Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruising out of Baltimore MD ????????

Default Cruising out of Baltimore MD ????????

I have been a loyal Disney Cruise Line fan but I have a friend who cruised with us in July last year on the Fantasy and it was wonderful!!! She wants to go again this year (she + 3 children 14- 16) and she is looking at Carnival and Royal Caribbean out of Baltimore. I have one son 14 this summer, can any SR members give me some advice on cruising with either of these. None of the adults are drinkers and I tend to think of Carinval as a "young party boat" I have sailed on RC 15 and 20 years ago and I was impressed with their boats but I did not have a child back then. Any and all advice - suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Looks like the RC ships would be Graduer or Enchanment of the Seas and the Carnival would be the Pride

Thanks!!
    Last edited by MdCaterer; 11-04-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    Thanks bs4free!
    Sunshine Rewards

I've only cruised DCL, so my observations come from a similar place as yours. I've always viewed Carnival as more of a young singles party ship. I don't know much of that is perception vs truth. Like with DCL I know many people without kids are scared of it, but for us, our encounters with kids while cruising were similar to every day life.

Are the itineraries similar enough that one doesn't win out over the other? It seems RC seems to be the second favorite among DCL cruisers.
    Kayla

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Went on my first Carnival cruise last October and I absolutely loved it. It was a Med. cruise on the new Magic and I didn't think it was a party type ship at all, I think that was in years past when they got that reputation. This was a new ship so the balcony rooms where a bit bigger than on other cruise lines. I would definitely go on Carnival again without any hesitation. Now on the other hand, RC would be my last choice but only because they won't let you bring wine on board and this is a necessity for me!
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

Thanks for the input! Kayla, the difference is sailing out of Baltimore vs driving to FL (which is a moot point for us becuase we always go 10 - 14 days early and visit the happiest place on earth!!!) My friend does not do that, so she has the added cost of flights (for 4), so we could cruise from Baltimore 3 hours away from home and go on either the Carnival Pride to Bermuda (one stop in King's Wharf for 2 -3 days) or the Bahamas (Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay & Freeport) or RCCL to Bahamas or Bermuda on the Granduer of the Seas (I cruised on that ship 15 years ago and it was lovely but back then no child!) I am amazed to say that the savings I would have cruising on the Carnival (older ship) in June vs the DCL Fantasy in August is only $725 and when you factor in my $250 shipboard credit it makes the difference only $475. We sailed the Fantasy last year and LOVED IT so I think we are going to stick with the Fantasy!!!

Pam I am glad to hear that you loved the Carnival cruise that gives me hope for my frined to have a great time. I am thinking for the minimal price difference I want to take the cruise I know will be awesome!
    Last edited by MdCaterer; 11-09-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    Thanks bs4free!
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    Went on my first Carnival cruise last October and I absolutely loved it. It was a Med. cruise on the new Magic and I didn't think it was a party type ship at all, I think that was in years past when they got that reputation. This was a new ship so the balcony rooms where a bit bigger than on other cruise lines. I would definitely go on Carnival again without any hesitation. Now on the other hand, RC would be my last choice but only because they won't let you bring wine on board and this is a necessity for me!
    That has since changed! You can bring 2 bottles of wine on board per cabin (but really how will they know if you have 2 in your carryon and 2 in your checked bags).
    Sunshine Rewards

I love cruising with Carnival. I've never seen any craziness or wild party behavior that Carnival is known for. I have read reviews from others that you will find a younger and more "party" crowd on the 3 day cruises to nowhere as they are inexpensive for the young college kids. I have heard great things about the Pride and I'm considering booking it for my next trip.

By the way, my favorite port is Half Moon Cay....AMAZING!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

So which one did you book and have you gone yet?
    Sunshine Rewards

We decided because the price difference was so small we were going to stay on the Fantasy. My friend was going to cruise out of Baltimore with another couple. They have since backed out.

Now we are considering a trip to Atlantis in the Bahamas. Anyone done that?
    Thanks bs4free!
    Sunshine Rewards

Wink

Will you do Atlantis while on your Nassua day with the Fantasy??
    That's a nice choice...although I have been to Nassua so many times, that now, when we are on DCL and dock in Nassua I remain onboard to enjoy the ship! But Atlantis is a great day trip over and the children will love it! (so will you!!)

But there are some great shore excursions in Nassua...have you looked into a Dolphin swim there with the children? I'm sure they'd love that also!!

Let me know if I can help you out at all.
    deb
    I'M DEB And I'm Making My Way Back To Disney..With Sunshine Rewards...One Click At A Time!

Deb Tokarski -Mouse World Travel, An Authorized Disney Vacation Planner

Booking Disney Destinations (Disney World, DisneyLand, Disney Cruises & Adventures by Disney)
    as well as Sandals & Beaches Resorts and other destinations & other cruise lines worldwide!!

For more information and a free no-obligation quote email me at: deb@mouseworldtravel.com
    You can also Friend me on Facebook--> Deb Tee
    Your Dreams are a Wish Away with ME and I am ready to help you find your Dream Vacation!!

We went to Atlantis when we were in port. We had a really nice time but one day was plenty for us. Very crowded and we were the only cruise ship in port that day. I can't imagine what it would be like on days when there are several ships there. Some of the big water slides had a few hours wait and the main lazy river was packed to the max! By the end of the day we found a really nice pool with a smaller lazy river that didn't have a lot of people which we enjoyed much better. We wished we would have found it sooner but the resort is so big, we barely had a chance to see most of it in the one day we were there! The food is very expensive.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards