from our house.

Now, DD7 rides her own bike, but I still pull DD4 in the trailer...all 45 pounds of her. The longest ride she's done was to the Target by our house which is about a 3 mile ride, round trip.

This past Saturday, DD7 surprised and motivated me. That little girl, all 55 pounds of her, rode her bike all the way to Grandma and Grandpa's house....5.5 miles away! Then, after about a 30 minute visit, she turned around and rode back home. ELEVEN MILES round-trip that girl did! As exhausted as I was, riding behind her pulling the trailer with DD4, there was no way I was going to complain.

Yesterday, we bought her a new helmet (hers fits fine, but DD4 needed a new one so she got the hand-me-down) and some bike gloves as an incentive and reward. She rode her bike a total of almost 11 miles yesterday too. We rode about 4.5 miles to/from the bike shop and then later on, we took the trail from grandma's house to the park which is a little over 3 miles each way.

Even though it has been so hot and humid here, I am so motivated by my little girl. I have been doing great on my diet to lose some weight, but exercise has never been my strong suit. I find it difficult to get myself motivated, but now, it is so much easier. I told her that we are taking our bikes to HHI next spring so she has to practice riding everywhere. I don't think she needs nearly as much training as I do!

Now, if we can get DD4 off her training wheels, I will not have to pull an extra 45 pounds behind me.

That is great. Good for all of you!

That's fantastic! You have a right to be proud. That was a huge accomplishment. Make sure you document it in her photobook with maybe a picture of her on her bike. That would be nice.

You need to give yourself some credit as well because it couldn't have been easy to pull your younger daughter.

Again, congratulations and happy biking.
    Sunshine Rewards

And on top of all that , you get to spend some fun time with your kids. WTG!!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

We have had LOUSY weather these past two weeks. The only days that it has been nice enough to ride our bikes, I've been at work.

The DD's and I made it out for a "little" ride on Saturday night. We rode two miles to Panera Bread for dinner (yeah, that was counter-productive) and then hit Target for a few small items and went home. All total, we went a little over 4 miles and we were gone about an hour, which included the brief shopping trip and dinner.

Yesterday, both DH and I were off AND it was gorgeous weather so we all went for a ride. We rode the 5.5 mile trail to grandpa and grandma's house and back. I didn't even bring a watch, but we were gone for about 2 hours total, including the 15-20 minute "pit stop".

DD7 went to the urgent care last night. After we got home from the bike ride, we went out to dinner and then she played for about 30 minutes on her slip 'n' slide. When she came inside, she came up to me and said, "Mom, I think I am wheezing." Well, she doesn't have asthma (that we know of) and she has only "wheezed" one other time in her life and that was after three days of cough/congestion/fever so I expected it. This was odd. So, I took out my stethoscope, thinking that she is just trying to get out of going to bed, and lo and behold, she IS wheezing....A LOT! Her lungs were so loud I almost thought she was doing it on purpose. She wasn't in any distress and she didn't complain of anything, but I decided to take her in anyways. The nurse listened to her and confirmed that she WAS wheezing, loudly and all over. DD went for a chest X-ray while the nurse prepared a breathing treatment. Just as she was going to start the treatment, the doctor came in and took a listen and he DIDN'T hear a thing! He said she was completely clear. The nurse listened again (and so did I) and the doctor was right, she was COMPLETELY clear! So, he "diagnosed" her with reactive airway disease and gave us a script for an inhaler. Now, before we go for our bike rides, I will be sure to give her a couple puffs to keep those little lungs open. Now, I just have to decide if I want to schedule a follow-up with her pediatrician or just go straight to a pediatric pulmonologist. Our insurance does not require a referral so I am thinking I will just skip the pediatrician if I can.

It's about 85 degrees with 95% humidity and a chance of thunderstorms today so we are going to wait until tomorrow to ride again.