Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Kindle Announced!

Quote Originally Posted by mollyeilis View Post
    Nook: you can lend some books to a set number of people for a set number of days. Helpful, but not as all encompassing as the soundbite makes you think.

DH has tried Nook and Kindle side by side...he likes the Kindle. Which isn't just b/c he works in the department...I mean his boss is madly in love with the ipad...though of course it does help to be passionate about the product.

I tried a sony e-reader at office max or somewhere like that the other day...didn't so much like it! Glad hubby doesn't work *there*.

Yeah, I definitely hear you about it not being as all encompassing as they make it sound. I would need to read the fine print on that point for sure.

Something else that I am unclear about is whether or not the Kindle would support borrowing ebooks from my library. My library does have that as a lending option and I would be interested in using that feature. I got the impression that nook allowed that while Kindle doesn't. Can anyone confirm that?

I haven't really considered the Sony e-reader or the iPad. I have pretty much narrowed it down to Kindle or nook and am still on the fence!!

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

I also was just doing some research and read a couple of different things that say the Nook allows you to use the ebooks from the library. Overall the jist I have seen is that the Kindle only accepts material that is formatted by Kindle/Amazon. This seems to be an issue with some people and not so much with others. I have seen where people say that they are able to reformat material so that it is usable by the Kindle even though it is not technically supposed to be. I don't know how easy or hard that would be. Honestly I don't know if I would ever even use the share or library function but it makes me feel just little bit better knowing that I could if I wanted to. It also makes me feel like Barnes & Noble is considering its customers and not just its bottom line.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
    I also was just doing some research and read a couple of different things that say the Nook allows you to use the ebooks from the library. Overall the jist I have seen is that the Kindle only accepts material that is formatted by Kindle/Amazon. This seems to be an issue with some people and not so much with others. I have seen where people say that they are able to reformat material so that it is usable by the Kindle even though it is not technically supposed to be. I don't know how easy or hard that would be. Honestly I don't know if I would ever even use the share or library function but it makes me feel just little bit better knowing that I could if I wanted to. It also makes me feel like Barnes & Noble is considering its customers and not just its bottom line.
    So I guess I did understand it correctly in that nook allows borrowing ebooks from the library and Kindle doesn't. Thanks for confirming. I think I would definitely use the library function, as I really enjoy using the library for regular print books.

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I believe that the Kindle supports PDF formats so if that is offered at the library it shouldn't be an issue with the Kindle.

I opted for the Kindle because I'm not a huge fan of B&N and I did a quick comparison on ebook prices and Amazon beat B&N by a few bucks on each book I was looking at. I also don't like that you can just use the Nook at B&N as their catalogue seems to be a bit shorter than Amazon's.
    Sunshine Rewards

Thanks Cate! That is what I was looking for! I have read post after post on all kinds of forums tonight and noone could tell me WHY they liked the Kindle better! So the books are cheaper per book for Kindle and they have a larger selection? Hmmmm....I guess I need to really think about this. Here is another question. Can't the Nook use any ebook format so if it were for another reader they could use it? The only ones that the Nook can't use is the Kindle books? I am getting more confused by the minute LOL. I was going to ask for this for Christmas but I need to figure out which one is best.

Next question...only slightly off topic. If I were to get an Ipad instead could I use books from anywhere? (Brandon is going to kill me if I go from a $150 ereader to an ipad )
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

the iPad does support Kindle books. So do Blackberries and your normal computer.

Now for books, I have done some research on this and it seems like if you search online and find .mobi books that they will read on the Kindle without needing conversion. Otherwise, there are programs and instructions out there on how to crack book codes on Kindle Books and how to convert formats between readers. (sorry Molly) If you are a little tech savvy then this won't be too hard to follow.
    Sunshine Rewards

I should also add from my research that there aren't any readers out there that allow people to buy you eBooks as a gift which is unfortunate.
    Sunshine Rewards

I CAN READ BOOKS ON MY BLACKBERRY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I had no idea! Not that I could read for very long in that little bitty print LOL but I had no idea. See I need more research ROFL. I think I might need that Ipad afterall
    Sunshine Rewards

Yeah you can download the kindle software for free on your blackberry.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    I believe that the Kindle supports PDF formats so if that is offered at the library it shouldn't be an issue with the Kindle.

I opted for the Kindle because I'm not a huge fan of B&N and I did a quick comparison on ebook prices and Amazon beat B&N by a few bucks on each book I was looking at. I also don't like that you can just use the Nook at B&N as their catalogue seems to be a bit shorter than Amazon's.
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I need to do some more research...