Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugh... Need a new Digital Camera any Recs?

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Thanks that first website is awesome. I actually found my old camera available at amazon but I'm going to upgrade since its the same price as that black camera I have listed.

That first camera has mixed reviews and the second hasn't been out long enough to get many. hmm... will continue to research I guess.
    Sunshine Rewards

Good luck with finding a new camera. I'm a HUGE Sony fan. I've had my first Sony for 6 years now and I've bought 2 since then. My first one is still good and kicking, it is just larger and I wanted a small one I could carry around with me all the time. So I bought one of the smaller Sony models. Then last year, my dad bought me a new one out of the blue so now I have three. My camcorder is also a Sony so I guess I'm pretty brand loyal.

I got Becka a Canon S3 for Christmas as I found it for a GREAT price during Christmas sales and I REALLY like it too. It takes some great pictures.

Acutally though, I'm getting ready to upgrade into the SLR cameras though and I think I'll be going with a pentax. There's a photography forum on the DISboards and they are REALLY helpful. You might want to check them out. That's where I've learned that I want the pentax camera.
    *~Kimberly~*

Sunshine Rewards

Daughters, Son-In-Law, and Grandson = An Amazing Disney Experience!

Quote Originally Posted by askomsky View Post
    Hey Catherine here are the websites, (I thought I better check before I went to bed or I knew I would forget!)

The first one is the main one I used, I thought it was the best. The others kinda just re-enforced everything else. (Not sure if all are valid, this is from an email over a year ago!)

HTH!
    April

www.dpreview.com

http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/

www.megapixel.net/html/cover.php

www.digitalcamerasource.info/

www.digitalreview.ca/index011.shtml

Thanks so much for posting these links!!

My Nikon Coolpix 7900 bit the dust a few weeks ago. It's been in the shop and they have pretty much told me it's hopeless. I loved that camera. So easy to use and no red-eye. I figured I would just buy another one the same but it's not being made anymore. There are still some out there, but I thought I should upgrade.

I've been looking online for camera's all day. I really want a Nikon because I love the red-eye feature. My pictures always came out great. So far I think I am getting the Nikon Coolpix S510 or the Nikon Coolpix S550. I am going to look at the websites posted and see if I find something I like better.
    Last edited by ~Kathie; 03-31-2008 at 12:20 AM.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I think I'll check those cameras out as well Kathie. I don't know anyone with a Nikon so I don't have too much experience with them but I know they are good camera makers. I think I might venture out to best buy next weekend too to see what some of these cameras actually look like. I've been reading that some are made out of plastic now not metal which worries me. I tend to be very rough on things.
    Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Glad they could help, the first one (dpreview) was really the most helpful to me.

I'm not really loyal to anyone brand, but I do love my Sony and it really takes awesome pics. I just finished helping out with the yearbook for my son's school and his hockey team and everyone who saw my pics vs the others really could tell the difference.

We just bought a new digital camcorder with a 8gig harddrive, AWESOME!! In this case the panasonic was actually rated better then the Sony, it also had better lighting features so that's the one we went with.

I do know there are just certain brands that aren't meant to be good digital cameras. Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus are probably the top ones.

I will get a digital SLR eventually, but it'll be when I convince DH I need to upgrade! lol
    Sunshine Rewards

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

Huge Sony fan, here, too. I just bought my second one. The other was only a 3.2 and I have had it for 4+ yrs. Wanted a new one for Disney. I saw one I liked, wanted to research it. (That is why I am such a slllooowww shopper, research everything) My sister came for a visit and she had a new camera...mine. She is just as bad, or good, as I am about researching plus she minored in photography, majored in computers, had a digital company for awhile, so I trusted her. Not that Sony is better than others but at least every bit a good. I found mine in the outlet and got it for $130, it sells elsewhere for $200. I have never bought outlet Sony stuff but all my Dells are and they have been great. Also, I went thru SR and got credit.

I am sure whatever you get you will enjoy taking lots of pictures in UK.

I went to look at camera's today and ended up buying the Nikon Coolpix S500.
    I bought it at a local camera store since they had the best prices.

Come to find out the S550 is very new so they didn't have one in stock. I did look at the other 2 on my list as they had both of those. Luckily, the 2 they had were the low end and high end as far as pricing went for the level of Coolpix I wanted. The S550 is in the middle. The S600 was $70 more than the S550.

