Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People who join and then just disappear...

Default People who join and then just disappear...

Just curious this am....

Every morning when I sign in I look to see who is having a b-day or special event, and I try to post about it if I can...BUT...I also check to see the last time the person has been active in the forum, and I don't post if the person has not been active recently.

Lately (Or maybe I am just becoming more aware of it lately) there are a lot of folks who have maybe 50 or so posts, so apparrently they began to become active in the forums, but then dropped off the board and haven't posted in a very long time.

So, I am curious what has happened to all those folks. It makes me wonder if they are still around and participating in SR but not on the forums (as I'm sure many people do). Maybe they feel that they got what they needed from the forum, or maybe they didn't?? Maybe they dropped out entirely? Maybe they just got busy???

My Hmmm moment for the day.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by speechteachri View Post
    Just curious this am....

Every morning when I sign in I look to see who is having a b-day or special event, and I try to post about it if I can...BUT...I also check to see the last time the person has been active in the forum, and I don't post if the person has not been active recently.

Lately (Or maybe I am just becoming more aware of it lately) there are a lot of folks who have maybe 50 or so posts, so apparrently they began to become active in the forums, but then dropped off the board and haven't posted in a very long time.

So, I am curious what has happened to all those folks. It makes me wonder if they are still around and participating in SR but not on the forums (as I'm sure many people do). Maybe they feel that they got what they needed from the forum, or maybe they didn't?? Maybe they dropped out entirely? Maybe they just got busy???

My Hmmm moment for the day.
    I often wonder the same thing. Like you said I think many just get busy. But some think that reward sites are an instant goldmine and don't want to work at making their balances higher. Or they have a few things that don't credit and they panic. Wish they all knew that it is a slow and steady process where you win a great deal but you lose some to.
    Sammielynn
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

We wonder about it all the time, too. Some of them only join to get the credit that we give for signing up. Others start to participate and then feel like they don't belong. I've seen messages on other boards that 1) we are too much like a clique and 2) the forum is just full of survey complaints. We've tried to help with both of those, but I guess it isn't enough yet.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

I wonder more about the older regulars. I miss a lot of them.

Tricia, about the forum feeling like a clique is okay as we DON'T discriminate and everyone is ACCEPTED to the group of SUNSHINE. And, I think some will always find something to complain about as I think there are just as many compliments about this WONDERFUL site posted in the forum as well.

It's like chocolate, some like it, some don't! As for me, I'm a chocolate lover.
    Sunshine Rewards

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

Quote Originally Posted by Blessing and Miracle View Post

Tricia, about the forum feeling like a clique is okay as we DON'T discriminate and everyone is ACCEPTED to the group of SUNSHINE. And, I think some will always find something to complain about as I think there are just as many compliments about this WONDERFUL site posted in the forum as well.

It's like chocolate, some like it, some don't! As for me, I'm a chocolate lover.
    Well said! I agree that we try to make everyone feel accepted and welcomed! I agree I often wonder more about the older regulars that don't post anymore - I wonder are they still doing SR and just don't post or did they quit? Oh well, life goes on and I too am a chocolate lover!
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    We wonder about it all the time, too. Some of them only join to get the credit that we give for signing up. Others start to participate and then feel like they don't belong. I've seen messages on other boards that 1) we are too much like a clique and 2) the forum is just full of survey complaints. We've tried to help with both of those, but I guess it isn't enough yet.
    I've been a mod here for over thee years, and an SR member of four. I have to say I struggle with both of these things. I genuinely care about you guys who post on the forum, but sometimes I just close out of my browser tab when all I see when I click "new posts" and it's just in the survey thread. Heck, I missed out on the new AMP/MTC announcement becase of it.
    I know it's a hard line-I have been debating whether or not to post a merchant review recently. I think they are a great merchant (heck, I've made three orders in the past three months), but every time I have to file a TT for credit (which I do get). So do I mention that and risk people not shopping at them because of it, or do I not mention it and leave you guys scratching your head if you order through them and it doesn't credit?
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Mandi is offline The artist formerly known as Mom2micayla

Perhaps they are like me.. I get active when I'm in the midst of planning and saving for a trip, then slow down or take a break when I'm not. I'm back to being active now because I have a trip planned to WDW (for the first time in 20+ years. Yay!) but was gone for probably 6 months or more since my last trip to DLR was over.

Maybe I'm obsessive but I plan year around. When I get home I start on the next year's trip. Just love my Disney.
    Sammielynn
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessing and Miracle View Post

To both of the above posts, I do know there are several members who used to be active who aren't really anymore because of the "complaint level" of some of the posts. Personally, I try to ignore them and push on.

As for the clique issue, I can kind of understand that only in the sense that those of us that have been around for a while and have been active do know more about each other, and have more investment with each other because we have taken the time to get to know one another...however, everyone that I know that participates is nothing but welcoming to newer people, so I think that excuse is a crock...you have to be willing to put the time in to make it something worthwhile.

I try to start birthday threads when I am able for newer and "older" members alike, as long as that person has been active in the forums in the recent (like past month) past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    Perhaps they are like me.. I get active when I'm in the midst of planning and saving for a trip, then slow down or take a break when I'm not. I'm back to being active now because I have a trip planned to WDW (for the first time in 20+ years. Yay!) but was gone for probably 6 months or more since my last trip to DLR was over.
    I go through cycles as well, and I think that is normal. We all go through times when we get more support and fulfilment from different things. I definitely try harder to qualify for surveys and do offers when I have a trip planned too, I won't deny that, but I still enjoy being part of the SR "family" even when I am not earning a lot, which is most of the time. Slow and steady wins the race right?? I do think that the forums in general have gotten much slower over the past year or so too...maybe people are getting the info they need to participate in the earnings part of the site, but are not kept engaged here without really taking the time to get to know people, so they stop participating in the forums. I remember back when the forums and chat were really hopping when it was new...I think part of the slowdown is a normal cyclical thing...???

Anyway, just so everyone knows, I do appreciate the cameraderie here on the forums, even though I do miss some of the "old" activity. I'm here for the long haul!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
    I've been a mod here for over thee years, and an SR member of four. I have to say I struggle with both of these things. I genuinely care about you guys who post on the forum, but sometimes I just close out of my browser tab when all I see when I click "new posts" and it's just in the survey thread. Heck, I missed out on the new AMP/MTC announcement becase of it.
    I know it's a hard line-I have been debating whether or not to post a merchant review recently. I think they are a great merchant (heck, I've made three orders in the past three months), but every time I have to file a TT for credit (which I do get). So do I mention that and risk people not shopping at them because of it, or do I not mention it and leave you guys scratching your head if you order through them and it doesn't credit?
    If it's Send a Ball, those are totally my fault. We actually have them as a "one off" so I never know if credits come in until someone asks for them. I've debated just pulling them because of that but a lot of members really like them.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs