Thread: Looking for a good snow shovel

Default Looking for a good snow shovel

And I need it right about now! I just broke the one I had trying to smash up some ice on my apartment balcony. Given that I live in an apartment, this isn't the kind of thing I really have any experience shopping for, let alone know what's a good one! The one I had was the only one the grocery store had in stock on a really snowy weekend two years ago and I'd sprained my ankle on my steps the day before, so I was NOT about to go running all over to find something better.

Right now, I think Sears and Lowe's are pretty much my two options since both offer in store pickup. What do I need to look for in a good shovel and use it to smash up ice and not have it break on me? I should also add I live in NE Ohio, so this gets used pretty regularly.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mmm611; 01-13-2011 at 05:26 PM.
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

Quote Originally Posted by mmm611 View Post
    And I need it right about now! I just broke the one I had trying to smash up some ice on my apartment balcony. Given that I live in an apartment, this isn't the kind of thing I really have any experience shopping for, let alone know what's a good one! The one I had was the only one the grocery store had in stock on a really snowy weekend two years ago and I'd sprained my ankle on my steps the day before, so I was NOT about to go running all over to find something better.

Right now, I think Sears and Lowe's are pretty much my two options since both offer in store pickup. What do I need to look for in a good shovel and use it to smash up ice and not have it break on me? I should also add I live in NE Ohio, so this gets used pretty regularly.

Thanks!
    When I read your title I thought oh my...I would like to give you mine. We only live in western PA. I'm really tired of this 1 or 2 every night. DH always looks for something that has a metal edge at the part that goes against the ground. Other than that he just looks for something that seem well made ... doesn't bend or twist real easy.
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards

Thanks for the offer. I like the looks of the ones at Lowe's on their site, but I think I'm going to go with this one. My mom had my dad take a minute and look and this is what he picked out. Partly because it actually has reviews and partly because Sears is closer than Lowe's!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=1294955708413
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

That looks like a good one ... hope you don't need to use it!
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards