Thread: Tell me about car rentals....

Default Tell me about car rentals....

I'm in the market for a new car in a few months and thought that maybe renting a car for a few days might be good for me to gauge how well I like certain things, like a smaller engine. I'm planning a road trip down by my brother in July for a long weekend and that would probably be the best time to test it out. My car has no working air conditioning and a leather interior, which turns it into a furnace in the summer. Except...I've never rented a car online. In fact, I've only rented three times before -- twice when my car was being repaired from getting rear ended and once when it was stolen and totalled. What do I need to know? What's the best SR merchant to get the rental from? And will I be able to return it on July 4?

Thanks!

One other question....are there any good coupons from the Entertainment Book for 2011 that would make it a good idea to invest in one of those? I'm looking at having the rental for 3 days.
    Last edited by mmm611; 05-29-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

My one beef with rental cars is that they don't always "give" you the kind of car you want to rent. Example - I wanted to drive a VW bug on one of my business trips. Enterprise at that location has had them before so I thought no big deal. Well I was given a dodge caliber and wasn't allowed to exchange it or request before I even picked up the car what I wanted. Sometimes it is due to the location so make sure to pick a big location to pick up your car from - make sure the cars are on the lot and not on some off-site place and they drive them to the building for you (that is what I had with Enterprise in New Orleans).

Also before you rent you might want to check which brands are being rented and in what "class".

So as far as actually renting. I found the best deal was just naming my own price on Priceline. I ended up with a mid-size car from Hertz at 60% off. Pick up and drop off on my terms and at the location I wanted.
    Sunshine Rewards

We rent from exclusively from National. Join the Emerald Club free...from (Don't think I can post it here but I can send you the link) and you can go right to the lot to pick up the car, by passing the counter. When you get to the lot, all the cars are in a row and you can pick the one you want.

They do show you on the website the kind of cars (they may have several models) that are in the category that you pick, but you can't request a certain car.

I think it depends on the facility where you pick up the car. An airport def has more choices that a city location.

HTH
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Thanks to you both!

I went thru the Travel category the other night and priced everyone out. Enterprise came out to be the best deal and I have dealt with them before, when my old car was stolen. I'm debating whether I should try to return it after hours on the 4th or just wait till the following day and send it back.

Kathie, I checked out National online, but it looks like they'd be more expensive for me. Thanks though!

I'm still on the fence about renting and might give it until a few days before so I can get a weather report first and find out how hot it's supposed to be that weekend. I'm also debating renting online and just cancelling if I cahnge my mind.
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by mmm611 View Post
    Thanks to you both!

I went thru the Travel category the other night and priced everyone out. Enterprise came out to be the best deal and I have dealt with them before, when my old car was stolen. I'm debating whether I should try to return it after hours on the 4th or just wait till the following day and send it back.

Kathie, I checked out National online, but it looks like they'd be more expensive for me. Thanks though!

I'm still on the fence about renting and might give it until a few days before so I can get a weather report first and find out how hot it's supposed to be that weekend. I'm also debating renting online and just cancelling if I cahnge my mind.
    National is a great deal for me because of how often we rent. We're a VIP there so always get a great rate that we combine with Entertainment Book so always get a deal.

I have the EB coupons I'm not going to use. If you want them, let me know.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards