Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mail and internet scam information!

Here you are! I'm sorry I missed your thread and started a new one. The phone number and address listed in my letter are also from Canada. The phone is a cell and rings twice and goes to busy signal. I looked up the address on google (company name did not appear anywhere) and it takes me to the Hilton and a rent a car place. The check is from bank one dallas but what is really strange about this check is that it also has a logo in the upper center for a freight brokerage company that is 10 miles from my house. What would a trucking dispatch place have to do with winning a cash prize? Do they deliver in pennies? lol --keeps getting weirder! OK, I should be cooking-HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!!!!!
    Jan

Sunshine Rewards

I am getting these weekly - I must be on a sucker list... WOrst part is my DH doesn't get that it is a scam and he wants to cash the check!!!!
    Got to love him
    Thank you!

also, look very carefully at the puntuation. almost all scams have typos. something that should be capitalized is not, and mispelled words, that is another true sign of a scam.
    all star movies for 10! jun 15-21. what a nightmare of a vacation.

I must be on the same sucker list-lol! Got another today promising free grant money - I must cash the check, go to their very convincing website(already checked it out!) and pay 10% to one of the guys pictured there - then I am guaranteed to receive the other half of the money. Mmmhhhhmmm....

I agree about the typos and punctuation errors in letters/emails-a dead give away to be sure-- this check I received had a short detachable letter of instruction at the bottom-also no return address on the envelope and the bank named on the check is EWA BANK of Palmdale, CA--no address and no zip code.

It is a real shame that people are sucked into these things.
    Jan

Sunshine Rewards

Default I just won the Dublin, Ireland lottery!

Not really, of course, but that's what my letter said, along with a very authentic-looking check for over $3300. The check is apparently drawn on Wachovia from the Lowe's account (even has a watermark talking about preventing check fraud ).

It is definitely a result of one of the offers because of the spelling of my name. The letter was obviously fake ("we strongly advise that you keep this award highly confidential"), but I do give them credit for a real-looking check!

Oh, and it did come from Canada - not sure what Canada has to do with the Irish lottery!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

I've gotten a few of these and I work at a bank so I brought them in to my boss who is a lawyer. He said the bank has to keep it and turn it in to the Feds. So don't throw them away, bring them to your local bank's security dept. and they will take care of it.
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
    I've gotten a few of these and I work at a bank so I brought them in to my boss who is a lawyer. He said the bank has to keep it and turn it in to the Feds. So don't throw them away, bring them to your local bank's security dept. and they will take care of it.
    Thanks for posting this. I actually e-mailed Lowe's and Wachovia to see if either company wanted a copy (or the original) sent to their fraud department. Seems like the companies would want to track these people down!

I recieved one of these today. I had to look real close. There are 4 different addressess. One on the envelope fro Ontario, the letter header Kelowna, B.C, another address from Seminary, Ms ? and on the check from FL.

Go figure!

April
    Sunshine Rewards

I received one of these last week. A check for $4,889.00 to "help defer the taxes on my winnings". The letter said I won $490,000. Yeah, right...I'm going to be notified that I won almost half a million dollars in a letter with typos that was mailed in an envelope with my name and address on a label!!

Took the check to my bank to forward to their security department. The bank said the check is real, alright. and the funds would stay in my account just long enough for someone to rip me off!!!

Sure would have been nice....I would have done some heavy-duty Christmas shopping!
    Sunshine Rewards

Royal Pacific 03/09 then back to Disney 12/09 with the help of SR!