Thread: Disneyland California Trip Report

Default Disneyland California Trip Report

Every year we have taken kiddo #2 to Disney World for her December birthday, but this year we opted for Disneyland in California.

We did manage to take her horse riding at Disney World in Florida in November at the Wilderness campground and she really liked that, but we didn't have time to hit the parks. This is a really good ride for inexperienced riders as the horses are easy going and the trail easy. It is pretty walking through the forest behind the cabins.

Back to the story. We opted to spend the day at California Adventure, as she hadn't been to this park since it first opened.

The park was so empty... it was fantastic. We hit soaring first as it was only a 10 minute wait and right near the entrance. We have always had to get fast passes for this one in Florida, so we were amazed. The ride seemed the same as the one in Florida. I like it.

We decided to skip the water ride as it was chilly and windy. Birthday girl wanted the big roller coaster. So off to California Screaming we went. I chickened out at last minute and went to take pictures. Disney really set this ride up right. You can get pictures of your loved ones at the start of the ride. The kids had fun and had to ride this a couple more times.

Then we went off to the ferris wheel. You get your choice of swinging/sliding cars or more stationary cars. We opted for the stationary car. The view from the top is fantastic. We also came back to this end of the park after dark, and the wheel is so pretty lit up. I had to have a picture in front of this all lit up.
    Faith
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Proud to be SR member #3129

My girls are tween/teens so we bypassed the bugs life area for the most part... but I did get them to let me walk through the area and see it. It is so cute. I could just imaging many MANY years from now taking a grandkid there. Sigh. kids grow up so fast.

We opted for a quick counter service lunch. My husband was happy with his spicy burger and the kids and I enjoyed chicken nuggets and fries.

We went to see Muppets 3D. Seemed about the same as the one in Florida. I love it!! We then went to the animation show and got to draw goofy. My older kiddo wants to be an animator for Disney, so she enjoyed this. There was also a neat section of interactive displays for dubbing voices, and drawing animation, that was fun.

They have a cute Monsters Inc ride here that I almost missed thinking it was like the show they have in Florida. This is a real ride though. Tells the Monster Inc story, very cute.

The teens wanted more excitement... so we went to Tower of Terror. It is a bit different in the line area than the Florida one, but the ride is basically the same. I'm guessing they watch you on camera during the ride, as at the end of the ride the operator was very mad that someone in our car was playing with loose change during the ride. Luckily I didn't get hit with any falling change.
    Faith

We then went on the little mermaid ride, and it to was cute in a peter pan ride kind of way.

The kiddos then needed more roller coasters so we all rode Goofy's sky school. I really liked this one, so we rode it a couple of times. Then we sent the girls to ride California Screaming roller coaster a few times while the adults relaxed.

Some of the rides in this area were closed... not sure if it was due to the light crowds or the wind. probably the wind.

Off we went to the bakery tour which only made us more hungry. I loved how they had a food court type of area here, so we could each get what we wanted for dinner. Asian food for my hubby and older kiddo, while birthday girl and I opted for soup in a bread bowl. - YUM!

A big portion of the park is blocked off as they are furiously working on the new cars area. They had a place where you could learn all about what was being done... but I decided I'd rather have a surprise, so we will be going back once the new area opens. It meant that they didn't have a train/tram running inside the park. I have a new appreciation for the trains inside of the parks, I had no idea how much they saved my feet.

It is now dark, and after a quick photo in front of the ferris wheel it is off to the TRON area. Not sure if they are doing this TRON stuff in all the parks as this was our first time seeing this.

There was a huge dance party with techno music in one area of the park called elecTRONica. It was so fun to see the teens strutting their stuff, but also some little ones on the dance floor showing off their moves. There was alot of interaction between the two age groups with the teens admiring the little ones and making space for them, and the little ones watching the teens and learning new dance moves.

There was a 3D tron movie in the muppets theater after hours... but it was just a long 3D trailer for the movie...I was disappointed, as I thought it would be something exclusive and special like the sign said.

The drinks are twice as expensive in this area at night. It is worth walking to another area to get a soda or beer. Learned this lesson the hard way as the prices weren't listed.

Flynn's Arcade opened up at night in this area, and it has all the old favorites I grew up with. I'm so glad they kept the price at a quarter a game. We all had fun in the arcade. They were running some kind of contest on the wii right outside the arcade, but we were too busy inside the arcade to pay much attention.

The girls danced and danced. It really was an awesome way to end the special day.
    Faith

I'm back... My girls want annual passes to go to ElecTRONica... and the girls have a few more birthdays to celebrate. I took a break from SR for a while... and now I feel stupid for doing so. Hopefully it will help me get a bunch of surveys since it has been a while since I've done any.

I'll be checking the forum for hints and tips on what has changed, and for motivation.

Thanks.
    Faith

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Sounds like everyone had a great time.

Earning more on SR would be a good New Years Resolution...in fact, I might make that mine See you around the forum!
    Kayla

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

Sounds like a great trip! Love the breadbowls!
    Sunshine Rewards

Sounds like y'all had a magical day. I have been to Disney World numerous times but we haven't made it to Disneyland yet. It's definitely on my to-do list. Thanks so much for sharing.
    LEA ANN

Sunshine Rewardswww.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker