Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday shopping, something I noticed, a head's up

Default Black Friday shopping, something I noticed, a head's up

Not sure if this is the place to put it, but I realized something today and I wanted to share it as a bit of a "warning" while we're all shopping. Should have asked the mod that while I was asking if it was OK to post *this*!

I'm subscribed to one of the "black friday advertisement" websites. I don't normally shop on that day, but it's fun for me to see what all is on sale. I like the knowledge. I never really gave it much thought, as to what sort of site those websites are.

Until today, while reading an email that one sent out, when they mentioned a store with an affiliate program and that they chose to leave the store's affiliate program today...and I realized...oh no, those sites are affiliates of some of the stores they mention!

So when I go and look at xyz's BF coupons, if I click through to xyz, I am sending a cookie (layman's terms LOL) to them. If I don't realize it and decide to shop through Sunshine...I could end up not getting credit for that purchase. Why? Because the credit went to the BF site. Which is lovely for them and all, but not generally my intention when I click through Sunshine.

I've been around Sunshine for over 3 years, and I've seen the BF websites for almost as long, but I just never put two and two together before. If I didn't realize it, I am sure there are others, especially all the fabulous new members I've noticed the last month or so.

So I wanted to give a head's up, to be *careful* that you aren't giving your cookies away (ha) to just anyone, when your intention is to shop through Sunshine.

Hope that helps and that I said it all clearly.
    Sunshine Rewards

I'm confused here! I thought if we cleared cookies prior to making the actual purchase, all was good?
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

Oh don't let me confuse you!

What I am saying here is that what I thought was a "benign" site, where I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about clearing cookies, isn't "benign". A person could come across the advertisement site, not know that they are involved with the affiliate programs, and not bother to clear cookies.

That's what I wanted to make sure of, that we all know that at least one of those sites isn't just an info site, that it could interfere if you're not careful.
    Sunshine Rewards

Thanks for the heads up!
    Karn
    Sunshine Rewards

Member #4187

Molly is right. You have to be super careful. Sometimes when you go to a site and it says "click here to see the coupon or deal" you actually give any sales credit to them just by clicking on it....even if you don't end up on the merchant site. It's tricky but a lot of deal sites do it.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

Quote Originally Posted by mmm611 View Post
    I'm confused here! I thought if we cleared cookies prior to making the actual purchase, all was good?
    Not always true. I visited a site to make a purchase before I checked to see if they were a SR merchant. Once I realized they were I emptied my basket, cleared the cookies and waited until the next day to make the purchase and I still didn't receive credit. The second time I purchased from that store I went straight through SR and the credit showed up almost immediately, so I would still be careful.
    Sunshine Rewards

Thanks for the info and reminder.
    Sunshine Rewards

This is great advice for newer users. I remember when I first started in the reward world I had no idea that computers kept cookies and places could "steal" the credit. But I lost many credits when I first started. Now I never ever click on someones coupon, even if it looks good.
    <Sunshine Rewards

Okay, I realize I am blonde but I am totally confuzzled by this? Does that mean if we go to a website before we come here thru like ********s or something then we won't get credit here?
    I just placed an order thru disney store (which I don't see pending yet but it's not 10 days I think) and will be waiting for the pending credit to appear. If I looked on their site before here, even if it was days ago and I didn't do a clear here, am I hosed?
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Heather
    Dreaming of our next trip......Nov 3-13, 2012!!

Check this thread for the info about the cashout changes.

http://www.sunshinerewardsforum.com/...ad.php?t=51518

I can't help you out with the questiona bout your purchase, sorry!
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards