Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Books - Read any lately?

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Default Books - Read any lately?

Since so many people got books for Christmas, Kindles, Nooks, etc. It is time to start a new book thread.

So what have you read? Did you like it? Where did you buy it (ie maybe it's on sale)

I just finished reading Natural Blond Instincts last night by Jill Shalvis. It is currently $3.60 on Amazon for the Kindle edition. It was a very light read but kind of cute. A girl trying to find a job she is passionate about decides to take up her dad's offer to be a VP of a new hotel he is opening. Along the way she finds what she is meant to do and goes back to school and lives happily ever after at her job and with her new boyfriend.
    Sunshine Rewards

Recently I have read:
    Fireflies in DecemberFireflies in December-it was free on Kindle-a good historical fiction novel
    Code Blue-it was free on Kindle. It's a Christian novel, but held my interest. Cheesy, but perfect for sitting on a cruiseship and reading
    Full Dark No Stars-Stephen King is my all-time favorite author, and if you are a fan of his, this did not disappoint
    Stupid History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions Throughout the Ages. Free on Kindle. It was stuff I already knew, and poorly written.
    I'm currently reading "Under the Dome."
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I downloaded stupid history over the weekend. guess I'll be deleting it. Thanks for the review
    Sunshine Rewards

I just finnished Troublesome Creek (Troublesome Creek Series #1) Watson, Jan that was free for Kindle. I enjoyed it. I downloaded about 5 free ones on my kindle over the last month and only got a few pages into them before deleting them. It is sure hit and miss with free but hey they are free.

I am reading the 4th book in the Narnia series to my kids. Been abot 15 years since I have read them and I am enjoying it.
    <Sunshine Rewards

i'm just getting into "carved in bone" by jefferson bass. it's available for free for the nook right now. one of the authors is the man who founded the body farm in tennessee. i'm liking it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvamystery89 View Post
    i'm just getting into "carved in bone" by jefferson bass. it's available for free for the nook right now. one of the authors is the man who founded the body farm in tennessee. i'm liking it so far.
    How did your daughter like her Kindle?
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Blessing and Miracle View Post
    How did your daughter like her Kindle?
    weeeeeell...the nook wasn't as big a hit as i'd hoped. her favorite things so far are the nintendo DS games and the "guilty party" for wii game. maybe we should've just bought her video games, lol.
    her aunt sent her a $50 nook gift card, and she did download a book for it on monday that she said was pretty good, but she just doesn't seem very interested, which is disappointing, because she really loves to read. i think part of the problem is that she's very picky about what she reads, and can't decide what to try-it's not like going to the library, where you can pick out a book and sit down and read a few pages to see if you like it, lol.
    i, on the other hand, LOVE my nook and am already on my third novel, lol.

how did the girls like their barbies?

Quote Originally Posted by iluvamystery89 View Post
    weeeeeell...the nook wasn't as big a hit as i'd hoped. her favorite things so far are the nintendo DS games and the "guilty party" for wii game. maybe we should've just bought her video games, lol.
    her aunt sent her a $50 nook gift card, and she did download a book for it on monday that she said was pretty good, but she just doesn't seem very interested, which is disappointing, because she really loves to read. i think part of the problem is that she's very picky about what she reads, and can't decide what to try-it's not like going to the library, where you can pick out a book and sit down and read a few pages to see if you like it, lol.
    i, on the other hand, LOVE my nook and am already on my third novel, lol.

how did the girls like their barbies?
    Does B&N allow you to read an except for free before you buy? That might help her out some.
    Sunshine Rewards

I started Overnight Socialite last night and like it so far. It is a bit choppy to begin with because you are introduced to 4 characters with different story lines that haven't converged until Chapter 3 or 4. It is $2.96 on Amazon.com right now for the Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/Overnight-Soci...3641494&sr=8-2

Review from Amazon.com:
    Lucy Jo Ellis, from a small town in Minnesota, moved to New York with the dream of becoming a famous designer, but so far, working in a dress shop cutting out patterns, she hasn’t gotten very far. Wyatt Hayes is a Harvard-educated anthropologist from money, very old money, who just dumped his socialite girlfriend. Suddenly inspired while waiting for a taxi, he bets his friend that he can turn a girl, any girl, into a bona fide New York socialite, no matter how corn-fed she is. Lucy needs a job, so she agrees to the experiment. In a whirlwind of personal trainers, designer gowns, spa retreats, and elocution lessons, Lucy is transformed, and now she must decide which of the Lucys is really her, and if Wyatt is simply a scientist or if there is more to his story. Clark offers a charming twenty-first-century update of Pygmalion and My Fair Lady.
    Sunshine Rewards

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    Does B&N allow you to read an except for free before you buy? That might help her out some.
    I have Nook and Kindle apps downloaded to my laptop. Suggested that to Anna because she has been reading FanFiction.net for days so I don't think she minds reading from laptop. And, she is like me, reading the book is our thing then we just pass our book along. Anyway, I am downloading lots of free books, each have a free sample so I would think the Nook does on regular books, too.

I wish Grace would use a Nook/Kindle because that would be cheaper and eventually she is going to need a room just for her books.