Thread: Buying contacts online

Default Buying contacts online

I'm due for an eye exam in the next two weeks or so and I know I'm going to need new contacts. I just checked 1800contacts.com, AC Lens, and Vision Direct and they are soooooooo much cheaper than what I pay going thru my eye dr. I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer a few of my questions.

Is there any way to get my insurance info entered in there when I place my order? I have never ordered contacts or a prescription online before and didn't go far enough in the checkout process to find out. I'm not even sure my insurance will work on this, but I figure I'll give it a shot, if only to apply it to the deductible. I have a HSA and plan to pay using that debit card...could that possibly pose a problem?

I also noticed that they have to check with my eye dr. to verify my prescription. Has this ever been a problem for anyone else? Exactly what info will I need to have handy when I place my order?

I noticed 1800contacts was more expensive and ACLens and Vision Direct were both the same price for Acuvue Advance, which is what I wear. The cash back is the same for all three, so it may come down to whoever has the best coupon. Any reccommendations there?

Thank you!
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

I have bought from 1-800 contacts and never recieved credit for my sale even though I was EXTREMELY careful to clear cookies and not preshop because I knew it would be a big credit and I didn't want to lose it. They won't ever get my business again. When I ordered through them they didn't allow you to enter insurance I am not sure how the others are. I do know that once you pay for them you can always fill out a paper claim and file with your insurance and if they pay for that type of thing they will reimburse. I am not sure about the HSA either since we don't have one but I believe those work very much like a debit/credit card so it shouldn't be an issue.
    Sunshine Rewards

It depends on your insurance. What I do is I get my exam and there get the max contacts my insurance will cover. When I run out of them, I take the boxes, order from Vision Direct (I've used Rxes from 3 different doctors and never had a problem) and get them delivered. I like Vision Direct, but I'm a drugstore.com whore, which may affect my love of them.

Vision Direct also had a handy receipt to print off to submit for your HSA-mine doesn't have a debit card, so I don't know how that works.
    Last edited by Hedy; 04-01-2008 at 10:47 PM.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

they basically said everything, they dont take any insurance plans. They also call your eye doctor to make sure everything is current and when your rx does expire

Thanks for the help so far. I'm willing to bypass insurance if I need to, since it's only going to go against my deductible which I have no way of making anyways and this way would save me over half what I would pay at the eye dr. -- not to mention gas costs to pick them up. Plus, I'll get a real nice SR credit!

Hedy, have you ever had problems with Vision Direct creditting? Also, does them calling to verify your prescription slow down the shipment any?

Thanks again!
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

I believe with 1-800 contacts you only get credit on the first order.
    I was with 1800contacts for a while, but vision direct had cheaper prices and SR money back, so I switched.

You just need your prescription info, and doctor info, and the company will call your doctor and confirm your prescription. This step hasn't slowed down my contacts. I love getting them mailed to me, and I love the SR money back.

I send my bills in to my medical reimbursement account, as my regular insurance doesn't cover contacts.
    Faith
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Proud to be SR member #3129

I use AC Lens and I haven't had problems with them crediting or with them calling my eye doctor to verify the prescription - very easy process and definetely worth it to save the $$ and gas driving to pick up my lenses at the doctor. Plus love that SR credit!

***Can the tag fairy please review Hedy's above post? ***
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by mmm611 View Post
    Thanks for the help so far. I'm willing to bypass insurance if I need to, since it's only going to go against my deductible which I have no way of making anyways and this way would save me over half what I would pay at the eye dr. -- not to mention gas costs to pick them up. Plus, I'll get a real nice SR credit!

Hedy, have you ever had problems with Vision Direct creditting? Also, does them calling to verify your prescription slow down the shipment any?

Thanks again!
    No credit problems. It can vary on your eye doctor, but I entered my (new) contact info in my order one day, and my order was shipped the next day.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm611 View Post

Thanks again!
    I've had good luck, too, with Vision Direct. Only mistake I made was the first time when I clicked on the Vision Direct link from inside the Drugstore.com web site. That didn't work right - I had to file a TT and did end up getting credit.

Jeanne - happily residing in Wisconsin Badger country

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post
    ***Can the tag fairy please review Hedy's above post? ***
    I second that!!!
    Sunshine Rewards