Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: DVC - yet another rental question....

If you want OKW or SSR you might be ok. I don't know how popular July 4th week is for DVC but if you are doing the DVC at the end of the vacation you might have a better chance. You want to do everything as close as possible to the 7 month mark as possible because that is when all resorts are open to all DVC members. So for example if I owned at SSR I could book SSR at 11 months or any of the others at 7 months. By waiting until 7 months you can rent from more people because they won't be limited to their "Home" resort.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by linanglab View Post
    Member services will allow 5 without extra bedding and towels, and you can rent an extra towel pack for $6 when you check in. Don't forget that OKW has that big laundry room in each 1 bedroom too, so throwing towels in the washer and dryer daily is not an issue if you MUST have a fresh towel every day. We usually just throw them in the dryer to freshen them. Also, the OKW laundry room makes a great little bedroom for a small child on an air matress or the cushions from the sofa.

This is a response to the question I asked about 5 in a 1 bedroom. I also asked about EMH and they did not answer that. However, throughout the thread it said if there is 5 on the reservation, then they will give 5 keys, which will get us ALL to EMH. Is that right?

If we waited until January to put in a request for a DVC resort, is that going to be too long to wait? DH's work usually closed during the week of July 4th. However, there is talk that THAT week will be mandatory and we will be able to pick our own week. But we will not know until the end of January. Will that make it too hard to find someone to rent to us?
    If there are 5 on the reservation, put on by MS at the time of reservations, currently they will all get KTTW cards for EMH. Of course, there is a long time between now & then. (I've seen reports that CMs will give a 5th card at checkin to people staying in studios too....which even MS will not allow.)

Also there is some speculation that once AKV Kidani Village (sp?) opens, MS will get more strict with the rules. (The feeling is that MS has been allowing it since members have little other option. Now that AKV will have the 5th person option, they have more choices.)

You also have to make sure everyone's name is on the reservation if you intend on using Magical Express.
    Sunshine Rewards

I also was looking into renting pts for a vacation for a family of 5, but decided not to do it because there aren't great options. I don't really understand why Disney made a studio that sleeps 4 and then a 1 BR that also sleeps 4. IMHO, they should have made the 1 BR for 5 and the 2 BR for 6-8. What do families that have 3 kids do when they buy DVC? It seems a little weird to me (and maybe I'm missing something) that you would own a timeshare and then go "hoping" that the CM that checks you in will allow all of your kids to be legally in the room and on KTTK or DDP. I guess Disney has since realized this and that's why they are fixing it by opening AKV with the new 1 BR for 5.

I'm hoping that maybe they will open or renovate some others to accomadate 5, because I would love to buy DVC in the future. Right now we opt to stay deluxe because the room size is perfect for us. I don't feel like there are great mod options for 5 people either. POR looks really nice, but 2 double beds and a trundle seems cramped to me, and if I had to do 2 rooms at a mod, I'd rather just have the 1 at a deluxe for the location. Last year at the Polynesian, we had plenty of room and we brought granola bars, yogurt, fruit, milk & cereal, and bottled water and had no problem fitting it into the fridge and pantry area. A microwave would have been nice, but that's the extent of the eating in I'm doing on vacation anyway.

Angela,
    Maybe Disney thinks we had too many kids?

BTW: my upcoming trip is only 5 nights which is why deluxe is doable. If you are staying 10 nights I could see how it would be out of the question.

You'll work it out. You've got time to check out all of the options, and the split stay sounds like a good idea. Maybe between now and then Disney wil renovate one of the older ones and add the sleeper chairs .
    Dorothy
    Dorothy

Sunshine Rewards

Famililes of 5 are hard to accomodate I suppose! We really do not mind cramped quarters. They all pile on the couch with us - even if we are on the loveseat, they all seem to sit with us. LOL! My middle boy loves sleeping on the floor, so a blanket or sleeping bag would be fine with him. He hardly sleeps in his OWN bed! But I know there is a fire code, so that plays into effect.

I would love deluxe, but, even if we could swing it financially (unless I was loaded! LOL) I am such a frugal - or some would say cheap - that I just rather spend the money on other things than the hotel.

I have been reading through all the threads on the DIS. Thanks to you all - especially Missy mouse (YOU ROCK!) I am understanding it a little better. DH is all for the rental. I am hoping to find someone I can trust that can help me get what I want/need.
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards

O, I am so glad you are going to try it. I had a few people approach me about renting so don't go with the first one. Make sure you feel comfortable with all they ask of you and get any info that makes you comfortable. Also I know some say to do Paypal but that only protects the seller and not the buyer. We did a cashiers check so I can at least trace that. Also I was going to go with a man who was selling them for 12 a point. I was happy with that but it fell through and the next women offered 11 a point!! Boy was I glad the first fell through. We had added a day and that pretty much paid for the added night!

We stayed in the studio and 1 bedroom last time, split stay, and the studio is cramped but the one bedroom felt huge! I think it will be just fine for 5. I cannot wait to see what a 2 bedroom feels like.
    <Sunshine Rewards

I cannot IMAGINE staying in a 2 bedroom! Talk about luxery! I think that they would have to drag me out. I would not want to leave on my own! LOL

You will have to let me know how the 2 bedroom! Talk lots of pictures whenever you rent!

Dee - are you considering buying into DVC? Or are you, waiting like me, to win YOAMD giveaway? LOL!!
    Angela
    Sunshine Rewards

Two bedrooms are great........it has been a while since being in a 2 bedroom (1998 at Boardwalk...and it was only 4 adults) We had lots of room.......so with kids it will be great!

Pamela
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards

We just rented points for the first time in January. We had a 2 bedroom villa at BW and LOVED it!! Loved the w/d and the kitchen. We had previously stayed at POR twice and was worried about staying somewhere else. We were not disappointed. It was awesome! I am renting points from the same person next year.

If you do rent points, they say to get a few references. I did and it made me feel better when I received the recommendations.

It was a hard decision to leave POR but I'm glad we took the plunge and ventured out of our comfort zone. Good luck with your reservations and I hope everything works out.

Melissa
    Melissa

Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

How do you go about getting recommendations for renting points?
    Angela
    Sunshine Rewards

The girl that I rented points from gave me three e-mail addresses to send out for references. I received back 2 out of the 3 and they were glowing so I went with her. We didn't sign any contract or anything. I guess I was really lucky to get such a nice person to rent from.
    Melissa

Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards