Thread: Italy phones?

Default Italy phones?

Hello All,
    My mom is going to Italy in April. Any experience on what's a good way to keep in touch? I think her Verizon (non-GSM) phone wouldn't work, but should we get phone cards? Any suggestions?
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

I believe Nextel has Europe capabilities, but don't quote me on that. When I've gone to Europe, I just found an internet cafe to e-mail to keep in touch, but I've never gone more than 2 weeks at a time.
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

Phone cards was how most people kept in touch when I was there. She can talk to her phone provider as some of them can provide the right kind of card to make it workable. Not sure what the cost of that would be though.

Usually when I'm away, I keep in touch with email as it eliminates the pesky time change issues.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by bbangel View Post
    Phone cards was how most people kept in touch when I was there. She can talk to her phone provider as some of them can provide the right kind of card to make it workable. Not sure what the cost of that would be though.

Usually when I'm away, I keep in touch with email as it eliminates the pesky time change issues.
    She had my dad had net issues in Paris, so I think she'll prefer a phone card.

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

You can get an AT&T phone card at walmart/cvs/etc that will work but you have to call them before going over there to get the access numbers and codes. Its what my parents did when my dad left for belgium. Most Verizon phones don't work in Europe (he asked before leaving).
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
    Hello All,
    My mom is going to Italy in April. Any experience on what's a good way to keep in touch? I think her Verizon (non-GSM) phone wouldn't work, but should we get phone cards? Any suggestions?
    Don't cringe, but I have an update. Verizon now has a program where you can rent a global phone, and keep your cell #. It works for both GSM and CDMA. Mom just got one for her trip to Scotland. For $4.99 a month (and you can get it prorated), you can call US numbers for $.99 a minute. She had a lot of trouble calling out in Italy, so we figured it would be worth a shot. Phone arrive yesterday-it's a RAZR slide, so she really needed to use her noodle to get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
    Don't cringe, but I have an update. Verizon now has a program where you can rent a global phone, and keep your cell #. It works for both GSM and CDMA. Mom just got one for her trip to Scotland. For $4.99 a month (and you can get it prorated), you can call US numbers for $.99 a minute. She had a lot of trouble calling out in Italy, so we figured it would be worth a shot. Phone arrive yesterday-it's a RAZR slide, so she really needed to use her noodle to get it to work.
    Glad you figured something out for your Mom Heather.

I would love to go to Italy sometime! Too bad I don't know the language....I wouldn't have ANY idea what they were talking about!!