Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of mineral makeup do you use?

Default What kind of mineral makeup do you use?

I would really like to try mineral makeup. I currently use liquid foundation. I just find it too heavy on my face(and it is starting to cause breakouts). I have seen a ton of different kinds...bare escentuals, everyday minerals, simply karen, Pur, sheer cover...etc. I don't want to invest a lot of money in it if it isn't something I will like. Like the bare escentuals starter kit is $60. Do you really use all the stuff that comes in the kit? What would you recommend? What brand do you use? Do you like it? What tips can you give to a newbie? One thing I am concerned with is getting the wrong color? Have you had problems finding the right color for your skin?

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

I've used BE but it can be a bit messy and expensive. Right now I'm using a Mineral Foundation in a compact form by Physicians Formula which you can get at Walmart or similar stores. Another good one to try but a bit more expensive in the $35 range, is Philosophy, it comes in a jar with a sponge applicator and is very easy to use, not too many colors to choose though. I'm really happy with the PF right now and it's not expensive at all in case it doesn't work for you. One thing I would suggest is if you go with the PF compact one, is get a better foundation brush like a Kabuki style, it will work out much better with the application.
    Last edited by PSL1013; 01-16-2008 at 05:24 PM.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

I'm a little confused on all this too. I don't wear foundation, but I find at times that i dress up it would be nice to have my skin looking all smooth and fresh. What is the big deal about the mineral makeup, why is it better. So many people have said it is hard to use, why is that?
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

I like BE and EM. I mix the two based on price. It is hard to get used to because your application is different. With minerals, you apply a very very small amount at a time and blend in a circular motion for a bit of time before possibly adding a second application. It doesn't take much. With liquid you cover your whole face and the application is much heavier/thicker. So when you first get a mineral product you instinctivly put it on tho thick and therefore do not like it. It takes time and practice to retrain yourself to apply it correctly.
    It is also hard to get the right amount out when you get the sample sizes. IT spills all over or goes on to thick. I did not like the sample sizes until I got the full size jars because I could use the lid from the full size and adjust the amount I got out.
    I love it but it took awhile for me to understand how to use it with out looking like a powder puff!
    Sunshine RewardsShirley

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinecindy View Post
    I'm a little confused on all this too. I don't wear foundation, but I find at times that i dress up it would be nice to have my skin looking all smooth and fresh. What is the big deal about the mineral makeup, why is it better. So many people have said it is hard to use, why is that?
    Some of the brands are a bit messy because it is loose powder and it flies all over the place, especially in the sink. It is better for your skin because it is all natural with no artificial gloppy stuff like what is in liquid, it won't clog your pores like liquid can...they say you can even sleep with it but I never do that! I have found that the Physicians Formula that is in the compact is less messy because it is in solid compact form and it covers what I need it to. HTH
    Last edited by PSL1013; 01-16-2008 at 05:24 PM.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

The absolute best mineral makeup I have ever used is from Southern Magnolia Minerals. It is also WAAAAY less expensive than PF or BE. Many mineral makeups have talc...a no no. I only use natural and organic stuff on my face. Also, you can order a sample kit with lots of small containers of colors to try before getting the large size. Great eye shadows, too

They also sell the shaker containers so you don't have the mess dealing with the samples.

You can buy this from Ebay and receive SR credit.
    Last edited by m 'n c; 01-16-2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: violation of forum rules by posting competitor websites.
    Sunshine Rewards

Royal Pacific 03/09 then back to Disney 12/09 with the help of SR!

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    I've used BE but it can be a bit messy and expensive. Right now I'm using a Mineral Foundation in a compact form by Physicians Formula which you can get at Walmart or similar stores.
    Pam
    Oh. That sounds like a good one. It certainly satisfies the "I want it....and I want it now" in me.

Quote Originally Posted by docsmom View Post
    The absolute best mineral makeup I have ever used is from Southern Magnolia Minerals. It is also WAAAAY less expensive than PF or BE. Many mineral makeups have talc...a no no. I only use natural and organic stuff on my face. Also, you can order a sample kit with lots of small containers of colors to try before getting the large size. Great eye shadows, too

They also sell the shaker containers so you don't have the mess dealing with the samples.

Here is a link to SMM website...but, to get SR credit, buy from them through eBay!

http://www.smmcosmetics.com/
    Wow! Great idea. I had heard about the talc thing. But, I never would have thought about ebay as a place to buy makeup. Who knew? Thanks for the tips!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinecindy View Post
    I LOVE Everyday Minerals. I wish they would start an affiliate program, because I would LOVE it even more if I could order through SR!

It took me a little bit to be hooked on it though. I decided to try it because I have very sensitive, very light skin. I was finding that with the liquid makeups I would get "lines" and by mid day, I would have to re-apply powder to cover the shine on my forehead (and I have relatively dry skin). Then with all the extra powder my skin would end up dry and flaky. Not good! I ordered the sample set from EM, and I didn't like it and gave up after a couple of applications because I considered it too messy and difficult to apply. Then a couple of months before our July Disney trip I decided to give it another shot. I wanted to be able to wear makeup while at Disney to look good in the pictures, but not look drippy in the humidity, and not feel like I had to powder up to cover all the sweaty shine. So I gave it another shot, and I was hooked. I think what hooked me first was that I could apply in the AM and be good to go for the day. On a very humid day, maybe a quick brush over with the finishing dust mid-day and I was fine. No lines showing through the day either. But what finally sold me was that after a couple weeks of using it, my skin started to clear up (I have rosacea). I even stopped using my prescription after a few months of using the minersl makeup. Even if I forget to remove my makeup before going to bed my skin does not break out, and I never ever feel like I am wearing a "mask" like some foundations feel like. I am a total convert to mineral makeup, and now that I have gotten used to it, it is quicker to apply than regular makeup was for me.

So that's my story, for what it's worth. I love the stuff.

So what are you waiting for EM....start an affiliate program already!!!!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by speechteachri View Post
    It took me a little bit to be hooked on it though. I decided to try it because I have very sensitive, very light skin. I was finding that with the liquid makeups I would get "lines" and by mid day, I would have to re-apply powder to cover the shine on my forehead (and I have relatively dry skin). Then with all the extra powder my skin would end up dry and flaky.
    Wow Leslie! That is exactly the problems I am experiencing with my current foundation. I can't wait to get my sample kit now and play around with it.

BTW...I did find some EM on ebay. I didn't really look to see if the prices were comparable to the EM website. But, it looks like(for now) the only way to get SR credit.

i use everyday minerals and love it, I've tried a few others, but they don't seem to cover as well.