Thread: Salmon

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Default Salmon

So I've never been a salmon fan - not even in sushi - but I wanted to share something cool. I was grocery shopping at HEB the other day and they had a salmon tester, a salad tester, and a chicken tester. Since all 3 were on the plate I figured I would taste the salmon for the sauce part. To my surprise the salmon was really good. When I asked the food demonstrator she told me there is Pacific Salmon which is what most of us see (the really pink one) and then there is Atlantic Salmon which is really mild. So I cooked some up tonight and it was really good.

So if you don't like Pacific salmon look for Atlantic salmon at the store.
    Sunshine Rewards

Interesting. I have never gotten into salmon either, but I do like a lot of other fish. I will have to give it a shot.

I'm the opposite I guess. I will only eat pacific salmon, but I guess living in Washington State, I'm biased Most Atlantic salmon you can buy in stores are farmed, not wild and they definitely taste different. Its interesting that you say Atlantic is milder, because I've always thought it was "fishier". I wonder if it has to do with how fresh it is? Like if you were on the East Coast, buying Pacific Salmon it might not be as fresh, therefore, fishier. And the opposite for us (Atlantic wouldn't be as fresh)

Only within the last couple of years have I started eating salmon. I used to HATE it cause i though it tasted so fishy. It wasn't until my daughter went fishing in Alaska with her grandparents and she brought back 5 big fresh salmon that she caught. That was the best tasting fish ever!!! Since then, I give salmon a chance. It also depends on how it is cooked. My favorite way is BBQ'd over a cedar plank, seasoned with salt, pepper, a little bit of brown sugar and lemon slices. The lemon seems to cut the fishy taste (if there is one) and the cedar plank gives it a fantastic smoked flavor.

By far, the BEST salmon is Copper River salmon. It is only harvested one time in the late spring from the Copper River in Alaska. I'm not sure how many stores in the east get it, but here all the major stores have it flown in every week during harvest. DELICIOUS!! I also have read that Artist's Point at Disney's Wilderness Lodge has it flown in during the season and is one of the only restaurants in Florida that serves Copper River.
    http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-river-salmon/

Since I have started eating salmon, I see that us on the west coast are spoiled with the quality available here. I tried salmon on the Disney Magic last fall while eating at Palo, and I was not impressed at all...and that was at the "gourmet" restaurant. Then a few months ago, after I finished my travel agent training, I took a tour of the Princess Cruise line where they fed us lunch in their main dining room. I ordered the salmon. I'm sitting on a ship in Seattle heading to Alaska...they better have good salmon. And they did not disappoint!

Wendy Hale
    Authorized Disney Vacation Planner Ask me about $50 onboard credit on all new Disney Cruise Line bookings and $25 Disney Gift Card for any Disney Resort Vacation bookings!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Affiliated with MouseEarVacations.com | Vacations By Wendy Facebook Page | Disney Travel Newsletter Sign-up
    Email me at WendyH@CrusingCo.com for no obligation quotes on Walt Disney World Vacations, Disney Cruise Line vacation, Adventures by Disney, Disneyland Resort vacations!!!

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

How funny! It is probably due to what is available and how people/restaurants prepare it. I'm always looking for new recipes so if you have any good salmon ones please share.
    Sunshine Rewards

Oh definitely depends on how its cooked and how fresh it is. I had halibut in Reno at a really nice restaurant, but it was obviously not fresh as it tasted fishy. I've never had a fishy halibut. My personal preference is I don't like fish that tastes like fish

Here is an easy salmon rub:

1 tbsp seasoning salt (johnnys, lawrys, etc)
    1/2 tbsp garlic powder
    Fresh ground pepper
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar

Sprinkle seasoning salt, pepper and garlic powder evenly over salmon
    Spread brown sugar over salmon by hand, coating completely with about 1/8 inch of sugar
    then top the whole salmon with slices of lemon

From here you can either grill on a cedar plank (gives it a nice smokey flavor)
    OR
    Place on foil and grill until it flakes easily with a fork. Doesn't have to be flipped if cooked slowly

Another GREAT salmon to cook with no recipe needed, do you have a Costco close? In the frozen fish section, they have marinated alaskan salmon fillets. Really good and all you have to do is thaw, put on foil and bake or grill.

Wendy Hale
    Authorized Disney Vacation Planner Ask me about $50 onboard credit on all new Disney Cruise Line bookings and $25 Disney Gift Card for any Disney Resort Vacation bookings!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Affiliated with MouseEarVacations.com | Vacations By Wendy Facebook Page | Disney Travel Newsletter Sign-up
    Email me at WendyH@CrusingCo.com for no obligation quotes on Walt Disney World Vacations, Disney Cruise Line vacation, Adventures by Disney, Disneyland Resort vacations!!!