Thread: Disneyland?

Default Disneyland?

Any tips on Disneyland or other Southern California attractions? Seriously considering a trip in May and I know nothing! TIA
    Fanofree

Sunshine Rewards

What do you want to know? I was an annual pass holder up until last summer and had the passes for three years. We live about 40 minutes away.

I could pretty much tell you anything you want to know. May is probably a good time to go but be prepared for May Gray - it gets foggy in May and June. Usually the sun shows up in the late morning/early afternoon.

Cars Land at California Adventure probably won't be open yet but there's still a lot to do.

Let me know what else you want to know and I'll try to help.
    Karn
    Sunshine Rewards

Member #4187

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

Something else to be aware of in May are the Grad parties that happen. They have changed the format a bit this year and no one is really sure what impact that is going to have on the parks. It isn't stopping me from going in May though!
    Sunshine Rewards

Just to start planning, there are a few ideas you'll need to switch based on what WDW vets are used to. First, it's okay and often preferable to stay off property. There are all sorts of hotel options immediately across the street on Harbor, and it will take you just minutes to walk to the parks. Second, forget the meal plan. They don't really offer a cost savings, and frankly I find them convoluted. DL is also much easier than WDW to plan on a few month's notice. Restaurant seatings can be reserved 60 days out, and park hours are only released about 6 weeks in advance.

If you do want to experience one of Disney's hotels, Grand Californian is a great choice. Or, Disneyland Hotel just underwent a refurb and has great looking rooms with magical touches.
    Kayla

Thanks everyone! We are looking at DL for maybe 4 days. We also want to do Universal, SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo. We'd like to at least see some of LA/Hollywood as I doubt I will ever go back to that area.

I played around on the DL sight and they have add-ons for most of the other attractions. 10 years ago, I would have rented a car. But, this old lady is a little leery of LA highways. Anyone do the packages with tickets and transportation to the other attractions? Do they leave early enough that you are not wasting your day? Is it a better deal to book as a package or individually? Or am I building the roads up to be worse then they are in my mind and I should just rent a car?

Gray May does not sound good - but I guess that will cut down on sunburn!

Favorite restaurants? I do vacation to eat you know!

And what are Grad parties? Are they closed events? Parks close early?

(And Kay ~ I assume you book DL packages? Any deals? )

Fanofree

Sunshine Rewards

Please don't fall into the tourist mistake of thinking that when it is overcast you can't get sunburned-you CAN and do! Worse usually than if sun is out b/c you are not prepared. A friend got blisters from the sunburn she received during "June Gloom". Word to the wise. Freeways are jank. No doubt about it but a necessary evil here in the land of a thousand tourists (okay, a million tourists) Grad night parties are when the park is closed off except to senior graduating classes of many high schools at a time. Went when I was a senior many, many moons ago......I would assume the park will close by 7 or 8 on those nights.
    Lots of great hotels right in the area that could save you money by not staying at a Disney property. We have stayed at the Park Vue and BW Stovalls and both are clean, comfy and walking distance (PV more so) to parks. Have stayed at a couple others that don't spring to mind right now. Paradise Pier is the cheapest Disney property and quite comfy and spacious. Grand Cal is gorgeous and spendy. Disney hotel is in between.
    good luck and have fun!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Heather
    Dreaming of our next trip......Nov 3-13, 2012!!

Quote Originally Posted by fanofree View Post
    Thanks everyone! We are looking at DL for maybe 4 days. We also want to do Universal, SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo. We'd like to at least see some of LA/Hollywood as I doubt I will ever go back to that area.

I played around on the DL sight and they have add-ons for most of the other attractions. 10 years ago, I would have rented a car. But, this old lady is a little leery of LA highways. Anyone do the packages with tickets and transportation to the other attractions? Do they leave early enough that you are not wasting your day? Is it a better deal to book as a package or individually? Or am I building the roads up to be worse then they are in my mind and I should just rent a car?

Splitting up your trip between Anaheim and San Diego might be a good option for you. I'm all for making a trip less stressful, and it not renting a car and using bus and shuttle transportation makes it easier, then do it. Some bus + tickets combos you might be better off booking individually, you'd just want to compare case by case. If you're going to move bases from Anaheim to San Diego, renting a car for that part might be a good idea.

On the other hand, if you'd rather keep it simple, you can also take bus tours to the San Diego attractions you want to do. You'd just spend more time in transit.

Yep, we do book Disneyland packages, both for Disney hotels and Good Neighbor. Right now there are no Disney hotel deals for May, but Good Neighbor deals pop up every now and again. The reservation system is down right now, but we can discuss some details via email if you want.
    Kayla

Quote Originally Posted by fanofree View Post

Have you checked out Viator? They have a Seaworld package with transport. I am debating a SoCal trip myself.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Thanks everyone. DD goaded me into not being a wimp and renting a car. (I can always tell Maggy, our GPS,to avoid highways!) Also, the arriving at parks at 11:00 in the morning or later with the shuttles goes against the grain.

I just thought of flying into San Diego and out of Los Angeles. That will cut down on travel times. I didn't check airfare as my vacation dates will not be approved until the beginning of March.

I'm about 95% sure I am going to buy a Super Grover Pass from Sesame Place. This will give me unlimited visits and preferred parking at all SeaWorlds and Busch Gardens through the end of 2012. As we have an October UIA/WDW trip planned, we can visit SeaWorld, maybe even take a day trip to Tampa. So, I just need tickets to the San Diego Zoo and a package deal to Disneyland. We might visit Universal in Hollywood, but it is not a must as we will go to the Orlando one in October, staying on site. (AP)

We would like to see some of Hollywood. I read something about a hop on hop off tour? Anyone know anything about it?

Any favorite restaurants? Kay, let me know if any deals pop up. I'd love to stay on site at Disneyland, but it not a must. (I'd rather eat good than have a swanky hotel room, as long as there are no bug!!
    Fanofree

Sunshine Rewards

There is now a room discount out for May dates for Disneyland hotels. Paradise Pier has the higher discount, but Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian are also discounted.
    Kayla