Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DVC - yet another rental question....

DVC resorts do have the refillable mugs for each individual resort but some of them are inconvenient to get to. (Like the Boardwalk for example)

MS will allow 5 in a 1 BR, but as noted, they will not provide bedding for that person. Also, not all the AKV 1 BR will hold 5 either.

Another friendlier place to look into renting DVC points and ask questions is www.mouseowners.com/forums. I've been a member of the DIS for many years but will not go to the DVC boards there since they are just not always nice LOL Mouseowners will tell you what you are looking for but are much nicer about it if you ask an unpopular question (ie. 5 in a 1 BR)

I also second looking into an AP for 1 family member. The AP discounts on rooms aren't as great as they used to be but the DDE card is awesome! If you eat at a lot of TS, that will pay for itself many times over.

We've been DVC members for several years now and love it.
    Sunshine Rewards

Angela~
    I haven't done this but it is what I have read. Refillable mugs have gone genereic so they are not just one resort themed. There is controversy on this. Some say it is the length of your stay some say only your resort. But most agree you can do it and no one will really say anything. Especially since DVC owners are allowed to pool hop so they may need to take their cups other places. I wouldn't worry about it. Also some DVC's are harder to get refills at, just because of location.
    <Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by linanglab View Post
    I have not looked into AP rates. Someone on DIS said you would have to stay at least 12 nights to actually save money. I have not broken that down either.

Question: Does DVC resorts have refillable mugs? If you do a split stay, I am assuming that you have to purchase the mugs at each resort. That would get pricey. Or does DVC resorts have special mugs that can be used at all resorts?
    Yes, they have refillable mugs. I own at SSR so it's what I'm most familiar with... when I was last there in January the mugs were labeled "Disney Vacation Club" so I think the answer is yes, you would have to buy them twice.

I would definitely split my stay be ENDING with whichever DVC resort you select. There isn't a Disney resort I don't absolutely love for one resaon or another but be forewarned that after you go DVC it will really spoil you!! With a family of 5, it won't come as a surprise to you how much easier life is with a washer/dryer. The kitchen also comes in quite handy even if you aren't cooking large meals.

DD (21) and I staying at AKV for the first time in May... can't wait!!!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Jean View Post
    Yes, they have refillable mugs. I own at SSR so it's what I'm most familiar with... when I was last there in January the mugs were labeled "Disney Vacation Club" so I think the answer is yes, you would have to buy them twice.

I would definitely split my stay be ENDING with whichever DVC resort you select. There isn't a Disney resort I don't absolutely love for one resaon or another but be forewarned that after you go DVC it will really spoil you!! With a family of 5, it won't come as a surprise to you how much easier life is with a washer/dryer. The kitchen also comes in quite handy even if you aren't cooking large meals.

Yes...I am afraid that we might feel spoiled. We felt spoiled by having a curtain between the bath and the bedroom portion of POR compared to what there was at ASSports! LOL! Not sure how much the kitchen will make a difference as much as the laundry. I refuse to cook on vacation. We do eat granola bars, etc., for breakfast though.
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards

Magical JenK is offline I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!

Quote Originally Posted by linanglab View Post
    Yes...I am afraid that we might feel spoiled. We felt spoiled by having a curtain between the bath and the bedroom portion of POR compared to what there was at ASSports!
    Love it!

Loving this thread & yeah Pam (missymouse)! Wow! You certainly have done your homework! I know who I'm going to if we ever think about DVC! I'm really learning a lot here! Keep it up!

FWIW: I think you should do POR & then the DVC you'd save money because you only need 1 room vs 2 at the values & THEN you'll go to the lap of luxury of DVC rather than going from big room to small room...EVERYONE will be so happy!!

One question...when Pam was quoting the point values for one week...is that 5 nights or 7 nights? I would guess 7, but not sure. Thanks
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800

Angela, thanks for posting this question and thanks to all of you who posted info and replies! I have briefly looked into renting points in the past too but didn't find it as affordable as many people posted about on the dis. All I kept thinking of is how many more nights we could stay at POR for the same price as fewer nights elsewhere. Longer stays always won out over nicer accommodations!

We are also a family of 5 so we're faced with the same limitations. If we go this summer, we will be scraping up every penny to get there so POR it will be! However, I'd love to look into other options for future trips. It's nice to see some $$ figures to compare.

Let us know what you decide on Angela! You know we all like to live through others trips and planning!
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Jean View Post

FYI, we were at SSR earlier this month on the DDP and got the refillable mugs, they were the exact same "Year of a Million Dreams" generic mugs that are found at all the resorts now. Not sure when they are going to change those though.
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

I might be able to cut a little off the price also if I went Tues - Sat at POR and then Sun - Thurs at DVC. It would be an equal stay. Was hoping to stay more than 1/2 at DVC, but this might be a good compromise - don't want to be TOO spoiled, now do we?

Oh...the YOAMD commercial is on RIGHT now! Ahhh.....Just had to add that in. I LOVE those commercials!
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards

We never cooked in our kitchen BUT we did make hot chocolate and popcorn and we had a huge fridge for all our waters. Next time I want to do a few breakfasts in our room. I am thinking about bringing things like potatoes, pancake mix, oil, etc. that can last in my luggage. maybe even a dry cookie mix for evenings where we stay to swim. (I do know about delivery of groceries and may look into that) Still planning thinsg so this may all change.

With staying at a DVC you could also buy less park day tickets since you will be there so long and use the community hall at a DVC. They have some really fun things.
    <Sunshine Rewards

Another thing you might consider is the Family Suite at All Star Music

Rack rates" (full price) for the family suites are $169 value season, $209 regular, $239 peak, $259 holiday.

They sleep 6 people.

So if your dates fall in regular season it would be about $945 or if it is peak it would be $1080

So I would even do that before the two rooms at a value I think because you would have at least one queen size bed instead of the 4 doubles. Yuck!

Can you tell I like a big comfortable bed when on vacation.
    Sunshine Rewards