Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Half marathon training

Congrats!! I think the 5K is a huge milestone!!

You're doing great Kristen!! We all started somewhere. I hope you continue to run pain free!! I laughed when you said your husband would never do a "princess" themed race!! We are doing the Goofy challenge plus the 5k in January together. I think we are also going to do the Princess half. I did it alone last year but my husband says he'll run with me this time and he is going to let the kids pick out his "tutu"...this should be interesting!

Great job on the walking Tricia!! You are going to rock it!!!

I had a running accident 2 weeks ago and fell and broke my nose so it put a big halt in my training! I finally got the nerve to go out for 3 miles on Friday on a flat surface close to home and it went fine. It was just what I needed to get my confidence back up!! Saturday night we ran a 5k. My husband pushed our 4.5 year old in a stroller and I ran with our 8 year old. They finished way before us, but it was tons of fun! I slowed down to his pace but tried to push him a little and he did awesome!

We are on our way to Disney this week! Daniel and I are running the Halloween 5k, Arianna is doing a 400m run and Daniel is doing the Mickey 1 mile. Then my husband is doing the Tower of Terror 10 mile Saturday night. We're all excited about the weekend!!

Once we get back, I'm ready to jump right back into my training! We have a half marathon in November and another in December!
    Sunshine Rewards

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to update how my running has been going. I was doing really well...running every day for a week straight. I was following the 10K trainer but instead of three days a week, I was doing it every day. On Thursday, I decided to take a day off...big mistake! I couldn't get back on track and I missed 4 days in a row.

Today, I went out with a mission. I did week 5 day 1 (progression instead of regression) and I ended up going 2.52 miles in 32:27, a 12:52 pace. Not the greatest, but I am just glad that I was able to turn in a sub-13 minute pace after 4 days off.

I have to work tonight but tomorrow will be a big day for a run. The program tomorrow calls for (2) 3/4 mile runs separated by a 1/2 mile walk in the middle. I'm not too worried about the first 3/4 mile, it's the last 3/4 mile I'm worried about. The program calls for those segments to be completed in 8 minutes...that will be a challenge! But I think I can do it.

I post my progress on Facebook, but I'll continue to post updates here too. It really helps if I am "accountable" to someone. Oh, and it sounds like DH might be on board to run the Disney 1/2 Marathon in either 2014 or 2015. Guess who has to run with him though?

HOnestly Kristen, you are doing great! think of all the folks who never even get off the couch! Try to let the time go and just focus on finishing the race and finishing strong. There will be plenty of time to go for your next PR. I am doing the Wine and Dine half next month and am in NO way ready for it but I will be there nevertheless. I will run as much and far as my knees will allow and then I will power walk the rest. A medal is a medal, no matter how it is earned!!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Heather
    Dreaming of our next trip......Nov 3-13, 2012!!

Quote Originally Posted by momof3lovebugs View Post
    HOnestly Kristen, you are doing great! think of all the folks who never even get off the couch! Try to let the time go and just focus on finishing the race and finishing strong. There will be plenty of time to go for your next PR. I am doing the Wine and Dine half next month and am in NO way ready for it but I will be there nevertheless. I will run as much and far as my knees will allow and then I will power walk the rest. A medal is a medal, no matter how it is earned!!
    That's what I told my husband...I just want to participate and finish. To me, it is an event, not a race. Some friends at work suggested I run in a couple of local 5K events to "get prepared". I told them that it isn't really the idea of competition or the "race" that has me excited...it's the idea of completing that distance AT WALT DISNEY WORLD that gets my juices flowing. It has nothing at all to do with competition, or even speed for that matter. The only reason I even concern myself with a pace is because I wouldn't want to spend that much time, energy and MONEY into entering the event, only to get picked up by the "sweepers" because I couldn't keep up the pace.

I'm sitting here getting ready for today's workout, trying to map it out. First of all, it tells me to warm up with a brisk 5 minute walk...OK, no big deal. Then I am to jog 3/4 of a mile (or 8 minutes)...doable, but tough. Here's the kicker...walk 1/2 mile (or FIVE minutes!!!)...hang on....FIVE MINUTES for a 1/2 MILE???? That's "walking" a 10-minute mile pace!! I can't hardly RUN at that pace Ugh!! After that little "walk", I am to run another 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes) and then finish off with another 5 minute cool-down walk.

