Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overwhelmed.....

I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. I had several CT scans last year and now have them every 3 months, only I have to drink the 'cocktail' all in the hour before my scan, not the night before. The first time, the hospital mixed the contrast drink with Crystal Light, and I had trouble getting it all down. So now I take my own drink for them to mix it with. I use Propel - grape or black cherry - and it makes so much difference in how it tastes. I mostly just taste the Propel. Check with the radiology dept, but I was told that I could use any clear liquid. You also might want to keep some Imodium on hand (though that is not a side effect for everyone).
    Last edited by MamaO; 06-25-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Jeanne - happily residing in Wisconsin Badger country

Prayers go out to you.

I've dealt with a lot of breast cancer amongst my family and friends, but never myself. Thus, it is a cause that is REALLY close to my heart. I have no real advice except to make sure that you are comfortable with your treatment options. If not, definitely get second or even third opinions. Hopefully you have doctors that you really trust but never let them make you second guess yourself. It is YOUR body.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do...even if it is just prayers. I've seen the power of the prayers of the Sunshine Mafia!!

Thank you all so much for your support! Cancer WILL NOT beat me!!! I've decided that I can turn all negatives around. If I have to have chemo and will lose my hair, I'm donating my hair to Locks of Love before before treatment. They are an organization that takes donated hair and makes wigs for kids who've lost their hair. If it thinks it's getting my breasts, go for it! I'll just have reconstruction surgery and be the size I want!

My Dad has severe kidney issues and congestive failure. His doctors are giving him days to weeks....... Life without my Daddy scares me way more than cancer. There is really no comparison. I'm not sure if my diagnosis just hasn't sunk in yet or if I'm really ok with it. I can say I have breast cancer very matter of factly. It's just like saying I have a headache. I'm asking everyone to keep me accountable with my treatment. When my Dad passes, I might need to reschedule surgery or treatment depending on when.....I want 1 week to take care of whatever needs to be taken care of.
    Dad's funeral, out-of-town guests, etc. After 1 week, I promise to pick up where I left off. I want everyone to make me keep my promise so I CAN beat this!!!

You have a good spirit

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. That is a lot to handle at one time and I hope everything stays manageable for you.

We'll keep praying for you and your dad.
    Kayla

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I have an old neighbor battling Stage 4 breast cancer. It is especially crazy because she is a nurse in that department at the hospital she works at and she missed it and her coworkers missed it when she would complain about something not feeling right. Anywho she has the same attitude that you do and is fighting it as we speak.

My grandmother went through uterine cancer so not the same but I remember what she went though. A few things: check with your local cancer society. There are a lot of services and equipment that they give away for free if you need it. For example, they gave her free Boost drinks (think ensure) to help keep her energy up and other vitals. There were also free recipes (focus on replacing nutrients you lose in chemo), free walkers, free wheelchairs, etc. Just go when you feel you need to.

Also, she found that the week after her chemo treatment (she had it once a month on a sunday), she was at the lowest energy and would have a metal taste in her mouth. So my mother and I would make her favorite recipe about 2 days later for her and she would really perk up. You might want to mention that to someone. Also, to combat the metal taste, we made sure to use only fresh, frozen, or jarred ingredients so she wouldn't have that strong metal taste.

She didn't really go the route of a wig because it was just too hot for her but she loved hats. You should go pick out some pretty hats to wear on days when you don't want to fool with hair (then again you might not lose it).

Message me anytime you feel like you need to talk.
    Sunshine Rewards

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer about 5 years ago. She's been all clear for a few years now and I know for her a positive attitude helped so much, which it seems like you have! Of course there are always better days than others, but I wish you the best with everything! You are not alone and you can do this!!!
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

Oh my goodness, i'm so sorry. I don't know much about it, but do know that my grandmother had a double mastectomy 20 years ago and has been doing amazing! She's living life to the fullest every day. I too agree, that having a positive outlook will really help you!

I got a call from the Radiology department today. The pelvic/stomach CAT Scan came back clear. The MRI is a different story. They found a lump in the other (right) breast. This one is about 1 centimeter..... OH MY GOD.....
    The only way to know for sure is another biopsy.....my bruising isn't gone from the first one on the other side yet.....I just want it out NOW.....please do a double mastectomy and be done with it.....now really sure about it, it's just how I feel at this second in time..... I have an ultrasound core biopsy scheduled for 11:00 with the surgeon, meet the Oncologist for the first time at 1:00, and my yearly pap with the Gyn at 2:30 all on Monday. Everything is in the same hospital on the same floor. The first result of cancer 6 days ago felt like a kick in the chest, this phone call today..... I'm numb, I think. I'm so shocked, I can't even cry. Inside of my head, a very different story, screaming, I can't really even respond to my fiance. I could really use the Sunshine Mafia. Thank you for everything! This is the one place that I can post exactly what I'm thinking and feeling, very grateful.

First, let me say, I'm so sorry that you have been dealt this hand. I don't know much about BC personally, but I do know a great deal about being a cancer survivor! I've been a cancer patient since 02/02/2000, and it's been one heck of a ride! I will be on some type of chemo for the duration of my life. Which I plan on living at least until i'm a 103. I'm enjoying life one day at a time.

Second, allow yourself to feel whatever emotion you are feeling at that particular time. It's a lot to absorb. Always take someone with you to the doctors, as the more the drs. talk the less you hear. I found it to be just way too much to process. All I could ever think about was: I don't belong here. So always have a second set of ears with you.

I find it extremely helpful to not dwell on it because I know that it could be worse. In my case, I'm just so thankful that it's me with cancer and not one of my children or my husband.

When things settle down try a new hobby to keep your mind off of the issue at hand. And remember everyone's situation is different.

Please know that you've definitely got a strong group of praying and supportive women here on SR. They've got me through a lot of rough days!

I could go on and on but just know that I will definitely keep you in my prayers and if you ever need to talk feel free to PM me anytime. And this too shall pass.
    Sunshine Rewards