Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DVC - yet another rental question....

WOW! I was looking at your numbers and realized how nice staying in off season is. We are getting a 2 bedroom at SSR in January for about the same as a 1 bedroom in summer! EEK!
    <Sunshine Rewards

Just popping in to say that we have rented points twice, once through the Dis and then earlier this month I rented through LauraLea on SR

Wonderful experiences both times, and very nice to go through a SR member that I knew I could trust.

We stayed at OKW the first time - it was fine, nice to have the extra room and amenities that the values do not offer.

This time we did the Saturday night arrival at Pop and then switched over to SSR for the next two nights. Cannot even say how much less crowded, nicer, and more beautiful SSR was!!! We absolutely loved it! There was nothing better than making fresh coffee in the room and enjoying it out on our balcony overlooking the pond - made the trip so much more relaxing and enjoyable for us!!

I wish DVC offered better values for larger families but alas for us it is much cheaper to stay in two value rooms instead of getting a 2 bedroom or renting two studios.

Good luck with planning your trip Angela!!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonfamily4 View Post
    WOW! I was looking at your numbers and realized how nice staying in off season is. We are getting a 2 bedroom at SSR in January for about the same as a 1 bedroom in summer! EEK!
    Yeah....gets pretty pricey - and that is trying to be as cheap as possible! I really hope that we stick to our guns and NOT do POR again. We like the resort, but DH especially wants something different. Not a whole lot of options for families of 5 that is very affordable to a regular blue collar family!

I about choked when I saw Missymouse's numbers for 2 value room! ACK! Now that does not include our AAA discount. But on top of that, figure 5 10 day passes AND flights AND food....sometimes I wish I did not like WDW as much as I do! LOL It doesn't help that WDW looks at 10 year olds as adult too! I only have 1 more year for a child ticket. Then we will have 5 Disney adults!

Okay....where is that DVC YOAMD prize that I am supposed to win! It would be nice to have that right about now. These numbers are killing me! LOL
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards

If I were doing it for 10 nights and really wanted to rent points and stay in larger digs I think I would arrive on I would arrive on Wed. and stay W-Sat. nights at a value getting 2 rooms so use July 4th time frame Value would be $ 1200 move to any DVC for Sun-Fri night

OKW would be 164 points or $1640 for a total of $2840
    SSR would be 189 points or $1890 for a total of $3090
    AKV if you could get standard 175 points or $1750 would be total of $ 2950
    AKV Savannah (more likely)209 points or $2090 would be $3290
    Wilderness Lodge would be 210 points or $2100 for a total of $3300
    Or if you could shave off one night and do 9 nights it would decrease your cost to the following

Value/OKW $2300
    Value/SSR $2550
    Value/AKV standard $2590
    Value/AKV Savannah $2700
    Value/Wilderness $2700

Here is my thinking you could pack clothes for the first 4-5 days then you would have laundry facilities for the remainder of the trip,.
    Sunshine Rewards

Hi Angela.....

You know how I feel about DVC...and you know that I don't own, but I always rent.........and yes the girls and I do switch (although not for our upcoming trip which is a long weekend, points were 'given' to me by one of my tutoree's parent...and my sister and I are splitting cost for one of the nights)..........

the biggest thing is staying at DVC Sunday and check out on Friday, you could technically then switch for friday and saturday night to a value, and then again go to a DVC for the next 3 days (that could be on the beginning part or end of your stay.......) Disney makes it very easy to switch......they transport all of your luggage/stuff.....you just need to be in the room when they pick it up........we usually end up doing the switch on one of the days that we are heading out to a park early (have them pick up stuff first) and then take a break near lunch head over to our new resort to check in....(now don't forget that they don't deliver bags until after 3 pm) so you could actually spend most of the day at the park and then return to newest resort for check in and do dinner there...get use to the new place, get your room and then do whatever.........it really is pretty painless! and to have that extra room is just great.

go on the dis and use the points calculator........I know you are not sure when you can go in 2009, but remember that for the resort that you want owners of a particular resort can make a ressie I think at the 12 mo window, whereas someone who doesn't own at the one you want cannot book until 7 months prior......I have been working with the same women and she is great.....we even talk by phone, which makes it more personal......I am actually sending a card off to her today just to say Hello!

