Thread: Mary Poppins - NYC

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

Default Mary Poppins - NYC

We have started planning a trip this fall to NYC and I was wondering if any of my fellow Sunshiners have seen Mary Poppins and their thoughts on the show. I read online that the show is different than the movie. Is is so different or only little differences? Or would I be better going to see The Lion King? My DD9 really wants to see Mary Poppins and I was just a little concerned after reading some of the reviews. Oh and if we do see Mary Poppins what price range in tickets or seating locations would everyone recommend?
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by chipndale View Post
    We have started planning a trip this fall to NYC and I was wondering if any of my fellow Sunshiners have seen Mary Poppins and their thoughts on the show. I read online that the show is different than the movie. Is is so different or only little differences? Or would I be better going to see The Lion King? My DD9 really wants to see Mary Poppins and I was just a little concerned after reading some of the reviews. Oh and if we do see Mary Poppins what price range in tickets or seating locations would everyone recommend?
    I've seen Mary Poppins on Broadway, and Lion King 2x on tour. Mary Poppins is great, but The Lion King is breathtaking.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
    I've seen Mary Poppins on Broadway, and Lion King 2x on tour. Mary Poppins is great, but The Lion King is breathtaking.
    I agree with Hedy. If you have yet to see The Lion King, you really should see it. Very Breathtaking..........Laura
    Disney Myspace GraphicsSunshine Rewards

I have not seen the Lion King on Broadway, but I did see the travelling show. It was incredible!!

Having said that, we went to see Mary Poppins in NYC in April, and it was great!! We all loved it, although it was a little different than the movie in some parts.

Given a choice between the two, I would probably choose Lion King...but they are both well worth the time and money.

If you do go to Mary Poppins, the best place to sit is in the first couple of rows of the balcony on the right hand side.
    Sunshine Rewards

Both are spectacular and I'm sure she'd love either one. We chose to take our kids to see Mary only because DH and I have seen LK on Broadway and thought the "Festival of the Lion King" in AK would be (in their minds) too similar. We'll get to LK eventually but thought they'd enjoy something different and they loved it. DD was 10. Totally agree about sitting in the first two right rows of the balcony (or at least in the right side of the theater) .

They are both fantastic - whatever you decide.

ETA...just see that you want to go this fall...these shows are extremely popular and many shows sell out - your choice may be made for you by availability. Good luck getting tix to whatever you choose. :-)
    Last edited by fourfoxesinpa; 09-15-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    Sunshine Rewards

I just thought that I would give everyone an update .... my husband and I decided to see Mary Poppins - this is the show that my dd has said that she wanted to see. I was able to use a discount code and managed to get $121.50 tickets for $79.50. We are in the fourth row of the balcony. I can hardly wait. Our dd knows that she is going to NYC sometime and that we are going to see a Broadway show. Her birthday is this Friday - I was thinking of trying to do something creative - any ideas. She has been trying to get info from me but I have managed to get my lips sealed. Any ideas on maybe giving her a couple of small presents that would give her clues as to what we are seeing. I thought of getting a small sugar pack. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by chipndale View Post
    I just thought that I would give everyone an update .... my husband and I decided to see Mary Poppins - this is the show that my dd has said that she wanted to see. I was able to use a discount code and managed to get $121.50 tickets for $79.50. We are in the fourth row of the balcony. I can hardly wait. Our dd knows that she is going to NYC sometime and that we are going to see a Broadway show. Her birthday is this Friday - I was thinking of trying to do something creative - any ideas. She has been trying to get info from me but I have managed to get my lips sealed. Any ideas on maybe giving her a couple of small presents that would give her clues as to what we are seeing. I thought of getting a small sugar pack. Any ideas?
    An umbrella would be good. (They sell the really nice one at the show.) My dd says a carpetbag, colored chalk (although not used in the show), measuring tape (positively perfect in every way), tickets to a carousel (not in the play), a bag of crumbs (tuppence a bag). Have fun with it! You will love the show!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by speechteachri View Post
    An umbrella would be good. (They sell the really nice one at the show.) My dd says a carpetbag, colored chalk (although not used in the show), measuring tape (positively perfect in every way), tickets to a carousel (not in the play), a bag of crumbs (tuppence a bag). Have fun with it! You will love the show!
    Oh thank you so much - I love your suggestions! I think that the measuring tape and a ticket to a carousel will make her think mom has gone completely off the deep end. The colored chalk, umbrella, and sugar should be enough for her to figure it out. If not then she better watch the movie again.