Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yet another kindle question...help!

Default yet another kindle question...help!

Hi all! I know this question might be somewhat redundant in light of the current kindle post, but I really ned some help.

DH and I had decided not to get gifts for each other this year and instead put the cash back into our house, which we would like to try to sell. Anyway, now he has been hinting like crazy about wanting a kindle, and my dd told me he bought me a gift. He always does this to me!

Anyway, I really do not know the first think about the kindle, and it bugs me that I probably missed out on any deals that might have been out there. Here's my big questions after reading through the other thread:

So what is really important for me to know? He has a mac...does that change anything? (he is very computer savy, but I am not, and I don't want to make a bad purchase.)

Where is the best place to get one?

What does 3G mean exactly?? And how much does it add to the cost?

What are any add ons that I should expect to have to get as well?

Help...I am totally lost!
    Sunshine Rewards

No worries, you did not miss any deal on a Kindle. They are $139 for a wifi version or $189 for 3G and wifi. With wifi you can connect your interent wifi that you have at home to your Kindle and download books there. With 3G you can be ANYWHERE in the US and download books, well as long as they have 3G coverage. I have never not been somewhere with coverage but others have complained about this.

As far as I know Amazon is the only ones selling a kindle unless you try ebay or craigslist. But they seem to sell for about the price as amazon so not a savings.

There are no add ons. But I did buy a kindle case and I bought a skin to make it more personal. Others might buy a lighted case so they could read at night.

If you have more questions their website answers a lot.
    Last edited by wilsonfamily4; 12-09-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added website
    <Sunshine Rewards

Target now carries the Kindle
    Judi
    Over 100 trips to WDW, 50+ to DL, and 25+ aboard DCL! We are also DVC members!

Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyJudi View Post
    Target now carries the Kindle
    WHAT!!! I am going to go check that out now!

Looks like they just sell kindle accessories. Where did you see the Kindle device? Wouldn't be surprised though as Target and Amazon seem to be conneceted.
    Last edited by wilsonfamily4; 12-09-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    <Sunshine Rewards

OK did some research. Looks like some Target stores sold kindles in September. But I cannot confirm that they still do or which ones do. If a Target store near you sold them it would sure be nice for you to touch one and see what you thought.
    Last edited by wilsonfamily4; 12-09-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    <Sunshine Rewards

They had them yesterday in our Target store here Lots of accessories as well. They were also advertised in our Sunday sale flyer.
    Judi

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyJudi View Post
    They had them yesterday in our Target store here Lots of accessories as well. They were also advertised in our Sunday sale flyer.
    COOL!! Ours does not but, Hey Oregon seems to be a bit behind. Did your store sell Kindle 3? I kind of like the Kindle 2 (what I own) but they are not selling that anymore, would be my first choice for my mom.
    <Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonfamily4 View Post
    COOL!! Ours does not but, Hey Oregon seems to be a bit behind. Did your store sell Kindle 3? I kind of like the Kindle 2 (what I own) but they are not selling that anymore, would be my first choice for my mom.
    Yes, they had the 3, and the wifi and 3G models!
    Judi

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Not too many choices with Kindles LOL and they only go on sale when the new one is released and they have left over inventory of the older model. The price difference is $50 between wifi only and wifi+3G. If you travel alot and want to download books on the go get the 3G. If you are going to download books at home only or transfer from a desktop/laptop stick with the wifi.

The only accessory you need would be a cover. These vary in price range so whatever price point you need for the budget there will be a cover for you.

You can buy them at Amazon.com, Target (target stores only) and bestbuy (stores only can't do online pickup either). The Kindles even with free shipping have been arriving within 3 days of shipment in my experiences.
    Sunshine Rewards

Staples also sells the Kindle if that is more convenient for anyone, and my store had a display so that folks could play with them.
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards