Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail and internet scam information!

Default Mail and Internet Scam Info

I got a letter in the mail today with a check enclosed. It stated I won money and to call this number. I thought it was a scam but called the number figuring that they would ask me for money or my ss# or some kind of number. They did not. They told me to deposit this check in the bank and to call them back. I am still not comfortable with this. The envelope has the name Trusted Alliance. The letter head has global finance. A California po box number. There is a phone number to me looks like it is from Canada. I do not know what to do. I hate losing the money if is true but do not feel like being scammed. They have a website which tells me nothing on top of the letter. I know this did not come from anything from SR because it is not the name I use here. Has anyone ever heard of them before. I am calling my local news station which has a solve scam segment tomorrow

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Hedy; 11-22-2007 at 11:54 AM.
    Sunshine Rewards
    "
    Jo

Don't deposit the check. The scam is to get you to deposit the check.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

ITS a Check Cashing Scam... You cash the Check (which is bad) and then they want you to send them a check/wire/money for most of it back and then your back tells you the check was bad and your out all the money you sent them and all the bank fees and such... I have gotten a few over the last few months as well! From Canada! ITS a SCAM!!!!!

Here are a few other posts on SR about this!
    http://www.sunshinerewardsforum.com/...ead.php?t=4748
    http://www.sunshinerewardsforum.com/...ead.php?t=3468
    -NOn DisBoards
    Next WDW: POP 09.04-14.08 & Free Dining
    Past WDW: 04.01, ASMO 07.05, 09.05, 09.06, 09.07.

Thats what I thought too. But I wasn't sure how the scam worked. Thanks for your answer
    Sunshine Rewards
    "
    Jo

Default Anyone ever heard of....

I just received a letter (on letterhead) from Staples Processing Center in London, ON. They are informing me that I have won a vacation and cash prize and there is a check also. The # to call is a cell number and will not go through. YIKES! They have my email listed as one of the gmails I use only here so I'm wondering if anyone else has ever heard of them? I'm sure it's one of those too good to be true prizes with a big catch-I have googled my fingers off and can't come up with anything but the Hilton in London, ON-the address on the letterhead matches the hotel and a Hertz rent a car.
    Thanks!
    Jan

Sunshine Rewards

It is sounding like it might be one of the Check cashing scams that have been going around lately...
    -NOn DisBoards
    Next WDW: POP 09.04-14.08 & Free Dining
    Past WDW: 04.01, ASMO 07.05, 09.05, 09.06, 09.07.

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

Default Mail and internet scam information!

Hey guys! Just figured it was time to make one sticky thread about these issues so everyone knows where to look for information when it comes up.
    Sunshine Rewards

Thank you! I was not sure where to put it! I can't believe this place sent me a check for just under $3,000 (to enable me to pay the processing fees) and a bogus phone number to call to get "directives" on how to claim my prize. The check is from a well know bank in Dallas- return address on the envelope is a po box in Brampton, ON - I'm going to try the phone # again in a few days - there must be something tracable (tracible?) here - be interesting to see what I can dig up.
    Jan

Sunshine Rewards

I received something very similary and I was told to call the Attorney Generals Office
    Sunshine Rewards
    "
    Jo

Wow, did you call? Can you imagine someone receiving something like this and cashing the check? I wonder what would happen then-there must be some fine print here or maybe I will get the fine print if I ever get through to the phone number in the letter. Like cash the check, use it and 10,000 dollars of your own to pay processing fees! This kind of thing is so scary!
    Jan

Sunshine Rewards