Thread: Help with ideas for presents for foster kids

Default Help with ideas for presents for foster kids

Not sure if this is the right place - but I could really use the help of some of the parents here.

I don't have any kids but am sponsoring 5 foster kids for Christmas and buying them each 3 gifts from their wish list. Some are easy and really specific (ex. Baby Alive), but there is an 11 year old girl and a 12 year old boy (siblings) and the three items they each asked for are: a winter coat, a toy, and a book. Help!

If you have children around that age could you please help me with what toys and books an 11 year old girl and 12 year old boy would enjoy (they really aren't asking for much so I'm okay with a nice toy but it needs to stand alone since I don't know what else they have).

Thanks in advance!!!
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

Legos and K'nex or something similar might be good for the boy. For the girl....someone else may have a better idea, but all I can think of is maybe a board game of some kind.

I don't have kids though either--this is what my brothers liked around then, besides video games!
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by mmm611 View Post
    Legos and K'nex or something similar might be good for the boy. For the girl....someone else may have a better idea, but all I can think of is maybe a board game of some kind.

I don't have kids though either--this is what my brothers liked around then, besides video games!
    Thank you - I will definitely check out Legos or K'nex for the boy. Would love any other ideas people have for toys and books.

We sponsored a boy that age for Christmas last year and he wanted sports stuff. We got him a basketball, but I suppose that might not be the best choice if he doesn't have anywhere to go shoot it (maybe there's a park near him?). The girl could be tough. That age some girls are so much more grown up than others.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

My daughter is almost 11. She is not a girly girl and most of her toys are things like Legos.

Someone suggested board games, that is a great idea. Life seems to be popular again. Not necessarily a toy, but my daughter also likes jewelry and such from Justice and Bath & Body Works lotions and shower gels.

Edited to add after asking my daughter - Jewelry making kits, art/paint kits, scrapbooking items, journal, and for books, Hunger Game series.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Rockchalker; 11-11-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Thank you all so much for the ideas - including asking your kids! This is a great start that will really help me shopping, not having children I had no idea what was cool with 11 and 12 year olds now.

I would recommend the City of Ember series of books rather than the Hunger Games. Similar theme, but a little bit easier to handle. the Hunger Games series, while a good series, I prefer for older teens. But that's just my opinion. The City of Ember books are good for either boy or girl.
    Gail Carson Levine is another great author for that age girl. Ella Enchanted and The Two Princesses of Bamarre are two excellent books.

My 15 y-o daughter suggested the following (other than the books): nail polish, jewelry, crafts, scarves, headbands, Apples to Apples board game.

Whatever you get, you will be making their holidays a little bit brighter.

Sunshine Rewards

Thank you all so much for your suggestions - they were all so helpful. I wanted to follow up to let you know what we decided:

For the 12 year old boy:
    - Winter coat (on his wish list)
    - Books: Guinness Book of World Records 2013, The Hobbit, and Calvin and Hobbes: It's a Magical World
    - Toy: K'nex Double Shot Roller Coaster

For the 11 year old girl:
    - Winter coat (on her wish list)
    - Books: Kate DiCamillo Boxed Collection (Because of Winn Dixie, Desperaux etc), MindWare Color Counts Landscapes with colored pencils, and The Happiness Project 5 year journal (with Smencils)
    - Toy: Bop It XT and American Girl Crafts Mirror Message Board Kit

I hope they enjoy the gifts!