Thread: Broken ankle

Default Broken ankle

I broke my ankle a week ago, then got rid of my split and got the full blown cast today. While I was at the doctor, my brother picked up a flyer about something called Dry Cast. They do have a website.

http://www.drycast.com/

I checked Drugstore.com and they have a similar product.

I'm just wondering if anyone has actually tried something like this before and how you would manage to navigate the shower with a cast on your foot in the first place, when you're not supposed to be putting weight on that foot?
    Last edited by mmm611; 03-19-2012 at 09:25 PM.
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

Quote Originally Posted by mmm611 View Post
    I broke my ankle a week ago, then got rid of my split and got the full blown cast today. While I was at the doctor, my brother picked up a flyer about something called Dry Cast. They do have a website.

http://www.drycast.com/

I checked Drugstore.com and they have a similar product.

I'm just wondering if anyone has actually tried something like this before and how you would manage to navigate the shower with a cast on your foot in the first place, when you're not supposed to be putting weight on that foot?
    Oh, I'm so sorry about your broken ankle. I had the same problem and faced the same dilemma. I definitely recommend getting something to go over your cast while bathing.

It can be challenging trying to stand in a shower without putting weight on your broken extremity. If you have a tub, you might be better in there, with your leg hanging over the side. However, if your shower is small enough you might be able to balance yourself on the walls of the shower. The longer I had the fracture, the better my balance got. Are you able to toe touch, that is put your toe down without putting weight on it? If so, that can help somewhat.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best and a quick recovery. Good luck!
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

I do have a tub, but the problem is it's my right foot....if it was my left, it would be easier to keep it up in the air! The other part that would be really difficult with that is I have a really hard time pulling myself up if I sit on the floor. For some reason, my apartment does not have anything to hand onto in the tub/shower...I had to buy a mat to give myself traction after I turned it into a slip & slide one day!

I think I've been putting more weight on it yet than I should. I kept having to take a break and put my bad foot down to steady myself with crutches or the wheeled walker we were told to get and have me hop behind it. Today, someone at work brought in a knee walker for me. It is awesome!

Four more weeks till the next appt.....praying for good X-rays then so I can get a walking cast and drive myself again!

Sunshine Rewards

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

I do have a tub, but the problem is it's my right foot....if it was my left, it would be easier to keep it up in the air! The other part that would be really difficult with that is I have a really hard time pulling myself up if I sit on the floor. For some reason, my apartment does not have anything to hand onto in the tub/shower...I had to buy a mat to give myself traction after I turned it into a slip & slide one day!

I think I've been putting more weight on it yet than I should. I kept having to take a break and put my bad foot down to steady myself with crutches or the wheeled walker we were told to get and have me hop behind it. Today, someone at work brought in a knee walker for me. It is awesome!

Four more weeks till the next appt.....praying for good X-rays then so I can get a walking cast and drive myself again!
    How about one of those shower seats that you could sit on while taking a shower while the leg is resting on the edge of the tub. I've not had experience with anything broken thank goodness but my MIL could not stand in the shower so she used one of these seats. Just a thought. Good luck!
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

Thanks for the tips. I did get a shower seat and it was so nice the first day I was able to use it!

New question: Monday I go back to the doctor and it's the 8 week mark for my fracture. I am currently in a boot/walking cast and the only place I use crutches any more is outside in parking lots. I was told 2-3 weeks in the boot. Monday marks 3 weeks in that.

Does anybody know what comes next? My doctor didn't say and I forgot to ask.

Thanks!

Sunshine Rewards

I can't answer any of your questions, but I do hope you get better soon!
    Sunshine Rewards

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

Thanks for the tips. I did get a shower seat and it was so nice the first day I was able to use it!

New question: Monday I go back to the doctor and it's the 8 week mark for my fracture. I am currently in a boot/walking cast and the only place I use crutches any more is outside in parking lots. I was told 2-3 weeks in the boot. Monday marks 3 weeks in that.

Does anybody know what comes next? My doctor didn't say and I forgot to ask.

Thanks!
    Can only speak for what happened to me, but I was in a walking boot for 4 weeks, then it came off and I was able to walk around. No further need for crutches. I think it depends on how you are healing. Everyone is different. I didn't need physical therapy, but that could also be an option, I suppose. Congratulations on making it to this stage! Hope things go well.
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

Spring, did you have any other type of brace or anything after the boot?

I guess I should clarify that while I *use* the crutches in larger parking lots still, it's more for balance and confidence than anything else. I feel better with something to hang onto there. I never did master crutches because someone at work was able to loan me a little scooter called a knee walker.

At this point, I think I can deal with whatever else they decide, as long as they let me drive again! Since of course I messed up my right ankle, I am unable to go anywhere by myself and have needed a chauffeur the entire time for work and shopping. This is beyond old!

Sunshine Rewards

I guess the answer to what comes after the boot for me is.....NOTHING!!! No PT either! I feel a little bit shaky, but I'm soooooooooo glad to be driving myself again!

Sunshine Rewards