Thread: when outside companies ask to have you participate...

Default when outside companies ask to have you participate...

...do you? I have a chance to participate in a month long study and should receive a $50 amazon gift card or $50 check and if I do it for two months have the opp to make $150. Is this too good to be true or have any of you done this?
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Heather
    Dreaming of our next trip......Nov 3-13, 2012!!

I did one once on greeting cards and wrapping paper checked in every week for 2 months or so and got a $20 paypal payment. IMaybe someone else has completed the one you've been invited to participate in.
    Thanks bs4free!
    Sunshine Rewards

being an id theft victim, my dh is super paranoid about me giving out any info, and I understand this. I registered for this one b/c it sounds great-I can earn up to $50/month for up to 7 months for participating, BUT I do have to fill in a W-2 or wahtever b/c it will be income......WWYD??
    Heather

I think your income should be reported on a 1099-MISC, not a W-2. Technically, they only have to send that form if you make over $600 in the year. I have never had a survey asking me for that kind of information, so I'm not really sure.

I did do the greeting card and wrapping paper panels and I think it was a $25 GC I got for each of those....but neither said anything about tax forms.
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by mmm611 View Post
    I think your income should be reported on a 1099-MISC, not a W-2. Technically, they only have to send that form if you make over $600 in the year. I have never had a survey asking me for that kind of information, so I'm not really sure.

I did do the greeting card and wrapping paper panels and I think it was a $25 GC I got for each of those....but neither said anything about tax forms.
    It's a forecasting website. Man, it made my head SPIN just looking at the things they discuss!!
    Heather

I just got asked to give my info on a live sample about fragrance. I do give them my info. We'll see what happens next.

My DH participated in the greeting card and gift wrapping panels too. He received a $25 GC for each plus he won one of their monthly prize drawings and the prize was an iPad2.

Quote Originally Posted by momof3lovebugs View Post
    being an id theft victim, my dh is super paranoid about me giving out any info, and I understand this. I registered for this one b/c it sounds great-I can earn up to $50/month for up to 7 months for participating, BUT I do have to fill in a W-2 or wahtever b/c it will be income......WWYD??
    I agree, you get a 1099 if you earn over $600. It seems to me that 7 months at $50 is only $350. I probably would not fill out their info. Maybe you can "ggogle" the company name or the survey name and see what information pops up. Usually if these are scams someone online has already complained.....
    Thanks bs4free!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by MdCaterer View Post
    I agree, you get a 1099 if you earn over $600. It seems to me that 7 months at $50 is only $350. I probably would not fill out their info. Maybe you can "ggogle" the company name or the survey name and see what information pops up. Usually if these are scams someone online has already complained.....
    It doesn't appear to be a bogus company. It is through a University. I wish I could just name the company but isn't that against the rules here? It was thru gf that this opportunity popped up, but it is a forecasting company. In all reality, it is probably just WAY over my head. I had to take a math test to even apply!
    Heather