Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney Half Marathon

Default Disney Half Marathon

My DD and BIL are running the Disney half marathon next week. Has anyone been a spectator for this race and might be able to offer some advice on seeing the runners at different locations. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZLE View Post
    My DD and BIL are running the Disney half marathon next week. Has anyone been a spectator for this race and might be able to offer some advice on seeing the runners at different locations. Thanks and Happy New Year!
    I will be there watching my sister run it I have never been a spectator before, but I did use the online tool to sign up for text updates of her progress. I figure there are going to be thousands of runners so it is going to be hard to see her much along the race. I hope the texts will make it easier for me to track her to the finish line so I can watch her cross it

Hope you guys have a great trip and that your daughter and BIL have a great race
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

Thanks for telling me about the text alerts. I just signed up. I saw that the 5.3 mile mark is at Cinderella's castle so maybe we'll try to see them there.

Have a great trip.

I'll be curious to hear how the text alerts work for you all. I'm running the Princess Half in February and would like for my husband to be able to track where I'm at. Still trying to figure out all of the logistics of travel for me and them. (And thinking a 5:45am race is a little crazy )! Can't wait to hear how it goes for your families!!
    Sunshine Rewards

I'll be sure to report back! I thought the text alerts were a cool idea, especially since I am sure I will be surprised by the sheer number of runners!

I hate running a mile...much less 13 of them All of the runners have my admiration!

Luckily this trip is my girls weekend, little gift for mommy after all of her hard work during the holidays so no dealing with kiddos for me! Just a weekend of sun, eating out, reading, relaxing.....oh yeah, and watching my little sister run!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

No running here, but think it is great for all of the participants (and spectators!)... maybe one day!!`
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by disney_girl View Post
    I'll be curious to hear how the text alerts work for you all. I'm running the Princess Half in February and would like for my husband to be able to track where I'm at. Still trying to figure out all of the logistics of travel for me and them. (And thinking a 5:45am race is a little crazy )! Can't wait to hear how it goes for your families!!
    I ran the princess last year (and will be doing it again this year, along with the marathon this Sunday). The texts were not real time, so could not be used to actually see where I was on the course. They received all the texts, (3 or 4) after I had already crossed the finish line.
    Last edited by Stinkerbelle; 01-06-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkerbelle View Post
    I ran the princess last year (and will be doing it again this year, along with the marathon this Sunday). The texts were not real time, so could not be used to actually see where I was on the course. They received all the texts, (3 or 4) after I had already crossed the finish line.
    They must have improved them for this year b/c my texts were real time. The delay was maybe a minute at most. I watched her cross the finish line and the text was there within a minute with her time and mile per hour number. And I was woken up by the first text around 6:30am telling me she was at the 5k mark.

Of course she woke me up getting ready at 3am too, but that was to be expected

Hope everyone had a good race, we sure had tons of fun!!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post
    They must have improved them for this year b/c my texts were real time. The delay was maybe a minute at most. I watched her cross the finish line and the text was there within a minute with her time and mile per hour number. And I was woken up by the first text around 6:30am telling me she was at the 5k mark.

Of course she woke me up getting ready at 3am too, but that was to be expected

Hope everyone had a good race, we sure had tons of fun!!
    Wow mine weren't real time on Sunday. My 5 mile one was 7 minutes behind, 10 mile was 15 minutes behind, etc. I ended up just calling my mom to tell her where I was. I had an amazing time, Disney races are the BEST!

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkerbelle View Post
    Wow mine weren't real time on Sunday. My 5 mile one was 7 minutes behind, 10 mile was 15 minutes behind, etc. I ended up just calling my mom to tell her where I was. I had an amazing time, Disney races are the BEST!
    The only one I actually "saw" was the finish line, and that was definitely very close to when she actually hit the finish line. I wonder if it matters that she was doing the half marathon?

CONGRATS on your marathon finish!!! My sister was a first timer and she was so surprised to see the characters out during the run! Disney sure does a great job!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie