Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney Debit Card and Durbin Amendment

Default Disney Debit Card and Durbin Amendment

Got my letter from Chase today explaining that Chase is shutting down the Disney Debit card perks. Here's what I think about it:

Disney Rewards Debit and the Durbin Amendment
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I left you a comment!
    Sunshine Rewards

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

This is horrible news! Guess I'll be using my other card that rewards me with airline miles instead....Disney's loss because I won't be using their card anymore!

ok, so I re-read it and you are talking about a Disney debit card, I have a Disney credit card..is this the same or something different?
    Last edited by PSL1013; 04-15-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    This is horrible news! Guess I'll be using my other card that rewards me with airline miles instead....Disney's loss because I won't be using their card anymore!

ok, so I re-read it and you are talking about a Disney debit card, I have a Disney credit card..is this the same or something different?
    I had to read it twice too. It seems like it is different from the Visa card.
    Sunshine Rewards

Chase is discontinuing all Debit Card Rewards; credit cards will still have rewards. Love my Chase Rewards cards: Disney and Chase Freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by SCard View Post
    Chase is discontinuing all Debit Card Rewards; credit cards will still have rewards. Love my Chase Rewards cards: Disney and Chase Freedom.
    Oh thank goodness. Yeah, I went to the Disney Visa website and there are two different cards...I never knew that! It wouldn't be the end of the world if they got rid of the perks on the credit card but I would understand if they did. They never make a dime on me for having or using the card, yet they buy me two AP every year..so they are actually losing money on me.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

Oh thank goodness. Yeah, I went to the Disney Visa website and there are two different cards...I never knew that! It wouldn't be the end of the world if they got rid of the perks on the credit card but I would understand if they did. They never make a dime on me for having or using the card, yet they buy me two AP every year..so they are actually losing money on me.
    Why do you say that they aren't making a dime off of you?
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Love the Smurfs

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    Why do you say that they aren't making a dime off of you?
    I charge thousands on the card and pay it off every month, so I don't pay any interest at all, it doesn't cost anything to own the card and use it and then I cash out and purchase my AP with it...to me it's free money.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards

I charge thousands on the card and pay it off every month, so I don't pay any interest at all, it doesn't cost anything to own the card and use it and then I cash out and purchase my AP with it...to me it's free money.
    Ah....but that is the actual issue with the bill. Chase DOES make money off of you. Every time you swipe the card, Chase charges the merchant a transaction fee. Chase then splits that transaction fee with the card holder in the way of the Disney rewards (or whatever the rewards program is). At issue with this new legislation is that in the past, Chase could charge really high rates if someone used the Debit card as a Credit card. The new law is capping those transaction fees. So Chase would not be profiting as much off of each transaction.

The credit card rewards are definitely free money to the credit card holder if they pay off the balances every month. The question is whether merchants are increasing the price of what you buy because they have to pay those card transaction fees on every purchase. That's what Congress is debating.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Love the Smurfs

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    Ah....but that is the actual issue with the bill. Chase DOES make money off of you. Every time you swipe the card, Chase charges the merchant a transaction fee. Chase then splits that transaction fee with the card holder in the way of the Disney rewards (or whatever the rewards program is). At issue with this new legislation is that in the past, Chase could charge really high rates if someone used the Debit card as a Credit card. The new law is capping those transaction fees. So Chase would not be profiting as much off of each transaction.

The credit card rewards are definitely free money to the credit card holder if they pay off the balances every month. The question is whether merchants are increasing the price of what you buy because they have to pay those card transaction fees on every purchase. That's what Congress is debating.
    I realize that merchants have to pay a fee but I've haven't paid any higher prices at any stores because I choose to use my card vs. cash...I've seen gas stations that charge higher prices if you use a cc but then we don't purchase from them, it's only a few cents cheaper and we feel we get more back in the payment of points to use our card, if I paid with cash all the time I don't get anything. At least my Disney card is a credit card and it looks like that won't be changing for the moment anyway and I refuse to use Debit cards. When they start messing with my Disney card, then I will start changing my spending habits.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards