View Poll Results: Are You Spending Less This Holiday Season?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because our family situation necessitates it.

22 40.74%
  • Yes, because I am afraid of what the economy is going to do in 2008.

6 11.11%
  • No, I'm actually spending more.

7 12.96%
  • No, I'm spending about the same as always.

18 33.33%
  • I have no clue whatsoever!

1 1.85%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You Shopping as Much This Year?

I've bought for a few less people this year (since its just me and kevin, tricia and Angie I work with not 13 techs and 3 drs), but I think I spent about the same if not more. The only thng on cc is what had to be to get the discounts, but thats ok, it helps spread it out and then I can pay those off when they come in next month.The economy really sucks this year, gas is outrageous and employment is at an all time low, it just looks better because our service men are considered employed, and I can tell you first hand that the unemployment offices don't even recognize 1/4 of the claims for unemployment they get. Hopefully next year will be better. But whoever you buy for, and whatever you buy, I'm sure they will appreciate it not for the value but for the sentiment behind it.
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

We cut back our holiday spending quite a bit last year because we were in the process of moving from Hawaii to Colorado. So, this year I figure that budget will work for us again.
    Andrea

I'm spending less but I'm shopping almost just as much. I haven't bought anything unless it's a deal with a coupon or free shipping.

I'm finding I am getting more emails for companies offering % off and free shipping. Seems everyone is clammering for my business. Yay!! Better for me. Some of the sites send emails daily!! I think they are hurting.

DH and I are going to Ireland in June 2008 and we want to take an Alaskan cruise and land tour in 2009. Alaska is going to be expensive. We decided not to buy each other more than a few gifts. We always spend too much on each other and it really isn't necessary.

Of course I always go overboard on the kids. There may come a time when I can't do it.....but for now, I can......so I do!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Overall, I think I'm spending the same. With two kids of my own now, I've shifted the spending from other family members to my immediate family. By starting my shopping earlier this year, I have also been able to get some great deals. With higher gas prices and online sites offering free shipping (in addition to being pregnant), I did about 95% of my shopping online this year.

I have also bought things when I have found good deals and have a nice stash for Valentine's, Easter, Birthdays and rewards. I found a lot of books and craft type stuff that I couldn't pass up. But I do agree that for the main Christmas gifts, it's hard to know what small kids will want before like October or November.
    Last edited by disney_girl; 12-12-2007 at 12:42 AM.
    Sunshine Rewards

I am spending about the same as always, but I start shopping for next year's gifts VERY early. I watch for deals, and take advantage of them when they come along to make my purchases more budget friendly. I do this every year though, not just this one.
    Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

It's about the same but I'm figuring in our Disney trip.

We warned the kids that Disney would be part of their christmas present, BUT for DH and I that was bc we're tired of the over commicialization of the holiday not to mention how many plastic toys we have with 3 children 8, 5 and 4. last year was a little too much, just too many small things that they only play with half the time. We don't buy our kids gifts just bc, when we're out in the store the kids know their not getting anything, so things I do buy throughout the year will go towards Easter, Valentines's etc.

This year the kids are getting the Wii from Santa with the accessories. Mom and dad got them each a big game (Guitar Hero, HSM2, Mario etc) they got new jackets (girls area getting Disney Pirates and HSM varsity, son is getting a fleece from his hockey team with name and number) and some other dolls and small things, but not much.

We cut back the last 4 years big time. It was getting to be too much.
    I buy for my 3 kids, my 2 younger brothers and my neice. the grandparents get Kodak calendars and something else, this year a fleece blanket of the kids and usually a gift card out to eat or movies. DH and I don't tend to buy eachother anything for xmas, bc we'll make big purchases. 2 yrs ago I needed a new digital camera. this year he bought his hockey equipment for his 40th and he also ref's hockey games so the ref gear he's considering his xmas present. this year we needed a new camcorder so that's our big gift along with Disney. We're pretty good about being realistic, if we don't need it we won't buy it. I always use coupons or buy things on sale. Poor DS8 in the grocery store knows, he'll ask to buy something and then look and say oh wait it's not on sale, but mom do you have a coupon? lol Very practical.
    Which is why we won't put anything on the cc that won't be paid in full the next month.
    Ok so I got off topic....

It's about the same over all but I'm figuring in the extra's we purchased at Disney, the kids never do without and they'll be more then happy with what they do get. When they out grow Santa, it'll probably be cut down even more, but that's when their stuff starts geting more expensive anyway!

I'm trying to get hte kids to focus on the real meaning and giving then the actual presents, but it's so hard at this age.

April

PS forgot to add I start my shopping for xmas the day after xmas! lol Last year in Jan Target put most of their toys 75% off I was able to pick up a ton of stuff mainly for bday's and friends bday parties for the whole year. I'm happy to say that most of the stuff Target put on clearance was still in other stores full price so a $20 or $30 toy was $5-$10 and my kids were able to attend most every party they were invited too. [Plus I put some aside for their bdays and other events. I try to pick up some things throughout the year, but with kids this age you never know what they want until they see it on TV in november! lol
    Last edited by askomsky; 12-11-2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: update
    Sunshine Rewards

I just hope if the numbers are down that means that the Sat. before Christmas will have some great sales! I know I will hunting for some last minute stuff before we head to Disney on Christmas Eve.
    Sunshine Rewards

About the same here - there are family members that we MUST buy for, we want to do nice things for our parents, and are beyond lucky and fortunate that the changes in the economy have not really affected us.

I'm the frugal shopper and my dh goes at the last minute and blows my budget.
    I was hoping to have airline tickets for everyone's Christmas Present but the price of airline tickets is outragious for the week before Easter.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

I have spent the same as last year..

But every year I say "we are going to cut back this year"
    Sunshine Rewards