So, according to these times/distances, I should be completing 3 miles in 31 minutes. What I am going to do (since I do not have a GPS monitor to tell me my distances while I run) is walk 5 minutes, run 8, walk 5, run 8 and walk 5. Then, when I get home, I will map out my route and see how far I actually made it. It's usually a little extra time and distance because I always seem to end up about a block away from home when my program ends.

Well, I'm off to pound some pavement!

Default I'm Back!!!

First, my warm-up was about 0.3 miles in the 5-minutes...

...Then, I ran the ENTIRE 3/4 mile in just under the 8 minutes allotted (7:48)...

...I almost made the 1/2 mile in the 5-minute walk, but I started running at the 5-minute mark anyways...

...then, a problem...I had started my 3/4 miles (8 minute timer) when the song "Stronger" came on...about a minute into "Paradise City", I looked down and realized that my clock had paused with 5:24 remaining. I kept running and resumed the clock....

...but I *did* run the entire 3/4 mile...

My husband was walking the dog and intercepted me just as I was finishing the last part of the run. We walked the rest of the way home and hit the driveway right as the program ended.

I mapped it out and I finished 2.7 miles in 33:16...a 12:18 pace. I just can't believe that is correct, but according to the times of the songs (that were playing while the clock was paused), it should be pretty close. I had mapped out ahead of time how far the 3/4 mile intervals were so I know that I *did* actually run two segments of 3/4 miles each and that is a huge accomplishment for me.

I just looked at Week 5 Day 3...NOT HAPPENING! Somehow, I am supposed to go from two 3/4 mile runs with a 1/2 mile walk break to a 2.25 mile run with NO WALKING!! WTH??? Can't a girl just do a mile jog, .25 mile walk and then another mile jog??? It says it's a 30 minute program...5 minute warm up, 22 minute run for 2.25 miles then a 3 minute cool down. I think I will do the run a mile, walk a quarter, run a mile, drop in the lawn under the sprinkler route.

Kristen, 12.18 is a very acceptable pace! I used to run between a 9&10 minute mile with bursts of speed down to 7.5 on the downhill slopes. Until I injured my knee. Until the PT told me to take it easier and not push so hard so fast. I am a results girl though. I didn't like reining it in and so I injured myself and was not able to finish my run for the TinkerBell half, I had to walk the majority.
    This time, for wine and dine, I am going slower, not killing myself and hope to not be needing a wheelchair the next day. I hope to be able to run more and walk less. We shall see.
    Do what feels right to your body and do NOT push too hard.
    Congrats on coming this far!!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Heather
    Dreaming of our next trip......Nov 3-13, 2012!!

Great day on the road!! I guess running in the rain is motivating...and the new running clothes from Old Navy helped too. I went out with my DD9 who had her Razor scooter with her. I was going to do a 5-minute warm up walk and then try and run 22 minutes without stopping. Well, I ended up doing just that! I was a little bummed when I got home and mapped it out...my "long run" was only 1.87 miles. The reason I am so bummed is because I stopped running when I reached the end of the bike trail that I was running. I could've kept going that extra .13 if I would have known I was THAT close to finishing 2 miles. After I reached the end of the trail, I walked 6 minutes, jogged 4 minutes, walked another 3 minutes and then ran the rest of the way home in 2:45. All total, I went 3.36 miles in 41:37 (12:21 pace).

So while I was bummed that I was so close to running 2 miles straight, I am totally psyched with my overall time and distance AND the fact that 1.87 is BY FAR the longest I have ever run! Up until now, I have only been able to go one mile without stopping....and I only did that ONCE!

Default Here's my results from today...

Today's workout called for...
    ...5-minute warm-up walk...
    ...5-minute run...
    ...3-minute walk...
    ...8-minute run...
    ...3-minute walk...
    ...5-minute run...
    ...5-minute cool-down walk...
    ...34 minutes total...

So, I mapped out a route ahead of time and it was exactly correct! I crossed into my driveway as time expired. In 34 minutes, I went 2.84 miles which means I broke the 12-minute pace! Finished at an 11:57 pace. I know I could do better because I felt terrible during this run. I constantly felt winded and I felt like I was pulling a piano while wearing concrete shoes. I never had any pain or discomfort...just an overall sluggish feeling. But the important thing is that I did it.