Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So we are going to cancel

Cate,

Sorry you have to cancel this trip. I know how much you were looking forward to it. But, I can say - if DH hadn't had a hotel, we wouldn't have gone - that 2-1 pound/dollar conversion is just horrible! It was outrageously expensive. Perhaps your dad will get another assignment and you'll be able to try again. Set up a DDR at the Rose and Crown, have a pint and talk over dinner about how much $ you saved by not going - $ that can go towards a honeymoon.
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Quote Originally Posted by fourfoxesinpa View Post
    Cate,

Sorry you have to cancel this trip. I know how much you were looking forward to it. But, I can say - if DH hadn't had a hotel, we wouldn't have gone - that 2-1 pound/dollar conversion is just horrible! It was outrageously expensive. Perhaps your dad will get another assignment and you'll be able to try again. Set up a DDR at the Rose and Crown, have a pint and talk over dinner about how much $ you saved by not going - $ that can go towards a honeymoon.
    The fear of how much it actually was going to cost is what did us in. I had figured the fixed costs pretty easily - transportation and hotel. The unknown which was food and entertainment that I couldn't really guesstimate is the reason we aren't going. I had come up with a "ballpark" figure but I think even it was really low in the grand scheme of things. I want to go and do it right when we go not skimp and be extremely cheap and miss out on important things or come back and get slapped with a bill twice as high as we had planned.

We are doing Rose and Crown so it should be fun. Not quite the real thing but pretty close in my book.
    Sunshine Rewards

Catherine.....

sorry you had to cancel, but things always happen for a reason........I am with you on not skimping on a trip like this...who wants to worry about every little penny....you want to enjoy yourself! With this economy going the way it is I am glad that the girls and I aren't going to Ireland this summer (that was the original plan, but my friend who lives there will be in Australia and the US most of the summer, so she told us to come summer2009) at first I was a little sad, but now I am thrilled to be waiting and save some more for that trip....

Have fun making your call for an upgrade to disney....it all works out in the end!

Pamela
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards

Catherine I am so sorry that you had to cancel your trip.

Your Disney trip sounds great. I enjoy reading about it.............and a wedding and honeymoon ........so many things to look forward to.

I hope you are having a better day today.
    Marilyn

Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Thanks Marilyn. I am doing much better this morning. Mike is pretty good to me. He let me mope and cry without saying anything. He even was on board with still going until I came to the same realization he's been having for a while on the cost and feeling like we are being cheap/cheating ourselves so I appreciate that. It made it feel like a joint decision not like I was pushing one way and he was pushing another.

So I'm going to keep saving and keep exercising so that when we do go I not only have lots of spending money but I'm skinny as well

Pam - I look forward to your Ireland trip planning and trip report. That is on my list for when we do go over there. PS I love you really sold me on going there. So pretty.
    Sunshine Rewards

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

Sorry you had to cancel, I know how much you were looking forward to it. Having to get Euros for my upcoming trip was a bad enough hit to the pockets book and the dollar to pound exchange is even worse than that.

As for Greece, it is the perfect place for a honeymoon. I would highly recommend you stay in Santorini (in the town of Oia) as the sunsets are amazing!
    Sunshine Rewards

Megan - have you been to Greece before? I know this is silly but are they friendly to English speakers (do they speak english and do they hate or like Americans/Canadians)? Mike would prefer an english friendly destination whereas I will just figure it out as we go.
    Sunshine Rewards

Catherine, sorry you had to cancel your trip! I'm a firm beleiver in things happening for a reason! It's great that you two have each other and you're on the same page. Take it from someone that's been married for 27 years, that's very important. That alone, should lift up your spirits.

The money you will save from not going can definitely add on to the wedding and honeymoon of your dreams! One that the two of you will never forget!

I'm glad you're feeling better!
    Sunshine Rewards

Sorry you had to cancel your trip Catherine!

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    Megan - have you been to Greece before? I know this is silly but are they friendly to English speakers (do they speak english and do they hate or like Americans/Canadians)? Mike would prefer an english friendly destination whereas I will just figure it out as we go.
    I have. We did a four day Greek Islands cruise, spent 3 days on Mykonos and spent about a week in Athens and parts north. We had no problems with language and the people were very friendly. We even went into local grocery stores and managed to find what we needed/wanted and buy it. The people in the tourist areas speak better English than if you go off the beaten path.

As far as hating North Americans, we didn't encounter that but as with any travel it is advisable to avoid the hot topics of politics and religion!

Santorini is a place I would love to go back to. It was beautiful and we didn't have nearly enough time there.
    Sunshine Rewards