View Poll Results: Are You Spending Less This Holiday Season?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because our family situation necessitates it.

22 40.74%
  • Yes, because I am afraid of what the economy is going to do in 2008.

6 11.11%
  • No, I'm actually spending more.

7 12.96%
  • No, I'm spending about the same as always.

18 33.33%
  • I have no clue whatsoever!

1 1.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You Shopping as Much This Year?

Default Are You Shopping as Much This Year?

I was just reading a study that the numbers coming in for the holiday season so far are dismal. I'm wondering if people are really tightening their belts this year because they NEED to (loss of jobs, cost of gas going up, etc) or they WANT to (afraid that economy is going to get worse). Or are people really feeling like they are spending the same as ever. So here's a quick poll. How about you?
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

I wouldnt say I'm not shopping as much. But I have been staying more budgeted and I started early (July) for my shopping. Having worked retail I kinda know when stores start marking down, before they start "marking up". So really I havene spent neasrly as much this time as I did last year, Mainly because 3/4 was already done!
    "Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Michelle

wdwabby is offline I'm like the MacGyver of crafting - I'll figure something out!

I've spent much, MUCH less - the few storebought gifts I'm giving were all purchased during the course of the year. Everything else will be homemade and I haven't spend all that much on supplies, maybe $50.

I'm trying to get myself out of the little bit of consumer debt I have so I can start saving again for replacing my car and get some cushion savings in place for when I change jobs, whenever that may be.
    Sunshine Rewards
    Joined 6/1/07 Sunshining my way back to WDW ... one penny at a time!

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

I'm shopping less because our family has decided to draw names for our gift giving and so instead of having to buy 4 separate adult gifts x about $50 each we are buying one gift and spending about $30-$35. None of us needs anything anyway, we all buy what we want throughout the year...it's about getting together for the holidays anyway and not about the gift giving! Hubby and I don't buy for extended family members, just immediate family, our family is very small compared to the rest of my friends. So, I would say we are spending alot less than previous years!
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

Yep less this year, less spending and shopping, but more thoughtful gifts.
    -NOn DisBoards
    Next WDW: POP 09.04-14.08 & Free Dining
    Past WDW: 04.01, ASMO 07.05, 09.05, 09.06, 09.07.

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I started shopping earlier this year so that I spread out my spending. I think I cut back a little on my parents and brother but spent more on Mike. I did notice that I tended to go for better quality items that cost a tad more than cheaper gifts but buying more gifts if that makes sense.
    Sunshine Rewards

I've actually tried to cut back on shopping this year. My kids don't need much of anything. DS 26, is moving the begining of the year, so he want items geared towards that. Now, the twins, that's a different story!! All day long, I hear "Mommy, can we have that!?" At first, I would say yes, but now I say no, without even looking at the commercial!! LOL. Although, I think I've cut back, DH would disagree! LOL.
    Sunshine Rewards

DisneyMa is offline I need to be moving, but I'm relaxing on SR!!

Spending a little less here. I started shopping in March (Disneyland trip) and shopped throughout the year. I also haven't bought as much, just better more thoughtful gifts. The girls got clothes that they wanted (but I didn't want to spend that much on!) and toys that I have accumulated from Target shopping trips I also did more online shopping this year (yeah to SR) The family decided we would rather do Disneyland 2 times this year and have a smaller Christmas

It's really nice to be done with shopping and have NO credit card debit to show!! Only SR credits and Disney reward dollars
    Sunshine Rewards

I, too, started earlier. I am also looking for the deals more than I have in the past. I probably have spent a little less, but I have spread it out, too so the credit card bill won't scare me as badly.

My big reason though is that dh's christmas bonus won't be paid until March. I used to use that for x-mas. Now it isn't there...grrrr.

The thing is, I just don't see it getting much better. Gas prices leads to higher groceries and other goods. Health inrurance keeps going up too. I just don't see any of this ending anytime soon.

Thanks LuvMyBoys & arob414
    Sunshine Rewards

I think I'm spending about the same. The huge difference is that I only had one gift to buy from a store. I did everything else online and through SR. After working in retail for 12+ years, this is the first year I allowed to stay away from the mall and I certainly took advantage of it. Plus it's the first year I actually made money back while I was spending it!
    Lisa

Sunshine RewardsPhotobucket