Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: !!!!!!!ALERT!!!!!!! AquaDots RECALL!!!!!!!!!!!SCARY!!!!!

I'm glad I kept putting off buying them.

Default !!!!!!!ALERT!!!!!!! AquaDots RECALL!!!!!!!!!!!SCARY!!!!!

Just saw this on the DIS and thought I should put the alert over here. SCARY

WASHINGTON — Millions of Chinese-made toys for children have been pulled from shelves in North America and Australia after scientists found they contain a chemical that converts into a powerful date rape drug when ingested. Two children in the U.S. and three in Australia were hospitalized after swallowing the beads.
    With only seven weeks until Christmas, the recall is yet another blow to the toy industry — already bruised by a slew of recalls this past summer.
    In the United States, the toy goes by the name Aqua Dots, a highly popular holiday toy distributed by Toronto-based Spin Master Toys. They are called Bindeez in Australia, where they were named toy of the year at an industry function earlier this year.
    It could not immediately be learned whether Aqua Dots beads are made in the same factories as the Bindeez product. Both are sold by Australia-based Moose Enterprises.
    The toy beads are sold in general merchandise stores and over the Internet for use in arts and crafts projects. They can be arranged into designs and fused together when sprayed with water.
    Scientists say a chemical coating on the beads, when ingested, metabolizes into the so-called date rape drug gamma hydroxy butyrate. When eaten, the compound — made from common and easily available ingredients — can induce unconsciousness, seizures, drowsiness, coma and death.
    /**/
    Naren Gunja from Australia's Poisons Information Center said the drug's effect on children was "quite serious ... and potentially life-threatening."
    The recall was announced by the Consumer Product Safety Commission on Wednesday several hours after published reports about the recall in Australia.
    The two U.S. children who swallowed Aqua Dot beads went into nonresponsive comas, commission spokesman Scott Wolfson said Wednesday afternoon.
    In Australia, the toys were ordered off store shelves on Tuesday when officials learned that a 2-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl were hospitalized after swallowing the beads. A 19-month-old toddler also was being treated.
    The news jolted the toy industry because Aqua Dots has been one of the few bright stars of the toy selling season, which, along with overall retailing, has gotten off to a sluggish start. The item, which had been heavily advertised, had appeared on many toy experts' list of must-have holiday toys, and toy sellers are now in the midst of canceling advertising and scrambling to figure out how to replace it.
    Chris Byrne, a New York-based toy consultant, noted that the incidents could have been isolated, and Spin Master may be erring on the side of caution.
    "This is something that they could not have foreseen. This is an extremely hot toy. ... It's a little scary," Byrne said.
    In a statement, Toys "R" Us Inc., said that it issued on Tuesday a "stop sale" on the entire Spin Master Aqua Dots product line in its North American stores and on its Web site after it learned of the news. "We understand that Spin Master and U.S. regulatory authorities are investigating this product and we have asked Spin Master to fully explain what it believes happened," said the toy seller in a statement.

UGH - what next?
    Kathy
    Sunshine Rewards

Well this is disturbing. I have some on order through the offer on SR. My card has been charged but I haven't received it yet. I hope the company doesn't up and disappear.

Was just coming to post this. It was emailed by the recall people...anyone who buys things and isn't subscribed really should subscribe to the recall emails here: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx
    Sunshine Rewards

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

&($() I have a box of these I ordered through SR and I haven't given to Callie yet but it was supposed to be her birthday present for Saturday. Crap! Worst part is that she saw that I had them and knows she is getting them so now Im going to have to let her pick out something else she wants.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
    &($() I have a box of these I ordered through SR and I haven't given to Callie yet but it was supposed to be her birthday present for Saturday. Crap! Worst part is that she saw that I had them and knows she is getting them so now Im going to have to let her pick out something else she wants.
    Janet -- on a related note, did you ever get your credit for this? I haven't seen anything come through even as pending yet.

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

Yes! Mine showed up on 10/20. I checked and my confirmation email said I ordered them on 10/15.
    Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by 3dog2kidmom View Post
    Janet -- on a related note, did you ever get your credit for this? I haven't seen anything come through even as pending yet.
    I just emailed them today about it. I ordered mine back on 10/5 and it's showing as pending for the 15th of this month. Anyway I emailed them yesterday to say that I ordered them a month ago, my cc was charged and the bill is due but I have yet to receive them. they said they were shipping them today and sorry for the delay. I'm going to give it until Monday and if I don't see them at my door (which I really don' twant them now ANYWAY!) then I'm going to dispute the charge on my cc as never have received them.
    One thing I learned doing accounting work is the cc companies usually side with the consumer!

April
    Sunshine Rewards

This is simply horrible! I can't beleive this is happening in the United States
    Sunshine Rewards