Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you go about renting out DVC points?

Red face How do you go about renting out DVC points?

We have found ourselves in a bit of a bind this year. DH only gets paid by commission. Not good. So in our attempt to cut costs/make more money, our DVC points came under scrutiny. We've gone back and forth about the possibility of selling them. We sooooo don't want to!!!!! It's very much a decision that we are making with our hearts, not our minds. Then we figured maybe we could rent the points out, since we won't have money to make another trip for at least another 18 months or more. But we have no clue how to go about that. I glanced at the info on the DIS but found myself overwhelmed. I'll be the first to admit I really don't know/understand much about the DVC. I'm sure there are many rules and regulations that I'm unfamiliar with! Would someone be able to "dumb it down" to me? The specifics are that we would have 79 points that would need to be used before June 2012. Then we get our 160 points for this year in June. Anybody able to explain to me how to go about renting?? Thanks in advance for your help!!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

I am no help and not a dvc member but am interested in how this works for near future reference! March, to be exact!!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Heather
    Dreaming of our next trip......Nov 3-13, 2012!!

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

I rented once but it was to a friend...I just called and made the reservation in their name and gave them the confirmation letter when it was mailed to me, at that time they gave me a check. Is there another DVC member that you know that would want or need them, you are allowed to transfer into another members account once per year but you are not allowed to be compensated for it but they don't need to know those details! In your new member planner book, it tells about this on page 6 & 7 but nothing on renting. It's way easier if you know someone that wants to rent points.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

If you do a search someone once posted a kind of standard rental contract that might help. Obviously renting to people you know would be easier (but not always doable).
    Sunshine Rewards

I have rented points three times, three different ways

1 - rented from an SR member, she posted here in the Disney part of the forum that she had points to rent. I sent her a pm and we agreed that I would rent the points and pay the paypal fees (or we might have split them). I gave her the dates I wanted and she called and found out what was available. I paid her via paypal, she gave me the confirmation number. Great experience.

2 - rented from a post on the Dis, the member listed his price per point ($10 in good times, lower if the points need to be used soon or if there is little interest b/c so many points are being rented out). He called the reservation center, got what was available, we did a three way call when he booked the reservation. I paid via paypal, I paid the fees and did it as a buyer/seller transaction to protect myself (the fees are a little higher since it is not a personal money transfer, but I wanted the protection). Great experience.

3 - just rented points in October to use in January (marathon weekend) from a poster over at Mouseowners. He posted his points and I sent him a pm, he called and got what was available. He and I talked on the phone and I gave him my info, he set the reservation up and used my email so I received the confirmation email from DVC before my trip (like one week before) so I could check in online. Again I paid via paypal and paid the fees to protect myself. Again it was a great experience!

Mouseowners and the Dis have members who look to transfer points too, I would suggest having them pay via paypal. Also you can only transfer points once per year (I think it might be once per use year) so I would keep that in mind too.

There is a huge market for renting and transferring the points, so I bet you can find willing buyers in no time

HTH
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by zoodoyle View Post
    We have found ourselves in a bit of a bind this year. DH only gets paid by commission. Not good. So in our attempt to cut costs/make more money, our DVC points came under scrutiny. We've gone back and forth about the possibility of selling them. We sooooo don't want to!!!!! It's very much a decision that we are making with our hearts, not our minds. Then we figured maybe we could rent the points out, since we won't have money to make another trip for at least another 18 months or more. But we have no clue how to go about that. I glanced at the info on the DIS but found myself overwhelmed. I'll be the first to admit I really don't know/understand much about the DVC. I'm sure there are many rules and regulations that I'm unfamiliar with! Would someone be able to "dumb it down" to me? The specifics are that we would have 79 points that would need to be used before June 2012. Then we get our 160 points for this year in June. Anybody able to explain to me how to go about renting?? Thanks in advance for your help!!
    christina, is it june 2011 or 2012? the bolded part has me confused. i'm DYING to go back to wdw, and if the price were right, i could probably convince DH, lol. let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by iluvamystery89 View Post
    christina, is it june 2011 or 2012? the bolded part has me confused. i'm DYING to go back to wdw, and if the price were right, i could probably convince DH, lol. let me know!
    The 79 points were our leftover 2010 points that we banked, and then we get our 160 points for 2011 in June, so we'll have 239 points available until June 2012 (though I guess we could always bank the 2011 points if they don't get used....). Does that make more sense? Whenever I start thinking about all of this, it boggles my mind I'll send you a pm as well! Thanks!

And thanks so much to everybody with the information and suggestions. I'm sure the more we "play around" with our points, the more comfortable I'll be with it all!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

Where is your home resort? We are looking to rent points from someone (we've rented 4xs in the past) for our trip in January 2012 for Boardwalk. Hoping to book this week at the 11 month mark.

Someone sent me a written contract in relation to points I was going to rent but we didn't end up needing them after all. I could send you a copy of the contract to help you.
    Melissa

Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by momof3lovebugs View Post
    I am no help and not a dvc member but am interested in how this works for near future reference! March, to be exact!!
    Me too! We love Disnay and try to go at least once a year for anywhere from 7- 18 days! We ususally book at PORut I think a vacation club stay would be fun... someone, please let us know how it works
    Thanks
    Thanks bs4free!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
    Where is your home resort? We are looking to rent points from someone (we've rented 4xs in the past) for our trip in January 2012 for Boardwalk. Hoping to book this week at the 11 month mark.

Someone sent me a written contract in relation to points I was going to rent but we didn't end up needing them after all. I could send you a copy of the contract to help you.
    Our home resort is AKL, so unfortunately we couldn't book BW for those dates for a while. If you could forward me the copy of that contract, that would be great! I'm hoping to be able to rent to someone I "know" so maybe it won't have to be so official, but we'll see! Thanks!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards