Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS?

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
    Can you set it to have directions when you're walking.
    The book really doesn't say anything about that, however you can program it to get you to a destination. It shows streets, but also longitude and latitude of where you are. I have a 10 year old one used for hiking, and I think it depended on longitude and latitude to get you from point A to point B. However, you need to put in a city, street and street address in to find a location, so I'm not sure that is what you are looking for.

It has other capabilities, like finding a restaurant, point of interest, gas station, ATM, currency converter, world clock, etc., but I don't think this is what you are looking for, either. It gives an address of http://shop.garmin.com or www.garmin.com/extras to fine optional accessories. HTH
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by spring View Post
    The book really doesn't say anything about that, however you can program it to get you to a destination. It shows streets, but also longitude and latitude of where you are. I have a 10 year old one used for hiking, and I think it depended on longitude and latitude to get you from point A to point B. However, you need to put in a city, street and street address in to find a location, so I'm not sure that is what you are looking for.

It has other capabilities, like finding a restaurant, point of interest, gas station, ATM, currency converter, world clock, etc., but I don't think this is what you are looking for, either. It gives an address of http://shop.garmin.com or www.garmin.com/extras to fine optional accessories. HTH
    Thanks!
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

We have the Magellan 2200T and love it. We have had it just over a year and use it actually more than we thought. It is nice driving at night because you can visually see twists and turns in the road before you get to them. It doesn't do perfect in very fast moving, complicated interchanges so in that case you sort of need to know where you are going, but on the positive side if you take a wrong turn it immediately re-routes you to get you going back in the right direction again. We looked at the Garmins, Tom Tom's, etc. and finally settled on this one and have never regretted it. I see that Costco has this model now for alot less than we paid a year or so ago. But it has been worth every penny we spent on it.

DH says that Magellan and Garmin maps use maps from "Navteq" which is a US based company and is said to be more accurate (at least in North America). Tom Tom uses maps from "Tele-Atlas" which is a Netherlands (European) based company and is said to be more accurate for Europe, but maybe not for North America. All three GPS manufacturers use the same "SiRF III" GPS receiver chipset, which means that they are electronically the same inside. The only difference DH says is the packaging, the user interface and the marketing. The packaging for the Magellan 2200T is waterproof, and has a much better suction cup windshield mount than the (non waterproof) Garmin Nuvi. The Magellan 2200T can also be software upgraded to be a 2500T model, which has topographical maps and is suitable for hiking, outdoor use, etc. Magellan 2200T also has a very nice user interface that makes searching for cities and street names very easy (as you type in the letters, the least likely next letters are dimmed out, while the most likely are highlighted. It can also do zip codes). Since Garmin and Magellan both use the same GPS chipset and Navteq maps, any claims of one being more accurate than the other should be taken with a grain of salt.

DH says you should look at comparable models in the same price range from all three manufacturers and decide based on your needs. All of them come with different standard accessories, and add on (at extra cost) accessories. Some are prettier than others, but they are (electronically) the same inside. Some models give you voice based instructions ("take the next left), and some give you voice based instructions with street names ("take a left at Main Street"), others have no voice based instructions at all. This is something you should also pay attention to. DH says he found the user comments posted on Amazon to be extremely useful.
    Last edited by missymouse; 12-29-2007 at 11:59 PM.
    Sunshine Rewards

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Can you set it to have directions when you're walking.
    Both my son and myself/husband each have the Garmin Nuvi 350 and love it, it is really compact and easy to carry around. We have never used it to walk around but my son and his girlfriend used it this past November to walk all around NYC and they said it worked great except for alot of times it lost the connection because of all the tall buildings but he said without it they would have not gotten to where they wanted to go. HTH
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

Thanks all! I wound up getting the Nuvi 200 (which has the pedestrian feature I want). Amazon has the best price. Stinks to miss out on the SR credit, but at least it helps fund the cruise and games.

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

Thanks all! I wound up getting the Nuvi 200 (which has the pedestrian feature I want). Amazon has the best price. Stinks to miss out on the SR credit, but at least it helps fund the cruise and games.
    Since I also have the Garmin Nuvi, could you please explain the pedestrian feature to me? I'd like to get the most out of it that I can. Thanks!
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by spring View Post
    Since I also have the Garmin Nuvi, could you please explain the pedestrian feature to me? I'd like to get the most out of it that I can. Thanks!
    Under route settings, you can set it to pedestrain-which you can use when walking around a city for walkable directions. HTH.

Under route settings, you can set it to pedestrain-which you can use when walking around a city for walkable directions. HTH.
    Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

I got a Garmin Nuvi 650 for Christmas. It's so easy to setup. I LOVE IT!