Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kindle Announced!

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Default New Kindle Announced!

I am super excited. I finally decided to get a Kindle and they just announced the 3rd generation Kindle and preorders. So I went ahead and cancelled my current order and replaced it today for the new Kindle which is smaller, has 3G and Wi-Fi and comes in gray. Now I just have to wait a month until it ships.
    Sunshine Rewards

Oh good you got the one with both connections. Yay!

For those who don't know, there's one that has ONLY wifi, and one that has both 3G (cell networks) and wifi (internet). It can make a difference, so get the one you need (don't just go by price).

Sorry. I used to work amazon customer service, so I want to make sure people are getting exactly what they want up front!

Catherine I'm so excited for you!

Did you see the *lighted* covers?
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I did! The only thing is that my husband was really sweet at Christmas and bought me a book light so I think I'm going to get a regular cover and then attach the book light as needed to it. I don't want to hurt his feelings.

ETA: I really really want one of the Kate Spade covers at Barnes and Noble for the nook and since the new Kindle is the same size I might order one through SR.
    Sunshine Rewards

Yay for book lights and sweet hubbies.
    Sunshine Rewards

I saw the announcement too and am so torn between the new Kindle and the B&N nook! I have been researching and just last night, I had pretty much decided to order the nook (through SR of course!!) and then today I read the article in the paper about the new Kindle and now I am back to indecision.

Any thoughts on which is better...nook or Kindle?

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

I don't know a whole lot about them but I was leaning toward the Nook also because I heard (I havven't verified it yet) that the Nook allows you to share your book purchases with friends. This is a great feature that I have never seen offered with the Kindle.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
    I don't know a whole lot about them but I was leaning toward the Nook also because I heard (I havven't verified it yet) that the Nook allows you to share your book purchases with friends. This is a great feature that I have never seen offered with the Kindle.
    Yes, you are correct because I read on the B&N website that you can lend an ebook to a friend for 14 days. Not sure of the specifics...but I think whoever you lend it to has to either have a nook themselves or be running the nook software on a device, like a PC. My daughter (in college) wants one too and as we are both avid readers, that would be a huge selling point for us as we could share our purchases.

Nook: you can lend some books to a set number of people for a set number of days. Helpful, but not as all encompassing as the soundbite makes you think.

DH has tried Nook and Kindle side by side...he likes the Kindle. Which isn't just b/c he works in the department...I mean his boss is madly in love with the ipad...though of course it does help to be passionate about the product.

I tried a sony e-reader at office max or somewhere like that the other day...didn't so much like it! Glad hubby doesn't work *there*.
    Sunshine Rewards

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

What is it about the Kindle that he likes better? I will be totally honest in that I am on the "outs" with Amazon so I truthfully won't be buying any product from or by them LOL but I really would like to know what makes it better than the Nook? I like that I can get cash back from SR for the Nook, I like that Barnes and Nobles has so many great accessories for the Nook, I like that I can share books on the Nook. However, I am a realistic person so if there is something about the Kindle that makes it better than Nook I would consider it.
    Sunshine Rewards

Oh, Kindle does have a way to share books, but it's limited and complicated in other ways.

Using my brother's situation....he has a kindle and an amazon account. His in-laws have Kindles and an account. If his MIL buys a book that he might find interesting, he can take his kindle "off" his account, put it on MIL's, and download the book. He can then read it. Once he connects to his account again, the book will be gone, but unless you get daily downloads each day, you really should keep the connection off to save battery life.

This gets complicated b/c if you forget that you're on someone else's account and buy a book, you're using THEIR money...so you have to get your kindle off their account and connect back to yours before you want to buy more books.

You can have something like 6 kindles on your account.
    Sunshine Rewards