S550
    2.5 LCD screen
    5X Optical Zoom
    Digital Zoom 4X
    10.0 Megapixels

S600
    2.7 LCD Screen
    4X Optical
    Digital Zoom 4X
    10.0 Megapixels

The S510 and the S600 were both pretty small.....a lot smaller than my 7900. According to the comparison printout I did, the S550 is about the same size.
    All have image stabalization and have the automatic red-eye reduction. I love that about Nikon. The Coolpix are very simple to use.

I think going to to store to look at them and actually try them is important. I needed to see how it would fit in my hand and how easy it was to use. I did find that the on/off button for the S510 was really small.

It's going to take me a bit to get used to it being smaller but it works the same way and has a lot of the same features as my old camera so that's a plus for me.

You can get the specs from Nikon's website and they have a store location as to where you can find a particular model.

I did a printed comparison from Best Buy between the S550 and the S600. They don't carry the S510.

DH is a photography nut....he used to work for a photographer taking wedding pictures. He searched for a new camera for himself for months and finally settled on a Nikon D80. Too fancy for me but he is thrilled with it.

Oh....and the Nikon S550......comes in a few colors. I ordered BLUE!!!!

It did come with a charger and USB cable and software.

Good luck finding a camera. I can't wait to get mine.

April - what do you understand about ISOs and noise/grain? I have been reading reviews and now I'm confused. I thought you wanted to take pictures at high ISO but it sounds like that is not the case.

I went to best buy to hold cameras and take in-store pictures. They didn't have a good selection so I'm going to try circuit city out as well.

Anyways I had the cameras all set at L, Superfine, and the highest ISO and they were looking a tad blury and/or grainy. My current camera I keep at L and superfine (not sure the ISO) and it works out well - no issues. So I'm thinking maybe I had the ISO part wrong on these cameras.

So today what I found was - I like the ease of using a Canon since its what I am use to, I didn't like the Nikons button positions/layout so those are off my list, Sony - didn't pay too much attention to. The one I did pick up did take nice pictures. Will try again at CC this week.
    Canon's - the black one on my first or second post was there. It was easy to hold and use. Didn't like the new buttons on it but I can adapt. but...
    I found the Canon SD1100 IS and fell in love. Took nice looking in-store pictures and was easy to use. Buttons similar to old camera, etc.
    but... its more than I was wanting to pay ($250 vs. $160), it uses that special battery, and didn't have a working memory card so I couldn't really look back at the pictures I was taking. It is also too new to have any user reviews.
    Sunshine Rewards

Good that you are trying it out....holding it. So important and not every camera works for everyone.

I can't answer your question about ISO. DH hasn't showed me all of that yet.

Mine is a lot smaller than my previous Nikon Coolpix 7900. The buttons are very small and someone with big fingers couldn't use this camera.

Good luck..........I'm sure you will find something you will be happy with.

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    April - what do you understand about ISOs and noise/grain? I have been reading reviews and now I'm confused. I thought you wanted to take pictures at high ISO but it sounds like that is not the case.

I went to best buy to hold cameras and take in-store pictures. They didn't have a good selection so I'm going to try circuit city out as well.

Anyways I had the cameras all set at L, Superfine, and the highest ISO and they were looking a tad blury and/or grainy. My current camera I keep at L and superfine (not sure the ISO) and it works out well - no issues. So I'm thinking maybe I had the ISO part wrong on these cameras.

So today what I found was - I like the ease of using a Canon since its what I am use to, I didn't like the Nikons button positions/layout so those are off my list, Sony - didn't pay too much attention to. The one I did pick up did take nice pictures. Will try again at CC this week.
    Canon's - the black one on my first or second post was there. It was easy to hold and use. Didn't like the new buttons on it but I can adapt. but...
    I found the Canon SD1100 IS and fell in love. Took nice looking in-store pictures and was easy to use. Buttons similar to old camera, etc.
    but... its more than I was wanting to pay ($250 vs. $160), it uses that special battery, and didn't have a working memory card so I couldn't really look back at the pictures I was taking. It is also too new to have any user reviews.

Ok going to have to look at my camera settings to answer your first question, but I did want to add that The Camera Shop, most malls have them are the best place for testing out the cameras. Their always (99% of the time) charged have memory to test out etc. So if CC doesn't help you narrow it down I would go to the camera shop to at least hold and figure it out. That's where I went the last time to hold Canon and Sony cybershot.

also I know it's more then you wanted to pay for, but again you get what you pay for and IMHO $250 for a good camera that could last you potenitally 5-6 yrs is a good price. Of course unless the $160 one is only temp. and you'll be looking to upgrade past 5 yrs. That's just my "expert" lol opinion.
    Sunshine Rewards