Thread: Help me fix Oatmeal gone bad!

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Thumbs down Help me fix Oatmeal gone bad!

I have yet to try a Hungry Girl recipe I didn't like so I decided to try out her fancy schmancy oatmeal last night. Mike has decided that he needs to eat oatmeal every day and he bought plain oatmeal to "shovel down" as he calls it and I decided that there is no need to suffer over plain oatmeal when you can jazz it up.

So I made 6 servings of this fancy schmancy oatmeal and it just tastes like pumpkin mush not spiced oatmeal (think pumpkin pie - mainly spice flavored, light on the pumpkin) like I was hoping. So what can I add to distract from the pumpkin flavor?

Recipe ingredients:
    3 cups regular oats
    6 cups water
    6 packets splenda
    6 tbsp light maple syrup
    1 1/4 tbsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 can pure pumpkin
    Sunshine Rewards

I hope you dumped the first batch. I think I would just cut back the pumpkin by about 3/4.
    Sammielynn
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

It is in the refrigerator as Mike is planning on eating it. I am trying to avoid it but since I made so much I think he is going to expect me to eat some too. LOL I am going to stick with the choco monkey oatmeal going forward. It is yummy.
    Sunshine Rewards

Did you make it with quick cook oats or old fashioned? I think a heartier oat would be better.

Cutting down the pumpkin and then adding a little at a time until you get the consistency you want, adding pumpkin pie spice, those would help.

I also wouldn't use splenda or any other artificial sweetner, I hate it in anything but especially oatmeal.

Have you tried Quaker simple harvest maple and pecan oatmeal? That is so good, you could add a little pumpkin to that.

ETA: are you sure you are using the right size can of pumpkin? Maybe 1 cup would be a better measurement to start with?
    Last edited by LuvMyBoys; 10-19-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Question
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

I too would cut down on the pumpkin, leave out the fake sugar (add some real white or brown sugar after it's made if you think you need it) and I would add allspice as the spice.

As for help with what you already made....maybe mix it with some more plain oatmeal, I know you don't want MORE of it but this would cut down on the pumpkin flavor that you don't like.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

I used regular (non quick cooking) oats and the original recipe is 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water, 3 tbsp pumpkin, 1 splenda, 1 tbsp syrup, 1/4 tsp cinnamon

So since I wanted to use up the entire can of pumpkin I made the recipe x6 so it would be the equivalent. So I think I'm going to try adding spices and syrup to get rid of this pot. I think adding more oats would just prolong this disaster.
    Sunshine Rewards

You could add eggs, flour, baking soda, and a little bit of milk to make pumpkin oatmeal bread - but then that would take the "healthy" out of it...
    ShanPooh

Sunshine Rewards Member #6059

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

Quote Originally Posted by ShanPooh View Post
    You could add eggs, flour, baking soda, and a little bit of milk to make pumpkin oatmeal bread - but then that would take the "healthy" out of it...
    I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this thread - it would get eaten and would taste much better. But not healthy.
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards

Well we finally finished that batch over the weekend. My husband could only taste cinnamon in it and liked it. I never ate it after the first taste.

I decided to experiment again and threw it all away. This time it was plain oats, 6 tbsp peanut butter, and then 3 tbsp unsweetened powdered cocoa. Back to the drawing board.
    Sunshine Rewards

I make a batch of oatmeal every morning with just cinnamon and a banana chopped into it. Walnuts if I have them and feel fancy. I pretty much eat it every day.