Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Kindle Announced!

Very timely thread. I just got a Nook today for my birthday. I am so excited!! I wasn't sure which e-reader I wanted, but when I heard that you can use ebooks from the library, I was sold on the Nook. Barnes and Noble even offers a class on how to use the Nook (there was an invitation in with my gift). Got a B&N gift card, and will now have to check out the accessories, and buy through SR of course!!
    Barb

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I would never ever discourage anyone from shopping for the cash back % but this might be another reason to go with the Kindle. http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...9205&GT1=33009
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

My Kindle came Monday and I am in LUV with it! I can't believe how cool it is to read on. If anyone is on the fence, BUY IT!
    Sunshine Rewards

1. Do Kindles get software updates? (I'm thinking if a later generation gets access to library books via Overdrive)
    2. Cate, did you end up getting the nook cover? How is it working?
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
    1. Do Kindles get software updates? (I'm thinking if a later generation gets access to library books via Overdrive)
    2. Cate, did you end up getting the nook cover? How is it working?
    I think they get software updates. Try searching the Amazon message boards on that one or ask MollyEllis

I did not get the Nook Cover. I looked at the inside of the cover and the bottom "holder" would cover up the buttons on the Kindle. So instead I bought a cute one on Etsy and it is working well.
    Sunshine Rewards

Oh another thing about the Kindle. I learned last week that you can download some more "current" books for free on Amazon thanks to their special promotions. Sometimes it is book 2 or 3 in a series but free is free. You go to Free Kindle Books then click on the link about special promotions.
    Sunshine Rewards

I had to wait for hubby to get home to ask. He says yes they get updates. And from what he knows of the philosophy behind it, he believes that it would be updated if they ever got the ability to get library books on Kindles... No guarantees (that's coming from me), but there have actually been plenty of updates for various reasons of all the Kindles, even the Kindle 1.
    Sunshine Rewards

So I ended up deciding on a Kindle, as the nook did not wow me with it's touchscreen. I really recommend trying them both in person. Now I just need to wait to order it in November.
    Oh, and for my Vera girls-an e-reader Vera sleeve is coming in January. I'm still on the hunt for a cover (non-leather), but figured I'd share.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

congrats, cate! i've been researching e-readers because i considered getting DD13 one for Christmas, and so far, they're running neck and neck. i really like the idea of getting books from the library with the nook, but with kindle books being cheaper...i'm torn. anyone got a tie-breaker?

Looks like Heather just posted that she tried both and decided on the Kindle.

I think either one would work I'm just partial to Amazon. I'm not a huge B&N fan - actually prefer Borders stores - so I'm no help. LOL

I will say that I am still enjoying my Kindle and am getting my mom one for Christmas. It just helps with the clutter and I like that you can change the text size and font type when you read.
    Sunshine Rewards