Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping with gift cards

Default Shopping with gift cards

I'm a little confused. My MIL just gave me a Barnes and Noble gift card. If I shop through the SR link and pay with the gift card, will I get SR credit? Some things seem to indicate no, and others yes.

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

It is truely just up to the merchant to whether they consider that a form of payment that is eligible for a % back. We really don't know until people report back if you can do it or not. Some merchants allow it without an issue other refuse to give payment to SR and others will do a % back on the cash in excess of the gift card.

I know that doesn't help much in your case but that might be why you are getting the yes and no answers.
    Sunshine Rewards

You are actually right...sometimes it is no and sometimes yes! It totally depends on the merchant. You can always try it. They won't get mad at us for it. We just might not get the credit. But you can usually at least combine them with any kind of sale that we have going on.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

I DO NOT understand the reasoning behind the policy of not giving credit if the sale is paid for with a gift card. Gift cards are supposed to be the same as cash. They are purchased with cash. I think it is WRONG and discrimination. Eventually I am guessing they will have to honor credit on purchases paid for with gift cards, like they had to drop the fees that they were going to charge if you did not use them within a certain time frame.

I can understand not giving credit for purchasing a gift card because you could get double credit that way if you got credit for buying the gift card and then credit for paying with the gift card. But they need to honor one or the other common sense says that they should honor a sale that is paid for (regardless of payment type cash, check credit card or gift card).

Gift cards make the business a fair amount of profit from people who lose them and those who don't use them. It is unfair to penalize people for using them.

It's sort of like the old policy of charging more when a payment was made with a credit card because of the fees involved for accepting credit cards but that was outlawed as the price of doing business.

So, I imagine once someone gets mad enough to make an issue of it. They will have to give credit even if you pay with a gift card.
    Thanks bs4free!
    Sunshine Rewards

I just shopped at B&N two weeks ago and used a gift card and got SR credit. Hope that helps.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by MdCaterer View Post
    I DO NOT understand the reasoning behind the policy of not giving credit if the sale is paid for with a gift card. Gift cards are supposed to be the same as cash. They are purchased with cash. I think it is WRONG and discrimination. Eventually I am guessing they will have to honor credit on purchases paid for with gift cards, like they had to drop the fees that they were going to charge if you did not use them within a certain time frame.

I can understand not giving credit for purchasing a gift card because you could get double credit that way if you got credit for buying the gift card and then credit for paying with the gift card. But they need to honor one or the other common sense says that they should honor a sale that is paid for (regardless of payment type cash, check credit card or gift card).

Gift cards make the business a fair amount of profit from people who lose them and those who don't use them. It is unfair to penalize people for using them.

It's sort of like the old policy of charging more when a payment was made with a credit card because of the fees involved for accepting credit cards but that was outlawed as the price of doing business.

So, I imagine once someone gets mad enough to make an issue of it. They will have to give credit even if you pay with a gift card.
    This is just my opion, and may or may not be the case, but i think why some merchants are not paying incentives (credits) for purchase with gift cards is becuase while they want you to think they are the same as cash they are not, becuase with cash you can spend it any where a gift card can only be spent at the store or (group/chain) for which it was purchased!

The merchants are giving you an incentive (credits) to do business with them they want your cash. But if you have a gift card they know at some point that money is going to be spent with them or if not its all profit so why pay incentives on money that can only be spent with the merchant in the first place.

Thats just how i see what they are thinking and makes sense.

While i am glad that some merchants do incentives (credits) on gift card use and i would like them all, I would not like to rock the boat too far that they stop incentivising (giving credits) at all!

Again just my little opion.
    -NOn DisBoards
    Next WDW: POP 09.04-14.08 & Free Dining
    Past WDW: 04.01, ASMO 07.05, 09.05, 09.06, 09.07.

Magical JenK is offline I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!

Quote Originally Posted by fourfoxesinpa View Post
    I just shopped at B&N two weeks ago and used a gift card and got SR credit. Hope that helps.
    And I shopped at B&N 2 weeks ago as well, used a gift card & did NOT get credit yet....I'm sure that doesn't help, but I'm giving it another week or so before I give up all hope!! :0)
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800

Well, maybe this will confuse things even more. The price of the book exceeded my gift card balance so I had to charge a couple of bucks on my credit card AND use the gift card. So, maybe that had something to do with it?
    Sunshine Rewards

cglaura is offline Am I the only one picturing the Brady Bunch

Quote Originally Posted by bs4free View Post
    This is just my opion, and may or may not be the case, but i think why some merchants are not paying incentives (credits) for purchase with gift cards is becuase while they want you to think they are the same as cash they are not, becuase with cash you can spend it any where a gift card can only be spent at the store or (group/chain) for which it was purchased!

The merchants are giving you an incentive (credits) to do business with them they want your cash. But if you have a gift card they know at some point that money is going to be spent with them or if not its all profit so why pay incentives on money that can only be spent with the merchant in the first place.

While i am glad that some merchants do incentives (credits) on gift card use and i would like them all, I would not like to rock the boat too far that they stop incentivising (giving credits) at all!

That makes alot of sense. Really, the whole purpose of giving a % back is for them to pursuade us to shop there instead of a competitor. If you have a gift card then they already have you.

Also, it may be hard to know if full price was paid for a gift card. My grocery store sells multiple merchants, and often have them discounted $5 off if you buy a certain amount of things. Like, buy $100 worth of groceries, get $5 off a Gap gift card.

I just used a Land's End gift card I rec'd for my birthday, so I'm waiting to see if they allow the credits.
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by bs4free View Post

I see your point and that makes sense but it still seems unfair as the advertising and marketing behind gift cards is that they are the same as cash.

I appreciate the incentives and would hate to see them go, but when you buy the merchandise how you pay for it should not be an issue.

The way I see it is accepting the gift cards same as cash is the cost of doing buiness same as with credit cards. Because the buyer has already committed to buying something from your store (by purchasing your gift cards) is NO REASON to punish them and say we will give you no incentives because we know you have to buy something from us because you already have our gift card. If that is the case I guarantee it will be the last gift card I buy from them. Again, this is JMHO
    Thanks bs4free!
    Sunshine Rewards