If you can do it, please try....your hubby many not be too excited about changing, but once her realizes how much more room you will have he will be THRILLED that you booked it this way.

Just some food for thought!

Pamela
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards

Missymouse - You are WONDERFUL! Where is your award for helping a clueless possible DVC renter???? You DESERVE it! Those numbers do not sound that bad. Plus, I could shave a little bit off by using AAA for the value part of it. I will have to show these numbers to DH, who will be fine with this - as this is what we expected (even a little better than I expected).

I may end up buying tickets this year for next year, in fear that they will go up again. I probably won't save ALOT, but I will save some.

The thought at staying at a DVC resort is getting me VERY excited! I really never though much about it until I read Dee doing it. Thanks Dee!

Now I just have to start reading through all the rental things on the DIS - even though it is a bit confusing - but it might get more clearer with the more I read.

LUVmy boys - Yes...It would be nice to have more options for 5. But we chose to have 5, so I guess we are stuck! Can't put one of them back! LOL But maybe someday WDW will reconsider their options for larger families, but seeing that they sell their rooms pretty good, I doubt it will ever happen...
    Angela
    Sunshine Rewards

Or you could stay at POR W-Sat. nights for $930 in one room then move to a DVC resort

OKW would be 164 points or $1640 for a total of $2570
    SSR would be 189 points or $1890 for a total of $2820
    AKV if you could get standard 175 points or $1750 would be total of $ 2680
    AKV Savannah (more likely)209 points or $2090 would be $3020
    Wilderness Lodge would be 210 points or $2100 for a total of $3030

Or if you could shave off one night and do 9 nights it would decrease your cost to the following

POR/OKW $2030
    POR/SSR $2280
    POR/AKV standard $2320
    POR/AKV Savannah $2430
    POR/Wilderness $2430

Here is my thinking you could pack clothes for the first 4-5 days then you would have laundry facilities for the remainder of the trip,.
    Sunshine Rewards

I think I would go with POR that fits 5 as well. Better then having 2 rooms. Unless your kids take a long time in a bathroom then 2 bathrooms may be nice.

I so hope you can make it work. I LOVE DVC. We were going to buy but we live in the west coast and so we would only go maybe every 2 years. We also made a list of places we want to vacation and though we do Love WDW we also want to see other places so decided we will just pay to rent every time we go. I know that will get spendy over time BUT it allows us to be more flexible. So no DVC for us. And truthfully I am really happy we decided not to buy.

Another nice thing about DVC is at this time you can DDP without buying tickets through Disney. We did that last time and it was nice. We probably won't this time but it is a nice bonus.

If you go back to my trip report you can see pictures of SSR. So lovely
    <Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by linanglab View Post
    Yeah....gets pretty pricey - and that is trying to be as cheap as possible! I really hope that we stick to our guns and NOT do POR again. We like the resort, but DH especially wants something different. Not a whole lot of options for families of 5 that is very affordable to a regular blue collar family!

I about choked when I saw Missymouse's numbers for 2 value room! ACK! Now that does not include our AAA discount. But on top of that, figure 5 10 day passes AND flights AND food....sometimes I wish I did not like WDW as much as I do! LOL It doesn't help that WDW looks at 10 year olds as adult too! I only have 1 more year for a child ticket. Then we will have 5 Disney adults!

Okay....where is that DVC YOAMD prize that I am supposed to win! It would be nice to have that right about now. These numbers are killing me! LOL
    Angela-just a thought, but have you looked into one person (adult) getting an AP and looking at AP rates? That would also make you eligible for DDe, which is an extra $60, but gets you 20% off food.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
    Angela-just a thought, but have you looked into one person (adult) getting an AP and looking at AP rates? That would also make you eligible for DDe, which is an extra $60, but gets you 20% off food.
    I have not looked into AP rates. Someone on DIS said you would have to stay at least 12 nights to actually save money. I have not broken that down either.

Question: Does DVC resorts have refillable mugs? If you do a split stay, I am assuming that you have to purchase the mugs at each resort. That would get pricey. Or does DVC resorts have special mugs that can be used at all resorts?
    Angela
    Sunshine Rewards