Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much luggage?

Default how much luggage?

So we are a family of four-two adults and two kids-7&10. How much luggage do you think we are really going to need? A full suitcase for each of us plus carry ons? We will be there for 10 days/11nts. My mom is an incredible seamstress and we have some darling customs and some disney store tees. We are going next month so not sure if I should pack any cooler weather stuff or assume it will be warm.
    And where do you find moleskin? I looked at the grocery store and no. Do you have to order it?
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Heather
    Dreaming of our next trip......Nov 3-13, 2012!!

One check/one carry on per person should be plenty. (Don't have kids, so can't really advise, but I always used my own small suitcase when I was younger.) I've learned to cut down on packing by putting every toiletry I possibly can into small plastic tubes. I never thought I'd be able to fit enough product into them, but I tested it out for a week at home and I could fit more than enough of everything into them. It makes a huge difference in how big of a suitcase I need...and I don't have to worry about being over the 50 lb limit

Weather in October probably won't be pants weather yet. Check extended forecasts starting about two weeks before your trip. Don't fret over any rain in an extended forecast, because rain predictions change just about every day, up until when it actually happens. You may end up needing a sweatshirt/light jacket if you're up for park openings, because it can sometimes get pretty cold overnight even if it will be warm the rest of the day. However, you'd have to tote it around when it warms up...

You can get moleskin at drug stores for sure, in the foot section

Quote Originally Posted by dwkay8 View Post
    One check/one carry on per person should be plenty. (Don't have kids, so can't really advise, but I always used my own small suitcase when I was younger.) I've learned to cut down on packing by putting every toiletry I possibly can into small plastic tubes. I never thought I'd be able to fit enough product into them, but I tested it out for a week at home and I could fit more than enough of everything into them. It makes a huge difference in how big of a suitcase I need...and I don't have to worry about being over the 50 lb limit

Weather in October probably won't be pants weather yet. Check extended forecasts starting about two weeks before your trip. Don't fret over any rain in an extended forecast, because rain predictions change just about every day, up until when it actually happens. You may end up needing a sweatshirt/light jacket if you're up for park openings, because it can sometimes get pretty cold overnight even if it will be warm the rest of the day. However, you'd have to tote it around when it warms up...

You can get moleskin at drug stores for sure, in the foot section
    thanks!!! will look for it this week! don't need blisters ruining our trip!
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by momof3lovebugs View Post
    thanks!!! will look for it this week! don't need blisters ruining our trip!
    Look for something called "Friction Block." It's in the first aid section by the bandaids. In fact Bandaid makes it. It keeps you from getting blisters if you are getting a hot spot! I keep it in my purse all the time because you never know when my work heels are going to bother...

For 4 of us even in winter, we only take 2 checked bags and a carryon + personal item each. If you are staying 10-11 days I'd only take enough outfits for half that time and do a load or 2 of laundry to cut down on the stuff you need. Those bag fees are outrageous! I am going to attempt to go with all carry-ons for our 8 nights over Christmas this year!!

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Bodyglide is another one that is great for chafing or blister prevention, it comes in a deodorant type applicator and can be found online or even at Dicks Sporting Goods, I bought mine at Drugstore.com
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    Bodyglide is another one that is great for chafing or blister prevention, it comes in a deodorant type applicator and can be found online or even at Dicks Sporting Goods, I bought mine at Drugstore.com
    bodyglide? hm, sounds like deodorant! lol! what exactly is it? I am starting to get a little nervous now....I was thinking one checked bag each plus one carry on for dh and I and purse/laptop/backpack for each of us. (kids backpacks to hold stuff to do on the plane and maybe some snacks.
    Already I am dreading the flight and not having enough food. I am gluten free and dh is a big eater. those boxed meals they serve don't look very filling for a 6' 190lb guy. I am hoping that I will just lose a little weight on the way! I plan on hitting the express line at WL and getting a togo Blackberry martini w/a salad upon arrival!
    Heather

Along with the moleskin, pick up some blister bandages. I use the CVS brand, I like them better then the name brand. If you don't catch a hot spot before it blisters, the moleskin hurts if it pulls off.

As for luggage, don't ask. DD and I cannot travel light. We take two huge suitcases, a carry on suitcase and a backpack. DD carries her purse, my purse fits in the backpack. We usally pack a duffle in one of the big suitcases for the trip home. Obviously, we fly Southwest.
    Fanofree

Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Well my husband and I do 1 carry on each and then 1 suitcase each and then a "spare suitcase" that has our bottled water and food type items in it. It is usually a smaller sized case and is used for dirty clothes on the return home. I think 1 suitcase each is fine and then a carry on should do you.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by fanofree View Post
    Along with the moleskin, pick up some blister bandages. I use the CVS brand, I like them better then the name brand. If you don't catch a hot spot before it blisters, the moleskin hurts if it pulls off.

As for luggage, don't ask. DD and I cannot travel light. We take two huge suitcases, a carry on suitcase and a backpack. DD carries her purse, my purse fits in the backpack. We usally pack a duffle in one of the big suitcases for the trip home. Obviously, we fly Southwest.
    You sound like my kind of girl! Have everything you could possibly want to wear and then only wear half of it!
    I think we'll be good w/one each not full to the brim and one carry on plus dh and I will have my camera bag and laptop.
    Must find the moleskin and bandages.....so much to do and so little time!
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by momof3lovebugs View Post
    You sound like my kind of girl! Have everything you could possibly want to wear and then only wear half of it!
    I think we'll be good w/one each not full to the brim and one carry on plus dh and I will have my camera bag and laptop.
    Must find the moleskin and bandages.....so much to do and so little time!
    They had moleskin in the resort gift shop(Port Orleans Riverside) when I was there a week ago, if you can't find it anywhere beforehand. Have a wonderful trip!