Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! ISO Outlet Converters

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Default Help! ISO Outlet Converters

Hey guys! I am in search of (ISO) electronic converters to be able to use US electronics in the United Kingdom (Dad took the job over there). I found one on Sharper Image but its $40 and he's going to need more than one. I was hoping to find them a tad cheaper so I could get him a few for Christmas.

So what search terms would you use? Anyone have experience buying these things?
    Sunshine Rewards

I just did a product search of "foreign outlet adapters" and Radio Shack came up with a set of 4 or 5 for $16.99. I didn't go any farther than that. Hope that helps!

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Thanks I'll check them out. I just didn't know what search terms to use. Apparently outlet converter doesn't get you too far.
    Sunshine Rewards

Radio shack's where I got mine.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

cglaura is offline Am I the only one picturing the Brady Bunch

Try searching travel converter on SR.

The least one I could find was from Circuit city for 19.99

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Franz...oductDetail.do

and eBags
    http://www.ebags.com/travel_accessor...=4001+20013818

Hope everyone is handling the change well, I know it's been stress filled.
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

We are all doing a little better now. Thanks for asking. My mom is still upset but not as bad. We are just trying to figure out when we can go visit.

My dad actually found out he'd be working with another guy he knows that has been over working in The Netherlands for a while so he's getting excited.
    Sunshine Rewards

I don't know if you ever watch the PBS show, but if you visit the "graffiti wall" on ricksteves.com, you can find out all sorts of stuff about this sort of question! Even while using one of those things I managed to blow a fuse at the B&B, and it's because I somehow used it wrong...so getting real life experience and explanations before buying or using something is good!

However, if this converter is for your dad, and you're talking about bringing DVD players and such there, all I can say (as a former Electronics store CS rep for Amazon.com) is DON'T. If something goes wrong with the electronic device, you're toast. The warranty will NOT cover it (which is why amazon won't ship US electronics anywhere overseas, or even to Canada, which is also why amazon opened other stores to sell things made in/for those countries directly IN those countries) and you'll have to replace it.

I know it's expensive, but then so is shipping all that stuff, but I'd just urge them to replace what they feel they absolutely need, with electronics that don't need converters.

All that is if they are planning on bringing their own stuff like DVD players...if your'e just talking about something so you can use your hair dryer while visiting, disregard.
    Sunshine Rewards

Thanks Molly. I am thinking that my parents are thinking about both (bringing a small tv over there as well as something like a hairdryer). I'll have to tell my dad to ask around because there is also the laptop/computer issue and trying to figure out how to get that to work over there. hmm...
    Sunshine Rewards

He could try to convince his company (I don't know what this job is, I haven't read anything about it!) that if they REALLY want him there, they can certainly provide a certain amount to replace things like that, along with getting PAL DVDs and such. Conveniently, there's amazon.co.uk to help with that.

(sorry, I love the company, I've missed it since I quit, and since DH was hired back in Oct I'm even more evangelical about everything-amazon, lol)

Word of caution, just make sure that you are searching for the right thing. A converter is different from an adaptor. What you want is a step down converter. This converts the 220/240 volts in the UK down to 110 volts for your American electronics. If you don't use this, your electronic items will have a major meltdown. You will need the adaptor as well. But, you can usually find a converter/adaptor kit that has both.

Your Dad may not need a converter. If you look at the power cord for the device he is taking, it will tell you the voltage it can accomodate. For example, my laptop power cord has an input of 100-230v(dual voltage). So, I wouldn't need a converter for my laptop. I would just need the adaptor. Same thing for my battery charger for my digital camera. But, my husbands electric razor is not dual voltage(input of 110 only). So, that would require a converter and adaptor.

Here is a website that explains it better than I can. It tells you exactly what you may need and shows you what the Uk plug adaptor looks like.
    http://www.travelproducts.com/store/electric.htm

Looks like Radio Shack is a good place to find what you want. And believe it or not, I found one at Shoebuy.com too.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...y35w4xduBfk2vA
    http://www.shoebuy.com/eagle-creek-a...ter-set/131727